Home

NBA 2K16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Players

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Players within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:26 AM   #81
Rookie

cbpo's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltyboogie
What have analytics gotten the Rockets and Sixers?
Advanced stats are cool
but people like you are blind to common sense and just go off what stats say and disregard anything else except those stats
What is this even supposed to mean? I played basketball my entire life and I watch the game with a passion. However I'm not ******** and understand that I don't watch 82 games and analyze every defensive possession, and I'm sure neither do you. There are times where players will miss defensive rotations which leads to points and as a human we won't notice it.

Advanced stats got the rockets to the Western Conference, it also is the driving force behind the warriors play style and the shape of the league today. Teams are increasingly moving toward shooting 3's and attacking the paint and trying to eliminate mid range jumpers as much as possible. The people who don't believe in advanced stats, aka people with archaic basketball philosophies like byron scott are being left in the dust with their extremely inefficient offenses.

Obviously talent is still the single most important thing, but with analytics you can maximize that talent.

It's clear you simply don't understand them that is all rofl. They are very important and thus, why teams are spending so much money to understand them more and will continue to do so.

Your arguments are literally "LOL YOU THINK CURRY IS A GOOD DEFENDER" with no other evidence, because all evidence based off of last year shows curry played above average to good defense. Evidence from previous years suggests he was a poor defender which he was at the time... it's called improving. It's a thing player's can do in case you weren't aware.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2015, 03:30 AM   #82
Rookie

cbpo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
"Measured in points allowed per 100 defensive possessions"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---.---- MY post literally said it's measured in points per 100 possessions, i was saying no how that has literally NOTHING to do or correlate with the fact that it is impacted by teammates rofl.

If you want an explanation by the people who actually created it

"It reflects the impact of each player on his team's scoring margin after controlling for the strength of every teammate and every opponent during each minute he's on the court.

Adjusted +/- ratings indicate how many additional points are contributed to a team's scoring margin by a given player in comparison to the league-average player whose adjusted +/- value is zero over the span of a typical game. It is assumpted that in a typical game a team has 100 offensive and 100 defensive possessions. For example, if a +6.5 "adjusted +/-" player is on the floor with 4 average teammates, his team will average about 6.5 points better per 100 possessions than 5 average players would."

"[The] metric isolates the unique plus-minus impact of each NBA player by adjusting for the effects of each teammate, opposing player and coach. ... The RPM model sifts through more than 230,000 possessions each NBA season to tease apart the "real" plus-minus effects attributable to each player, employing techniques similar to those used by scientific researchers when they need to model the effects of numerous variables at the same time."

There is literally only two ways to measure which is per game and per 100 possessions lol, that has absolutely nothing to do or correlate with the fact that it's impacted by how good their teammates are.

But regardless, don't have to believe me, but if you choose not to believe the creators of the metric then there really is no point in even debating with you rofl.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:39 AM   #83
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

The problem with the entire stat is that any one player does not allow or keep a player from scoring it takes all 5 guys.

It looks likes all its accounting for is that with Curry on the floor the Warriors are better defensively.. Which might not even be determined by his defensive impact alone. It could be a number of things, how well their offense is flowing and how that sways the momentum of the game. Who he shares the majority of his minutes with.

How does DRPM specifically measure anything Curry does individually on defense?

I would be interested in seeing the formula, however I cannot find one.

Any stat based on "on-court impact on team defense" does not completely out rule the other 4 guys on the court. If Curry spends more time on the court with Draymond and Bogut than he does Speights and Barbosa he's going to have a higher DRPM. No?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 AM   #84
Rookie

cbpo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
The problem with the entire stat is that any one player does not allow or keep a player from scoring it takes all 5 guys.

It looks likes all its accounting for is that with Curry on the floor the Warriors are better defensively.. Which might not even be determined by his defensive impact alone. It could be a number of things, how well their offense is flowing and how that sways the momentum of the game. Who he shares the majority of his minutes with.

How does DRPM specifically measure anything Curry does individually on defense?

I would be interested in seeing the formula, however I cannot find one.

Any stat based on "on-court impact on team defense" does not completely out rule the other 4 guys on the court. If Curry spends more time on the court with Draymond and Bogut than he does Speights and Barbosa he's going to have a higher DRPM. No?

No, not at all. No stat is perfect but this is as close to it as we will get. I was a finance major/ used to be big into stats, there's controls you can set up for the variables aka in this instance his teammates, the opponents and their impact etc and they apparently even go beyond that incorporating coaches and crap. They're just using w/e player-tracking tools these statisticians use now-a-days but it would be highly complex analyzing literally every possession/every combination of players/ how those players/team perform for each possible lineup and situation throughout the course of the season, then will also have controls for how good the opposing offense is etc. It's complicated ****, but easy to do with the technology for player-tracking now. But the controls are set to eliminate the skewing from teammates, that's literally the only advantage of DRPM over traditional Defensive box/minus and was the reason it was created. Which is why I gave the tony parker example to show how it sifts out players who are still negatively impacting the team's defense despite them being on the court with elite defenders most of the time.

To give another example, houston was 6th in defensive efficiency last year with harden playing 38 min a game, but he still has a negative DRPM.

Last edited by cbpo; 09-23-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:10 AM   #85
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

I get that, but you can't measure every defensive possession and if the opponent scores or not without the other 4 players having an impact.

DRPM doesn't even have its own formula, it's simply RPM - ORPM.

Parker has a RPM of -3.15, and an ORPM of 0.18, that's why his DRPM is -3.33.

The entire formula is based heavily on opponent points and the scoring margin. You can't dismiss the other 4 defenders on the court because there is no possible way to eliminate them from the other teams scoring output.

This isn't simple statistics, you can't just eliminate 4 players impact against how many points an opposing team scored while they are on the court.

The Parker example still relies on team defense, his DRPM would probably be even lower without Duncan, Kawhi, etc. because overall it's still trying to measure one players impact based on the teams defense. Because the entire stat relies purely on point differential, not individual defensive capabilities.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2015, 04:12 AM   #86
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

This clearly stats that it does factor in your teammates.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #87
Rookie

The best shooters in NBA Live 16 are Kevin Love and (I guess) Shawn Marion :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCRw1hcmQoM

Last edited by NastyGT; 09-23-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #88
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyGT
The best shooters in NBA Live 16 are Kevin Love and (I guess) Shawn Marion :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCRw1hcmQoM

What?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »