Home

NBA 2K16 Trailer - Livin' Da Dream, A Spike Lee Joint

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Trailer - Livin' Da Dream, A Spike Lee Joint within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #129
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2K16 Trailer - Livin' Da Dream, A Spike Lee Joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ailer-and-more

Hope it calms down some of the nonsense
Whoa, totally missed that article; a lot of good information in there. With the cinematic elements apparently coming to an end once a player hits the NBA, I wonder if this could usher in the best of both worlds i.e. a linear storyline leading up to the league then free reign upon arrival. I am surely intrigued.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:55 AM   #130
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ailer-and-more

Hope it calms down some of the nonsense
Are we sure this is true? All the lines that have been recorded say "Freq" or Frequency Vibrations, and all official 2K sources suggest this is the nickname you're stuck with. I haven't seen anything contrary to that from a 2K source at all.

How would it work if you can renamed your character's nickname? Does the audio just go silent during the name if it's something other than Frequency?

"Introducing the next NBA Superstar... ..."

"It's the way it's always been. It's up to .... .... first."

My strong hunch is that we're stuck with the nickname until I see official 2K confirmation, especially when 2K folks are spinning it positively as something to find out about in the narrative themselves.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-15-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #131
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Are we sure this is true? All the lines that have been recorded say "Freq" or Frequency Vibrations, and all official 2K sources suggest this is the nickname you're stuck with. I haven't seen anything contrary to that from a 2K source at all.

How would it work if you can renamed your character's nickname? Does the audio just go silent during the name if it's something other than Frequency?

My strong hunch is that we're stuck with the nickname until I see official 2K confirmation, especially when 2K folks are spinning it positively as something to find out about in the narrative themselves.
I interpreted 23's link as saying the guy's actual name, Frequency Vibrations, can be changed. However, the nickname "Freq" will remain, regardless of his full name.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #132
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Whoa, totally missed that article; a lot of good information in there. With the cinematic elements apparently coming to an end once a player hits the NBA, I wonder if this could usher in the best of both worlds i.e. a linear storyline leading up to the league then free reign upon arrival. I am surely intrigued.
This is my hope as well. I see this year as two things:

1: The last hurrah of whoever wanted to turn the mode into a story-board mode and tell the dream story of an inner city street baller making it in the NBA (a take on real 1970's history). My guess it would be the president or whoever keeps inserting himself with quotes, trying to show all us who hated this what we'll miss... Respect to Spike Lee and his movie but storyboard story-telling doesn't belong in a career mode.

2: An actual return to what makes a true career great with the off-season simulator and choices we been asking for years being put in. Sim gameplay being fully enabled this year is very key in my opinion. Hopefully we will see this going forward.

This is my opinion and me reading tea leaves. YMMV, all is well if y'all disagree with me.
Quote:
I interpreted 23's link as saying the guy's actual name, Frequency Vibrations, can be changed. However, the nickname "Freq" will remain, regardless of his full name.
This exactly.

Last edited by Taer; 09-15-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #133
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:

Well I trust Mr Mazique as he's a really cool reporter/media guy. I'm sure he's speaking on his own experience when he went up there. That said

I agree with you also Sundown in the fact that the hype thing has gotten so far out of control that they're bypassing information either off to guys like Dustin on twitter or completely avoiding them altogether.

I don't see this getting any better at this rate. It's one reason why I appreciate a guy like BdoubleO for how much time he took out to answer every single question he could.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:09 AM   #134
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
This is my guess too, which is unfortunate. It would have been nice to at least have 3-4 nicknames we can choose from to at least make it "ours". It wouldn't have been *that* much more effort to record a few extra snippets for some lines.

I hope we can at least change it once we're in the league. If Spike Lee needs a name to sell his story, that's cool. But once we're in the NBA, we need our identity to be ours-- especially if Lee's story is no longer in play and there's no narrative benefit to having a forced nickname.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
This is my hope as well. I see this year as two things:

1: The last hurrah of whoever wanted to turn the mode into a story-board mode and tell the dream story of an inner city street baller making it in the NBA (a take on real 1970's history). My guess it would be the president or whoever keeps inserting himself with quotes, trying to show all us who hated this what we'll miss... Respect to Spike Lee and his movie but storyboard story-telling doesn't belong in a career mode.

2: An actual return to what makes a true career great with the off-season simulator and choices we been asking for years being put in. Sim gameplay being fully enabled this year is very key in my opinion. Hopefully we will see this going forward.

This is my opinion and me reading tea leaves. YMMV, all is well if y'all disagree with me.

This exactly.
I hope this is the case and we will return to a more free-form but nuanced, realistic, and in-depth NBA career simulation. That said, there is nothing wrong with actual narrative elements and good execution and acting in an NBA sim. Having family members, entourage, agents, players, and GM's act out their parts with good deliveries to fill in an open narrative adds immersion to the experience-- so long as it doesn't railroad you into a story that isn't yours and represents "you" poorly.

Unfortunately, the MyCareer of the last couple of years was the opposite of that-- poor acting and execution and forcing your player to act in unprofessional and ridiculous ways, because... story? To say nothing about how GSW champion coach Steve Kerr would be forced out for Warriors rival coach Doc Rivers because again... story?

Having Harlan and crew expound on your player's achievements and background would be great. Having Ernie, Shaq, and Kenny share their takes about your player and then seque from that conversation into one of their usual ribbing sessions while working your player into their jokes would be amazing! Having superstars be interviewed by Doris Burke about the difficulty of being matched up against you and their thoughts on how to approach your game as a opponent, or on the playoff podium elaborating how they were defending you-- TAKE MY MONEY.

Now let us start Twitter beef with Hassan Whiteside written by Hassan Whiteside himself. THAT would be a proper MyCareer.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-15-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #135
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
... How would it work if you can renamed your character's nickname? Does the audio just go silent during the name if it's something other than Frequency?

As I said earlier in this thread:

I bet works exactly like it does in 2k15, inserting "Freq" in place of whatever old nickname you chose in 2k15.

So in the introductions the PA announcer would use your chosen name but in Doris Burke's side-line reporting on your "record" game last ime you played they'd use the nickname of "freq"

95% of the time they'll use your chosen name I bet.

Last edited by Taer; 09-15-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 02:15 AM   #136
Rookie

SteveQ's Arena

OVR: 0

Although I don't wanna be from Harlem and I'm not a fan of the nickname I don't think any of those are deal breakers for me. As long as my name is around the nickname I'll be fine. Now the Harlem thing I'll get over by going to Texas for college. So with that said this mode will hopefully be the best experience I've ever had in mycareer. The only one that comes close from the look of it would be 2K11 but this looks to be much more deep.

Also, some people reacting so angrily to the nickname and other things about the mode should wait for all of the information to be released throughout the week. The fact that there is more information to be put out about this mode makes me pretty excited.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »