Home

where are the leaderboards???

This is a discussion on where are the leaderboards??? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: where are the leaderboards???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ksinceday1
I hope there is a leaderboard next year and just me and you are on it. You will always see a number 2 in front of your name
You'll be 89 next year though.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Hmm, can't agree with this.

If a leaderboard would make the game more cheesy, then that's the game's fault. I don't understand why 2k can't focus on creating a balanced competitive product. Not that people won't still pick the Cavs... it's lame, but I don't have a huge problem with it. Just like in a fighting game people pick the best characters.

I personally don't care about winning that much, but when are we going to see real competition? It seems like 2k has gotten worse in terms of exploits. Am I wrong here? Or did they just never fix the exploits so everyone mastered them?

I think leaderboards, the abilty to pull up your park stats (in depth stats, not just PPG, RPG, APG), your rec stats, whatever... maybe even your mycareer stats should you really want to do such a thing. Sharing those things... not just by pressing a button but actually having a site (beyond the game) where people can view them is HUGE. It only encourages cheese because it encourages people's competitive spirit. The cheese part is another issue.

Is that also why there is no crew? Less cheese? We need comp. We need to see our W/L and our stats, individually or if you still wanna play ranked matches. Remember REP after each game you played? What happened to that? It's just crazy...

-Smak
It really isn't, not completely anyway.

Obviously the fact that there's cheese is the game's fault and to be clear i'm not talking about picking the best team in online matches. I'm talking about mypark. Zigzag, holding nuts, stepback corner threes with all the badges.

The point is, and you basically said it yourself, that leaderboards give a lot of people a "reason" to use that cheese. Right now the park is the most fun i've had since 2k11's pickup games. Sure there's still some cheesers out there but it's a minority. Most people actually play "normal" (uptempo and1 mixtape type normal) basketball. If you add in leaderboards the amount of cheesers skyrockets. That's just how it works. It was the same thing in 2k11, pickup games were fairly normal for the most part while crew was a cheesefest 8 out of 10 times.

In theory i'd love leaderboards as well but in reality, as long as there's cheese in the game, it just makes the playing experience a whole lot worse. Also, it's not competitiveness, it's poor character/sportsmanship. There's a difference.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 10

It's mad cheesy. To the point where I'd say I never lose unless A. we're just being stupid. B. Have randoms who are terrible or C. Face people who cheese on another level.

And my record is only like 70%. People in the park are either terrible, cheesy, or pretty good but get stomped cuz we are better.

the only tough matches are when people are picking under the rim and using mad illegal picks + running to the corner. Even then, win about 50% of the time.

I've seen some of the top dudes. Awhile ago I saw the top dude in Rivet and played against him. We lost 2 out of 3 cuz of some stupid mistakes, but he went up the court dribbling behind his back before they patched it. I still ripped him 3 or 4 times with my PF. While he was going behind his back. lol. Gotta say it was a pretty exciting moment for me.

It's fun, but when you look at what the stage is... it's like wow. It's good that all of the people who do that stuff are at the stage, well, mostly. But there are huge holes.

I want stats. Leaderboards come from stats. Would also like a rep rating so we could know who is cheesy. I really disagree that it's gonna make people more cheesy to have a leaderboard. They put taunts and dances in the game. People are into just cheesing, winning, and dancing.

Remember: the majority of people in park are bad. Then there are bad people who cheese. The amount of good people... and good people who cheese... is very small. When you face them, you realize that it's not fun at all. it's barely fun to win cuz you are like hah and you know they are mad... but not really.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

I just want a place where I can view my online stats in depth like you could in NBA 2K10. Leaderboards, IMHO, just promotes unsportsmanlike and "cheesy" online games. I'm glad that they got rid of leaderboards, because I was so sick of people bragging about their "rank".
Old 03-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
It's mad cheesy. To the point where I'd say I never lose unless A. we're just being stupid. B. Have randoms who are terrible or C. Face people who cheese on another level.

And my record is only like 70%. People in the park are either terrible, cheesy, or pretty good but get stomped cuz we are better.

the only tough matches are when people are picking under the rim and using mad illegal picks + running to the corner. Even then, win about 50% of the time.

I've seen some of the top dudes. Awhile ago I saw the top dude in Rivet and played against him. We lost 2 out of 3 cuz of some stupid mistakes, but he went up the court dribbling behind his back before they patched it. I still ripped him 3 or 4 times with my PF. While he was going behind his back. lol. Gotta say it was a pretty exciting moment for me.

It's fun, but when you look at what the stage is... it's like wow. It's good that all of the people who do that stuff are at the stage, well, mostly. But there are huge holes.

I want stats. Leaderboards come from stats. Would also like a rep rating so we could know who is cheesy. I really disagree that it's gonna make people more cheesy to have a leaderboard. They put taunts and dances in the game. People are into just cheesing, winning, and dancing.

Remember: the majority of people in park are bad. Then there are bad people who cheese. The amount of good people... and good people who cheese... is very small. When you face them, you realize that it's not fun at all. it's barely fun to win cuz you are like hah and you know they are mad... but not really.

-Smak
How can you not see the correlation between the stage and leaderboards.

Why do you think pretty much everyone cheeses in the stage? Because there's something to gain... a ton of VC. Hell, even the rec center has a lot more cheese than the park. Why? Because in the rec it's like a 1000vc difference between winning and losing. In the park it's a 100vc difference. Nobody cares about 100vc, which is why there's not that much cheese.

Now, if you put in leaderboards there's something to gain (in most people's minds... not mine) and more will cheese. How can you claim having leaderboards won't make people more cheesey? There's evidence of the contrary all over the place. Hell... it's simply human nature, present company (along with a small minority) excluded. If you give "rewards" most people will do whatever it takes to get that reward, whether that reward is a lot of vc or a top spot on the leaderboard.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:40 AM   #14
Rookie

There is a really easy fix for all of this. Have separate matchmaking, one for ranked and one for unranked. That way if you want to avoid the "cheesers" you can play just for fun in the unranked. And then the people who want to actually see how good they are at the game can play the ranked. I liked the suggestion above too about the more in-depth stats, especially for mycareer. I mean it would be nice if they added steals, blocks, turnovers, fg%, and 3pt% at least. That would really be rewarding for some of the fans that really like statistics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »