Home

MyLeague draft story: Following careers of 2 players - Which will be best long term?

This is a discussion on MyLeague draft story: Following careers of 2 players - Which will be best long term? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
MyLeague draft story: Following careers of 2 players - Which will be best long term?

The story goes like this.

It's the 2027 draft, and the Timberwolves (I'm the Raptors) are looking for a 2nd rounder. They offer to swap 1st rounders next year for my 2nd rounder this year. I figure, why the hell not?

Next season rolls along and I really have my eye on 2 of the top prospects. Even though my chances of getting one are slim to none, considering the Timberwolves are a perennial playoff team.

1. Scooter Hood - 19 year old PG that plays for the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Looks to be a surefire starting point guard who can be a difference maker on the court. Averaged 22.8 points per game to go along with 10 assists.

2. Michael Grady - 23 year old SG that played for the Oregon Ducks. This kid is ridiculously skilled and is considered a franchise talent...IF he puts it all together. He has one drawback that may cause some teams to look elsewhere. Throughout his NCAA career he was a HORRIBLE 3 point shot, and keep in mind this is a shooting guard. His ratings for that category are really low. He averaged 29 PPG to go along with 5.7 assists and 7.5 rebounds.

Fast forward to the end of the season, and I'm sitting at the 10th spot before the lottery (much to my delight, the Wolves sucked it up in the 2nd half). Unless I somehow move up into the top 2 through the lottery or trade, it's obviously not happening.

The lottery comes, and I'm watching the teams get announced one by one...and I actually managed to get the 2nd overall pick. No freaking way. I've never moved up into the top 2 with the 10th best odds. Awesome. Now, Portland is picking 1st overall and all 3 mock drafts have them selecting the SG Grady 1st overall. This is perfect for me, because my long tenured PG Tyrone Reynolds is now in his 30's and appears to be losing a step. Also add to the fact that my backup PG for the past 5+ seasons (who was also my 6th man and averaged 22 minutes per game) just left via free agency to start somewhere else. I want Hood. He's younger, and much more of a need.

After good workouts from both players (Grady clearly needs work on his moving 3's) I'm really banking on taking Hood 2nd. I thought about swapping picks to secure the player, but figured with all 3 mocks having Portland taking Grady (and them already having a decent starter at PG) I should be good.

You guessed it...with the 1st overall selection in the 2028 NBA draft, Portland selects...Scooter Hood from Nebraska. Crap...I pick Michael Grady 2nd overall and in the off-season, I send him to camp to work on his shooting.

Anyways, let's fast forward to their rookie seasons. Grady is my 6th man, and Hood is Portland's. Hood actually wins rookie of the year, AND 6th man of the year. That's a damn fine rookie season. Grady surprises everyone and actually manages to have the best 3 point shooting percentage on my team. All in all, it's looking like a win-win for both teams.

Then their 2nd season comes, and we're now about a quarter of the way through. Grady has become a star player, and although it's still early..he's looking like an MVP candidate. If I'll be damned.. Maybe it will work out for me after all.

So, if anyone's interested in following along..Who would you guys have taken? The PG or the SG? Who's looking like the better player? Grady is having a monster year, but keep in mind he's a few years older. Will this work out well for both teams?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: MyLeague draft story: Following careers of 2 players - Which will be best long te

35 games in, and Grady is actually first in all-star voting for the Eastern Conference backcourt. Also, he's currently winning the race for MVP.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »