Home

How to run a successful offense

This is a discussion on How to run a successful offense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15
How to run a successful offense

I am the Rockets in MyLeague and I am always getting stomped by 20 point or more it seems. I blame my offensive game because I just can't seem to gel. I have D Howard and Harden so there is superstar power there, but I feel like my offense is just really sloppy. I run plays and sometimes they work but rarely ever. Also for some reason D Howard has been shooting a terrible percentage close to the basketball which I believe is very unrealistic. I am using Pokes slider btw and they give me realistic stats, but I just suck or something lol.
How do you guys run a successful offense? Or do you have any tips you can share?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: How to run a successful offense

Assuming you're using the actual Rockets roster:

Use your Free Lance offense. Using the Default just gives you awful spacing and guys always cut at the wrong times. It's just bad. (Left D-Pad, R1, then switch there). Go to Coaching Settings - turn PlayVision on ALL.

I'd try out the Pace offense. Basically, it's a 4 out 1 in offense with an emphasis on ball movement and PNRs especially. Donatas and Smith can shoot 3s decently. This gives you room to attack the paint and if the defense collapses, there's going to be shooters on the corners or the wing.

From there, a couple things to keep in mind. If you set your POE and hit the Quick Play button after crossing half court - it's going to give you a quick Pace play based on the POE. You can always break out of the play and unlike Default - the guys are going to be spaced nicely.

More importantly, you have to know your personnel. Pace is going to put everyone in positions to run PNRs. Every PNR doesn't have to lead to a score. If you're running a PNR with Trevor Ariza or Corey Brewer - do it with the intention of getting the defense moving. Just as a decoy. Ex. If you run an Ariza PNR then pass it to Harden on the opposite wing or top of the key - the defense isn't going to be ready to handle another quick PNR or isolation.

Also it kind of sucks but hitting the roll man on PNRs is really hard in this game. That's Howards bread and butter. Make sure you use different types of passes if you see that he's open on the roll. Lob passes, bounce passes, and alley oops are a MUST. If you throw a normal pass, it's getting picked off if there's any sort of traffic. Also be ready to hit the shooters on the opposite side after D12 PNRs. If Howard isn't open, one of your shooters definitely aren't guarded.

Last thing - Dwight should be able to cause trouble for a lot of centers in the post. Either get deep position by backing down weaker centers or press triangle and face up. Dwight can drive around a lot of centers. Easy way to draw fouls.

tldr; use Pace. play fast. run PNRs. move the ball.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
MVP

kmoser's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrand15
Assuming you're using the actual Rockets roster:

Use your Free Lance offense. Using the Default just gives you awful spacing and guys always cut at the wrong times. It's just bad. (Left D-Pad, R1, then switch there). Go to Coaching Settings - turn PlayVision on ALL.

I'd try out the Pace offense. Basically, it's a 4 out 1 in offense with an emphasis on ball movement and PNRs especially. Donatas and Smith can shoot 3s decently. This gives you room to attack the paint and if the defense collapses, there's going to be shooters on the corners or the wing.

From there, a couple things to keep in mind. If you set your POE and hit the Quick Play button after crossing half court - it's going to give you a quick Pace play based on the POE. You can always break out of the play and unlike Default - the guys are going to be spaced nicely.

More importantly, you have to know your personnel. Pace is going to put everyone in positions to run PNRs. Every PNR doesn't have to lead to a score. If you're running a PNR with Trevor Ariza or Corey Brewer - do it with the intention of getting the defense moving. Just as a decoy. Ex. If you run an Ariza PNR then pass it to Harden on the opposite wing or top of the key - the defense isn't going to be ready to handle another quick PNR or isolation.

Also it kind of sucks but hitting the roll man on PNRs is really hard in this game. That's Howards bread and butter. Make sure you use different types of passes if you see that he's open on the roll. Lob passes, bounce passes, and alley oops are a MUST. If you throw a normal pass, it's getting picked off if there's any sort of traffic. Also be ready to hit the shooters on the opposite side after D12 PNRs. If Howard isn't open, one of your shooters definitely aren't guarded.

Last thing - Dwight should be able to cause trouble for a lot of centers in the post. Either get deep position by backing down weaker centers or press triangle and face up. Dwight can drive around a lot of centers. Easy way to draw fouls.

tldr; use Pace. play fast. run PNRs. move the ball.

This is really good info, I will try all of this. Thank you very much man
Old 02-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoser
I am the Rockets in MyLeague and I am always getting stomped by 20 point or more it seems. I blame my offensive game because I just can't seem to gel. I have D Howard and Harden so there is superstar power there, but I feel like my offense is just really sloppy. I run plays and sometimes they work but rarely ever. Also for some reason D Howard has been shooting a terrible percentage close to the basketball which I believe is very unrealistic. I am using Pokes slider btw and they give me realistic stats, but I just suck or something lol.
How do you guys run a successful offense? Or do you have any tips you can share?
im using pokes sliders too, so maybe i can help.

im doing a myleague with the knicks(real rosters, im using 2k's default rosters). however i am in year 2 and i have made some changes to the roster. i signed greg monroe and kostas koufas, i drafted kentucky center Karl Towns. i also made a trade to get kyle singler. i still have larkin, galloway, hardaway and carmelo.

now anyway, my offense is actually not all that succesful. but thats more in part to me missing tons of wide open jumpshots. if i could make more jumpers id be shooting a very high percentage.

my advice to you is:

1) practice your jumpshooting with all your players, and do it OFTEN. it is hard to make jumpers with these sliders. you need to be close to perfect on their releases. i also suggest bumping the 3 point shooting up from 47 to 48 with these sliders.

2) run plays. if you dont like the plays in your playbook, go edit them. running plays keeps your offense balanced and can be great for when you need to settle down and stop free lancing.

3) dont be afraid to break a play off when you see an opening. for example, you may call a play that is designed to set up harden for a 3, but maybe someone else will be wide open during the process. dont be afraid to pass it to that open man. take what is there. plays are good because they get your players moving around and moves the defense. you dont always have to run them to the T.

4) high post with dwight howard. call a high post play for him, get him the ball, then press traingle to make him face the basket. use a jap step then launch to get by your man and to the basket. this works all the time for me with monroe, towns, melo. any big man with decent quickness should have success doing this. you could probably have success doing this with josh smith also.

5) pick and roll. you are not going to run a set play everytime down the floor. i know i dont. i freelance quite often actually. but when you do freelance, you need to utilize the pick and roll. it makes the defense move and gets them out of position. it can get you open for mid range shots, it can get you an open lane to the basket or it can leave the roll man wide open. using the pick and roll(or pick and pop if you have a shooting big man) is a must.

6) DONT BE AFRAID OF CONTACT. you are not going to get to the rim with ease using these sliders. you will not be getting wide open dunks or layups all the time. you need to take the contact and get to the free throw line. i shoot like 25 free throws a game playing 11 minute quarters. you should be able to do this with ease while using harden.

7) know when to push the pace. get on the fastbreak as much as possible and try to get easy looks before the defense is set. but also know when to slow it down and run a play.

8) DEFENSE. great defense creates great offense. steals and blocks especially lead to easy buckets in transition.

i hope some of this helps. im currently 9-8 in year two with my knicks, but ive been playing without melo who suffered a broken kneecap after the first 6 games. so im doing pretty well all things considered.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I'm definitely not an expert, not even very experienced at 2K15. I do run plays as well, but what works for me is moving the ball. Especially if you have some good 3pt/midrange shooters.

I move the ball around, as the commentators call it - "with no agenda". I don't score much in the paint (about 30% of my team's points) but I end up with 35+ assists a game... and not many FTs.

I play with Dallas and TC is pretty lame in the paint (I admit I'm not that skilled in the low-post, though). I shoot the fadaway with Dirk several times a game, which is most of my low/high post game. But moving the ball again and again works.

EDIT: When I think about it, it's like I'm playing college ball during an NBA game. If you watch college hoops when they move the ball around back and forth until a guy gets open - that's pretty much my game.

Last edited by youvalss; 02-22-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
MVP

kmoser's Arena

About the freelance offense, do you have to set it up every possession or will it stay put for the entire game?
Old 02-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 1

It will stay man
Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Most of the big items have already been covered. Only thing I will add is to be sure to look for trailers in transition. I've obviously never seen you play, so you may do this already. But I see a lot of people online who seem to think that every fast break HAS to end in a layup/dunk. This leads to them forcing passes into traffic or forcing up contested shots.

Don't forget to look for teammates trailing the play for open 3s. You obviously don't want to pass up easy opportunities when available, but transition is a great place to get open looks from beyond the arc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »