Home

The Real Problem with "Got Next"

This is a discussion on The Real Problem with "Got Next" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2
The Real Problem with "Got Next"

NBA 2K14 has had 5 different patches and have yet to fix this totally. We've all experienced it, where the court glitches and a "Got Next" circle is highlighted when there's no person on it, effectively killing the court. This produces more wait times as there are less opportunities to get into a game.

What if this happens in the Jordan Rec? It only has four courts, with a cap of 80 people.

4 courts
40 people playing
20 people on "Got Next"
20 people having to wait till a game finishes to even get into a "Got Next" spot, then have to wait for that entire game to finish

3 courts - 1 glitched
30 people playing
15 people "Got Next"
35 people having to wait till a game finishes to fight to even get into a "Got Next" spot (since there's only 15 available), then have to wait for that entire game to finish

Scenario that will likely happen to everybody
You get into the Jordan Rec to find that all of the Got Next spots are taken. You think, okay that's fine I'll wait. When that games over you've finally managed to get a spot. You wait patiently for 30 minutes for the game to get over, only to have a squad of 5 get into the squad spots right next to you. Boom, the game picks the squad first. Now you've wasted 30 minutes and have to decide whether you want to wait yet another 30 minutes to MAYBE get into a game, or go do something else.

Last edited by Jhawkfootball06; 10-02-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The Real Problem with "Got Next"

Who really thinks that waiting to play is fun? Isn't this covered in game design 101?
Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

They should forget the idea of the park where you can see other courts you don't give a **** about. It was a nice idea, really 'nextgen' but it doesn't bring much positive to the experience. Waiting in line to play is just dumb and an exemple of taking the realism too far.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto
Who really thinks that waiting to play is fun? Isn't this covered in game design 101?
Could it be to make it easyer on the servers ?
Old 10-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

It adds a touch of realism, but it's boring to just stand there and watch other people play. That's where they really went wrong with the concept.

I think rather than making you stand next to the court in one spot, they should give you something to do while you wait. For example, you get to a court and kind of "sign up" for the next game. From there, you can still move around, and go to an empty court and shoot around, get a scrimmage type of match with the other people waiting, or even go into an offline game. Then, once it's actually your turn, you return to the court. Or maybe get a notification that it's your turn, and you have a minute or two to get to the court or you lose your spot (in case you're now invested in what you were doing while waiting lol).

Last edited by El_Poopador; 10-02-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Could it be to make it easyer on the servers ?
Doubt it....in 2k14 it was a pain in the *** just trying to get all your friends in the same server. Once all together good luck playing with or against each other just for fun since all the courts are full....
Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Rookie

jr2424's Arena

OVR: 13

If there were things to do (maybe shoot around on other courts) while waiting it would be one thing, like stepping on the "Got Next" spot and then being able to go to a practice court until the real game was ready. I could see this then. But to just have us wait makes no sense and was the main reason I played only a handful of My Park games last year. I would rather sit in a lobby for a MUCH shorter time than sit around watching others play.

Ken Griffey Jr.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm embarrassed to say but I was on mic with my brother and some friends and I fell asleep waiting to get a game on....nothing like hearing me snore on mic...lol

**** this mode

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »