Home

This may sound crazy but...Should 2K get rid of Tendencies?

This is a discussion on This may sound crazy but...Should 2K get rid of Tendencies? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #41
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: This may sound crazy but...Should 2K get rid of Tendencies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
But this exactly what the current crop of tendencies do...
I didn't want to get into so much detail but that is the only way they can get it right.

First each category of play type should be broken down by percentage of possessions with possibly a min floor

I will start with say transition: Say a player who played in most of the games 25% of his possessions are in transition.

Under that player he should have a list of options that should total up to his possession total like the minute rotation.

Made up numbers but
Pull up for three 10% no sub category
attack basket 7%- sub category under here you would break down the type of shot taken or side of basket again by %'s The goal is to have it all add up to 100%.
spot up jumper 8% no sub category

Okay one more example

Isolation should have a %

No dribble- sub category ball fake, jab step as sub categories then shoot

Dribble- should have all the dribbles broken down sig as sub , sizeup, etc then shoot jumper option attack basket sub category shot type, pull up three, pull up jumper

So basically every play type should have it's own subcategory of tendencies of what you do by the actual action and the percentages should force the action to add up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #42
Just started!

OVR: 0

I like this idea because it seems true to life and would give strength and other attributes a real meaning.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #43
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I didn't want to get into so much detail but that is the only way they can get it right.

First each category of play type should be broken down by percentage of possessions with possibly a min floor

I will start with say transition: Say a player who played in most of the games 25% of his possessions are in transition.

Under that player he should have a list of options that should total up to his possession total like the minute rotation.

Made up numbers but
Pull up for three 10% no sub category
attack basket 7%- sub category under here you would break down the type of shot taken or side of basket again by %'s The goal is to have it all add up to 100%.
spot up jumper 8% no sub category

Okay one more example

Isolation should have a %

No dribble- sub category ball fake, jab step as sub categories then shoot

Dribble- should have all the dribbles broken down sig as sub , sizeup, etc then shoot jumper option attack basket sub category shot type, pull up three, pull up jumper

So basically every play type should have it's own subcategory of tendencies of what you do by the actual action and the percentages should force the action to add up
I agree that they should be labeled as percentages. Some of them do function as percentages though but not the ones you mentioned (I don't think).

Driving dribble moves function as percentages with override. The No Dribble Move at 85 would mean the player will perform no dribble move 85% of the time. Then during that 15% time that they do do a dribble move it will break down to the dribble move ratings (which are SUPPOSED to equal up to 100 when added altogether).

The same thing goes for pass out on drive vs attack. Contest Shot vs Block Shot. The post moves have a system like that where the first level is if they do a move at all and the second level is which move they choose to do when they do a move.

I think the big problem in understanding for us is there is no limit. Meaning you can set all tendencies to 100 if you want which makes absolute no sense when considering them as percentages which they must be given the way coding computer tendencies in any program works.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:47 AM   #44
Pro

I think they should take a page out of what NBA live 09 did but better. See nba live 09 had something called dynamic DNA. Basically It was a system that took from real life player stats and tendencies and automatically updated them into the game after each game in real life had been played. 2K could really use something like this. For my league and my GM they could tie tendencies to ratings and player development.

If a player has an 87 3pt rating then have the tendencies automatically adjust to his rating. Also i don't really think they should take tendencies out of the game though. I do however think that they should take ratings out of the game and just have everything percentage based, even jump shot timing should be based from real life shooting percentages upon excellent releases. That coupled with a revamped tendency system would give us the most simulation style basketball game ever. Sorry i went a little off topic there but I so very badly want sports video gaming to take that next big step.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:32 AM   #45
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

I think the OP is absolutely right.

This DOES sound absolutely crazy!

No. The tendency to DO something is completely separate from the ABILITY to do it. And, no, not every player follows the normal "well, they tend to do what they are good at..." But, that's a been covered already. Pretty much ends the discussion in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
I think they should take a page out of what NBA live 09 did but better. See nba live 09 had something called dynamic DNA. Basically It was a system that took from real life player stats and tendencies and automatically updated them into the game after each game in real life had been played.
Hate to break it to you, but that's no different from what they do now at all. The only difference is that it was driven by some simplistic formula and was WILDLY inconsistent by the time it got into the game. There's a reason you don't see it anymore.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 06-25-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »