Home

Purely Gameplay - Which game is the best?

This is a discussion on Purely Gameplay - Which game is the best? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2015, 02:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Purely Gameplay - Which game is the best?

Just pure basketball gameplay, not accounting modes or Association or anything. Which was the best 2K?

Played 2K13 at my friends house recently because that's all he had... I think 2K13 did a pretty good job. One of my favorite things was the dribble stick which I thought was fairly intuitive.

2K14 next gen I think is pretty fun and had good presentation, but it's kind of like buying the first year of a new card model.

Admittedly I haven't played that much 2K15 next gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Purely Gameplay - Which game is the best?

I've played every nba 2k since 2k5, before that i played live from 99 i think until 2005. Also, i mostly look at responsiveness, animations and controls as i rarely run plays. If i looked at plays and ai my list might look a little different.

- With that being said i have 2k13 as the best one by far. The controls were extremely responsive, basic animations (dribbling, passing, shooting, rebounding, etc) were fluid/quick and made sense for the most part.
- My second would have to be 2k11, i'm one of the few who really liked the block animations that the masses (cheesers) asked to be taken out of the game. Other than that, again, basic controls and animations were much better than the mess we have now.
- Third would be 2k12 or 14 (ps3).

The older ones (2k5-2k9) are honestly too long ago for me to really remember any specifics. I know i enjoyed them a lot but i also know i was a little less demanding back then, so it's hard to rank them.

2k15 ps4 is kind of middle of the pack for me, the unresponsive controls and slow/dumb animations really limit my enjoyment. But at least it's an improvement on 2k14 ps4 which was by far the worst i've played as far as i can remember.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Pro

DurtySoufReppin's Arena

OVR: 4

2K15 has the best gameplay and it's not even close, but 2K11 was my favorite.

2K11 had way more bugs, worse server, more glitches, more cheese, and people forget about it because they only see the good things now, and complain about what we don't have.

It's easy to look back in time and say a certain game had the best gameplay, but you can't compare a game from 2005 to 2015.

A game is as good as the time it was bought, memories of a game are always better than the actual experience.
Grizzlies
Titans
Vols
U.S. Army

Last edited by DurtySoufReppin; 02-13-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtySoufReppin

2K11 had way more bugs, worse server, more glitches, more cheese, and people forget about it because they only see the good things now, and complain about what we don't have.

It's easy to look back in time and say a certain game had the best gameplay, but you can't compare a game from 2005 to 2015.

A game is as good as the time it was bought, memories of a game are always better than the actual experience.

Hit the nail on the head with this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lakers
Juventus

PSN: KingTocco
Old 02-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Quote:

The 2K11 Euro-step / Spin Layup system was absolutely broken. I TO THIS DAY do not understand why this game is so revered...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
The 2K11 Euro-step / Spin Layup system was absolutely broken. I TO THIS DAY do not understand why this game is so revered...
Online was basically unplayable because eventually, someone would start doing this every trip down the floor and then it was game over. I found certain ways of stopping it, but they only worked about 20-30% of the time. The other 70% of the time, it was pretty much an automatic bucket.

The other thing that drove me nuts about 2K11 was that there really wasn't any way to contest shots without pressing the block button. Holding L2 when a guy would shoot was supposed to make your guy contest the shot; however, your guy would sometimes bite on pump fakes, which was never good, or he just wouldn't do anything at all when the offensive player pulled up for the shot. The inclusion of the R-stick contest the next year was a huge improvement.

I feel 2K13 was very good, but the in-ability to block dunks was a major problem. Anybody with the posterizer badge and a little bit of steam heading to the rim was an automatic bucket, no matter how good of a shot blocker you had protecting the rim.

2K15 to me has the best all around gameplay. There are still some animations you get stuck in, and there's a little too much clipping when dribbling in heavy traffic, but the game plays very solid otherwise. I know the sluggish, "weightier" feel on defense is annoying to a lot of people, but I love that people have to give more consideration to what they want to take away from the offense because it's much harder to fly around the court and take everything away, like in years past. I hated playing those guys who could seemingly stop the drive, double-the-post, and block the outside shot all at once. Positioning and not over-committing yourself plays a much bigger role this year.

It certainly makes Team Up mode much more enjoyable, which is my mode of choice.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Banned

I've only played 14 and 15, but 14 is much better imo.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:

- More bugs: those were gone after all the patches. Maybe there was some minor glitch left that didn't bother me just like shoe glitches don't bother me in 2k15.

- Worse server: most definitely but that has nothing to do with gameplay.

- More cheese: debatable. It had the euro step, spin dunk and the alley oops. 2k15 has the baseline dunk, zigzag nonsense and alley oops.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »