Home

The Real Problem with "Got Next"

This is a discussion on The Real Problem with "Got Next" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: The Real Problem with "Got Next"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I feel the issues with waiting and definitely agree with the idea of giving Users other options while having "next". That said, not to be rude but if the "got next" wait concept is exactly like what was in NBA2k14 MyPark, I guess that means only play it if/when you have a couple hours free. That sucks for people that don't have the time yet want to try out the mode but it's just one mode, there are probably others more suited for shorter time frames.

IMO this concept makes it much more likely that the people that do wait and play in the Rec, enjoy taking an online pick up game of video game basketball "seriously". As someone that's been away from hardcore basketball gaming for awhile, those are the type gamers I want to play in this mode, not those just looking for a quick basketball fix, for whatever reason.
Couldn't agree more. If this brings on more "serious" gamers, then I'm all for it.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #18
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I feel the issues with waiting and definitely agree with the idea of giving Users other options while having "next". That said, not to be rude but if the "got next" wait concept is exactly like what was in NBA2k14 MyPark, I guess that means only play it if/when you have a couple hours free. That sucks for people that don't have the time yet want to try out the mode but it's just one mode, there are probably others more suited for shorter time frames.

IMO this concept makes it much more likely that the people that do wait and play in the Rec, enjoy taking an online pick up game of video game basketball "seriously". As someone that's been away from hardcore basketball gaming for awhile, those are the type gamers I want to play in this mode, not those just looking for a quick basketball fix, for whatever reason.
The problem is that 2K puts in a lot of effort to make some sort of nebulous Second Life / Playstation Home / Football Superstars hub where you can't do anything in order to force us to wait a long damn time between games. We get it, such next gen. Except that concept was already better executed in Football Superstars where you didn't have to wait for other players to finish their games before you got to play. That game came out in 2008 and was free-to-play.

When I play FIFA Pro Clubs I don't even have to press a button after I finish a game, it automatically finds us another and you can play for hours without having to wait at all. Crew is in the last-gen version of 2K15. Why do we have to go through all this difficulty to simply play?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Sucks bad man. I just don't understand how they can go through with this. It's just a bad idea.

Some people like me might want to get a quick game in with my friends before work but that won't be possible because I'll at the least have to wait 30+ mins and possibly watch other games.

Amazed at some of the incredible stuff they pull and sometimes equally amazed at the dumb things they do like this and removing halftime shows, headbands and etc.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I think the main reason for the "Got Next" template is to keep people from getting into a game, getting down a few points, and then quitting. If you can almost immediately get into a new game, there are a number of people who won't play through a little adversity, they'd rather just quit and get into a new game. It's a problem that 1v1 and Team Up modes face. No one jumps online so they can play against the CPU after 45 seconds.

With the gamer knowing that there's a good chance that they'll have to wait to get into another game, it encourages them to stick it out and finish the game. Ultimately, that's a big positive, but the wait times are also a big negative. Guess it's up to individuals to decide which one outweighs the other.

I do agree though that there really needs to be a freelance, shoot-around court while you're waiting. Shoot, even in real life, I don't usually stand and watch the on-going game. I'm calling my spot and then going to shoot on another court, stretching, working on ball handling, shooting against the wall, sneaking on the court while they're at the other end to shoot a quick jumper, etc. There needs to be something.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #21
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I think the main reason for the "Got Next" template is to keep people from getting into a game, getting down a few points, and then quitting. If you can almost immediately get into a new game, there are a number of people who won't play through a little adversity, they'd rather just quit and get into a new game. It's a problem that 1v1 and Team Up modes face. No one jumps online so they can play against the CPU after 45 seconds.

With the gamer knowing that there's a good chance that they'll have to wait to get into another game, it encourages them to stick it out and finish the game. Ultimately, that's a big positive, but the wait times are also a big negative. Guess it's up to individuals to decide which one outweighs the other.

I do agree though that there really needs to be a freelance, shoot-around court while you're waiting. Shoot, even in real life, I don't usually stand and watch the on-going game. I'm calling my spot and then going to shoot on another court, stretching, working on ball handling, shooting against the wall, sneaking on the court while they're at the other end to shoot a quick jumper, etc. There needs to be something.
They've fixed this with "Rep." You play the game to win and gain yourself rep, which in turns gives you bonuses. If you leave, you get negative rep. With this concept, getting into games quicker wouldn't influence somebody to quit more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #22
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2

It's essentially a 30 minute loading screen.

EDIT:

Fans: "This is essentially a loading screen."
2k: "No it's not! You can go to the MyPlayer store and change outfits, edit your jumpshot, edit your attributes, etc all from the pause menu!"
Fans: "You can do those similar customization aspects in Bungie's Destiny....all during any loading screen. Those characteristics do not make it any less like a loading screen."

Last edited by Jhawkfootball06; 10-02-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #23
Rookie

MichaelC323's Arena

If we could bet on the games we're watching while we wait it might lessen the annoyance.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oMarcus2Ko
2K can no longer use the "Well crew was coded on last gen" excuse. when they have coded in a total of 4 new game modes (MyGM MyLEAGUE and My PARK/The Stage) for next gen systems. its sad when they continue to INSIST that waiting to play a 5v5 game is suitable. When i see the jordan rec center filled on Day 1 im walking smooth outta there and searching for a new server. They have a "Squad Up" feature that allows you to invite your friends to a squad and if the squad leader gets a spot then the whole squad gets a spot. and they made an arena for indoor play. i just dont understand with those features in game why they couldnt just make crew mode.... its baffling
Yes, this thread was absolutely about Crew mode. Excellent response to the issue of Got Next.

I'd have to agree with it being a wonky idea to have players wait around for a game to finish. If it's a server issue, then I get it. Otherwise, it's just an odd feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »