Home

How to run and replicate the early 2000's Suns offense?

This is a discussion on How to run and replicate the early 2000's Suns offense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3
How to run and replicate the early 2000's Suns offense?

I wanna replicate the Suns 7 seconds or less offense from back when they had Nash and Amare. Does anyone have any plays that would represent this and what should I set the POE and the offensive sets to? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: How to run and replicate the early 2000's Suns offense?

I have to log on and give you some plays but his offense was built around the PnR. Use Scott O'Gallagher's 41 high PnR play. Use plays labeled 'fist' and change your Offensive motion to Pace or the 41. Also inside of that, change your cuts to freelance. Off the Suns' PnR back door cuts were key and thats the only way you'll get them to do it.

I don't pimp my youtube channel but if you need a video, I can make one but hopefully my broken early morning answer will get you on the right track.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
I wanna replicate the Suns 7 seconds or less offense from back when they had Nash and Amare. Does anyone have any plays that would represent this and what should I set the POE and the offensive sets to? Thanks.
I have been working on this for like 3 months and still can't find any plays that really show case the Nash Era Suns ... BUT last night I think I found something, I will have a video done maybe by Monday ? I need to lab the play in depth to see if it does work. 7 or seconds or less is quite the bar to meet haha Give me a couple of days, hopefully I can crank out a good quality video on this for you ^_^ A lot of my followers on YouTube has asked for this too, I miss MVP Steve Nash also

Sam Pham
Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

Thanks a lot guys. Really Helpful stuff. Can't wait for the video Sam. Love your stuff. Doesn't have to be exactly 7 seconds or less, I just wanna go super up tempo. 3 balls, pick n rolls, stretch 4, athletic 5, with a distributing point guard running the show.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
I have to log on and give you some plays but his offense was built around the PnR. Use Scott O'Gallagher's 41 high PnR play. Use plays labeled 'fist' and change your Offensive motion to Pace or the 41. Also inside of that, change your cuts to freelance. Off the Suns' PnR back door cuts were key and thats the only way you'll get them to do it.

I don't pimp my youtube channel but if you need a video, I can make one but hopefully my broken early morning answer will get you on the right track.
where do i find this 41 high Pnr play? I can't find it in the plays catalog.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13

Download patch 4 and just nonstop pick and roll and shoot threes!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:57 AM   #7
QNo
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
where do i find this 41 high Pnr play? I can't find it in the plays catalog.
https://youtu.be/jn3bHxon7W0?t=32s
Old 03-25-2015, 03:05 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPSpvdpnxUw

There's a decent about of 1 in 4 out, your POE would probably be get shooters open (or whatever it's called)

I think this has been said a fair amount of times back then, but a lot of Nash/Stoudemire pick and roll was improvisation and pure genius from Steve Nash. Reports said they rarely ran plays on offense and just took what the defense gave them in a pick and roll situation.

Part of what made the Nash/Stoudemire pick and roll so deadly was that both guys could shoot, and both guys can take it to the rim. Some pick and roll guards I'd consider are Chris Paul, Stephen Curry and James Harden. When you can shoot and drive it gives you a ton of options.

You kind of want the same with your bigs, so Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis are obvious candidates. Cousins would also work well IMO, and Aldridge would be good but a bit more on the pick and pop side.

Other Suns players that played during that time

Raja Bell - a 3 and D guy, maybe Danny Green

Shawn Marion - Incredibly versatile defensive force. Maybe a Draymond Green or Nicolas Batum... but Marion was a better finisher and bigger threat on the open floor. Maybe even a Paul George or Kawhi Leonard.

Leandro Barbosa - A straight gunner, whoever has the fastest speed/quickness rating can fit his role. Schroeder isn't exactly the same player but he's a gunner.

Joe Johnson - Hard to find a comparison for young JJ, but basically a versatile 2 guard who can hit the 3 ball. I think Klay Thompson is a little too good for this role, but maybe you could take a chance with someone like McLemore or Stauskas.

Boris Diaw - Bigger body who can handle the ball and pass the rock, averaged a 13-7-6 in his best season. Batum may be the closest thing here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »