Home

Dynasty building(Spoiler!)

This is a discussion on Dynasty building(Spoiler!) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Dynasty building(Spoiler!)

I realize "Realism" is a subjective word, but I would like to discuss something.

I've always hated the financial trade rules. So every MyLeague Career I've played I turned those rules off.

Perhaps that might be why. But I've started careers with the Kings and the Knicks, and have turned them into dynasties quickly. Here's how I do it:

1)Scout for potential players, I don't care how good their offense or defense is, just their potential

2)Trade away older, talented players for first round picks(More on this later)

3)Always use training camps to improve potential, nothing else

4) Sign Lebron James or Kevin Durant(if possible, but really suggested).

5) Hire the best staff, no matter what. With Coaching staff, hire coaches that complement each other(Hire a head coach that has A in defense, C in offence, and an assistant coach with vice versa skills, for instance). High A potential scouts too.

I'll go back to number 2. I do not want anyone 30 years old, or higher. Strictly guys in their 20's. This is where no financial trade rules makes a difference(and also hurts realism), because you can trade guys with a salary for just picks and clear a lot of cap room really quickly. I've screwed a lot of teams this way, because they suck and I've received many first rounders and future first rounders because of it. Recently I started a career with the Knicks. 6 years into the future, I traded my 89 OVR, 30 year old vet to the Pacers for 3 first round picks, yes, three. And that trade netted me eventually 3 top five first rounders, and set myself up for good. I went to a conference finals, lost, then would win 4 NBA finals in the next 5 years. Also, had 4 straight 60 win seasons, and one 70 win season. During this time, I only had one player that was below 80 OVR. All the rest were 80 or 90 overall players. By the way, only two were over 28 years old. Yes, only two.

The one problem is, however, that I was in complete salary cap hell, which is a given for building this type of team. At one point, I was $45M over the cap.

Now, one question, If I had these types of teams, obviously the owner would want to maintain a lower budget without paying tax. But, I would win 4 NBA finals in 5 years. Would the owner fire me for having such good rosters? Sure every game would be sold out basically, but still financials would take a hit, but every player on my team are extremely good.

Obviously this type of team couldn't be built with the financial rules of the real NBA, but it's still fun to build the best team that you can build, realistic or not.

Best teams you have built?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Dynasty building(Spoiler!)

Yes, realism is subjective but there is little that is realistic about your style of play - each to their own, but I couldn't find abusing the financial rules, cheating the CPU for draft picks and signing the best player(s) in the league, having a starting lineup of all 85+ OVR and winning or being in 4 out of 5 Finals in a row.

Unless its a Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce caliber player, no one trades aging players for more than a couple of 2nds

Training camps in game aren't technically cheating , but they aren't necessary for realistic progression.

Yes, you can easily sign LBJ or KD to any team if the moneys right, but he is not going to Sacramento, Minnesota, Philly, Milwaukee etc etc.

Also why is it a spoiler? lol

So if that's the way you play - cheesing to get a team of superior players and ignore realistic cap restrictions, then fine. So saying "realism is subjective" and proceeding to explore a scenario that is completely unrealistic is a but redundant
Old 06-02-2015, 03:36 AM   #3
Rookie

TheBallGuru's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah man no offense but it's very easy to build a dynasty especially with no financial rules.

For one every free agent you offer will sign with you.

Other thing is CPU trade logic is awful...

A 6 year old can build a dynasty very easy in this game if they don't play realistic.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #4
Rookie

Sometimes you need good house rules!! But depends upon the level you are playing at (unless you are just simming of course).

My current house rules:
- Don't use the training camps (the CPU doesn't seem to use them, and the potential camp makes it far too easy to develop elite players).
- Don't offer trades (including don't use the trade finder tool). I only do trades when they are offered by the CPU.
- Normal financial settings.

Works for me whilst playing games in HOF/sim, and limiting the trades is a good way of keeping things slightly more sim. When I played superstar/sim I had some much harsher house rules! Cannot say they were realistic, but I'm always just looking for the perfect level of challenge.

If anyone is bored and wants a fun (& slightly stupid) challenge, try the 'yes man' challenge. Basically do a myLeague with normal financial rules, pick any team (but preferably a lower tier team with lots of potential trades, like the Nuggets or the Jazz), don't offer any trades, but 'say yes' to every deal the CPU throws your way. I had a hilarious couple of seasons with the Nuggets doing this, although you had to be prepared to lose every player just as you start to like them! Was also a good way to play with lots of different players, trying to fit lots of square pegs into round holes!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
MVP

jk31's Arena

You could change every slider to 99 also. So you can hit every contested three with your 90+ ovr players and win every game by 100 pts margin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

I try to only initiate trades on 5 occassions which would allow for max 5 trades from one season to the next.

I only allow myself to complete 1 trade per occassion:
1. December 15th (when rookies and free agents in the real NBA are allowed to be traded)
2. The trade deadline week after all star.
3&4. The NBA draft (I allow multiple moves on this day but only allow trading a star player to get a lottery pick)
5. Right at the start of the season in emergency situation only

Then for Free Agency I only fill needs. For example if I have a Starter or lottery pick I don't go after another star at the same position unless I am a large market like the Lakers, Knicks, or w/e
Old 06-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Sorry guys I completely forgot to watch this thread when I made it.

Appreciate the suggestions.

jk31, The only setting I usually change is the financial trade rules. Everything else is by default, and I let the CPU play the games out; I don't want any influence in the stats, other wise it'd be very hard to evaluate my roster at the end of the year with the possibly inflated stats, if you know what I mean

dragula15, Listed it as a spoiler just in case someone didn't want to find out how to build teams like the way I do, but obviously super teams can be easily built with out financial trade rules.

I do realize that financial trade rules are the problem I have, however I do not, ever, build through free agency, I trade my 29+ older guys as I said for draft picks. Which is a consequence of turning trade rules off, because all the good guys you pick will eventually want tens of millions of dollars, and results in salary cap hell.

But I do enjoy it, building these types of teams, it's the way I call "fun", even if it's not realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »