Home

Cheese, Sim, or Yogurt: High 4-1 Spread Pick and Roll Offense

This is a discussion on Cheese, Sim, or Yogurt: High 4-1 Spread Pick and Roll Offense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

OVR: 0

AToday we will discuss if this type of offence is Cheese, Sim, or Yogurt (in-between: not my term someone awesome came up with this lol). In the video below you can see my HOF SIM game vs Coach2K and how i was able to get some solid looks consistently via running a 4-1 High PnR Freelance with ISO inputed as a deadly mechanism.

From what i learned from 2K15, if someone plays with a POE that doesn't work in harmony with their def settings, calling a quick iso before every pick will breakdown such a defence.

Manual rotations can only make up for so much, weak/no def. settings can equal to some non sense defensive play by the AI. I know a lot of people dislike the AI help D and rightfully so, but i believe setting POEs correctly with the right settings can avoid that. The above example showcases the wrong settings can get you in some ugly messes.

As always feel free to discuss ^_^

Sam Pham

Last edited by itchyroll_51; 07-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Re: Cheese, Sim, or Yogurt: High 4-1 Spread Pick and Roll Offense

Sim imo.

Nothing wrong with a pick and roll based offense.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
Sim imo.

Nothing wrong with a pick and roll based offense.
That quick ISO though, you saw how everytime I do it the Defense will just go crazy ? I attriubte this to no def. settings but still it shouldn't go that crazy ... That AI David West rotation was nerve wrecking ...
Old 07-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

Yo itch id like you to do another vid for your sim or cheese series (i told a friend id make it but making vids is very time consuming) this offensive play style also completely breaks down defenseive settings and messes with the ai. Here we go ON OFFENSE WHILE INFREELANCE YOU CAN MANUALY CALL FOR MULTIPLE PICKS AT THE SAME TIME up to three. This is done by tapping circle then holding the player icon you want to set the screen the pressing up to two more icons before you release the first 1. You can manufacturer some very goofy looking plays even hanving some players fade wile others slip or roll. Depending where you call them will determine how they stack up. If you get time drop a try it in freelance and drop a vid. So we can disscus whether is sim or cheese.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

The main problem with this set in 2K is you can put 4 guys on the perimeter and still grab tons of offensive rebounds.

Rebounds per game IRL:
Pacers - tied for 4th in league
Heat - 30th

And that was without our best player all year.

You wouldn't know it in 2K though as Sam will tell you there were multiple possessions his Heat grabbed multiple offensive rebounds.

As he points out in the video, I had all my guys in the paint yet you can see them run away from the rebounder in the first two clips and that's with crash defense on.

Most rebounds go to the opposite side of the shooter but guys in 2K go to the same side.

Main issue with Sams play on offense is he plays at warp speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 07-11-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #6
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
The main problem with this set in 2K is you can put 4 guys on the perimeter and still grab tons of offensive rebounds.

Rebounds per game IRL:
Pacers - tied for 4th in league
Heat - 30th

And that was without our best player all year.

You wouldn't know it in 2K though as Sam will tell you there were multiple possessions his Heat grabbed multiple offensive rebounds.

As he points out in the video, I had all my guys in the paint yet you can see them run away from the rebounder in the first two clips and that's with crash defense on.

Most rebounds go to the opposite side of the shooter but guys in 2K go to the same side.

Main issue with Sams play on offense is he plays at warp speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am 100% with the Coach on rebounders needing to be on opposite side of shooters. I actually out rebounded the coach in this game offensively by 2-3 I think which shouldn't happen. Granted I do work very hard on my manual offensive rebound game, I consider it one of my best skills. Coach is still correct though, AI rebounders are just flat out dumb sometimes... Hopefully it will
Improve next year
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 3

Sim. Bad 2k default rotations. Seems like the Coach2k is an on-ball warrior. All the more reason to adjust d settings.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:08 AM   #8
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Sim. Bad 2k default rotations. Seems like the Coach2k is an on-ball warrior. All the more reason to adjust d settings.
I play the way I do on a defense and don't adjust the settings for a certain reason. If you want to know specifically why check out my website and look for the post:

"Most NBA2K Cheese Happens On Defense
Learn How To Play Sim Defense"

It's a pretty long post and I don't won't to copy it here. I don't think I'm allowed to link it here or I would.

Sam I had our discussions about defensive settings. I have my own opinion on those.

You have to take the complete game in context and not just a few clips. The first half was even 48-48 apiece and the 4th was pretty much even too. I had a drought in the third I couldn't work through. And many called the defense he used in the the third cheese.

My strategy dictates that I have to play well on offense in order for my defensive philosophy to work. I didn't do that in the third and that's the reason I lost and not due to my settings.

After just one loss against Sam, I'm not going to abandon my complete philosophy.

It's just one game.

Most of you guys are also 15-20 plus years younger than I am as well. You guys should all beat me anyway even if I decided to use settings.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 07-12-2015 at 02:12 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »