Home

Would it be possible: 3 separate patches? (1st:glitches) (2nd:modes) (3rd:gameplay)

This is a discussion on Would it be possible: 3 separate patches? (1st:glitches) (2nd:modes) (3rd:gameplay) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Would it be possible: 3 separate patches? (1st:glitches) (2nd:modes) (3rd:gameplay)

Would it be possible to have three separate patches? (1st: bugs/glitches) (2nd: association, modes) (3rd: gameplay)

First patch (bugs/glitches)
Second patch (Association, MyGM, MyLeague, MyPark, etc.)
Third patch (gameplay)

My reasoning behind this is because gameplay is probably the most subjective matter. On ball defense, cherry pickers, shooting percentages, open jumpers, any other gameplay concerns. You can't forget about the gamers that bought the existing game and is extremely thrilled with the product as is, especially with the gameplay. Certain percentage of players are calling this THE BEST NBA2k game ever. Any changes through patchwork to existing gameplay and those who are thoroughly enjoying 2K16 as is will be technically playing a different game, however small or large the changes may be, it will be a different game when the patch drops.

Because gamers have no control over what part of a patch s/he wants implemented to her/his game, I believe separate patches would be the most appropriate way to go, leaving the "gameplay patch" to be relegated to the end. A patch that addresses all three of the above component will not jive with everyone. The topic of on-ball defense is so heavily debated, I simply feel it and the gameplay patch should be relegated until the end. Please don't force gameplay changes on everyone especially for those thoroughly enjoying the product as is.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Would it be possible: 3 separate patches? (1st:glitches) (2nd:modes) (3rd:gamepla

I think 2k said a patch wasn't required to change gameplay this year .
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
MVP

Re: Would it be possible: 3 separate patches? (1st:glitches) (2nd:modes) (3rd:gamepla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I think 2k said a patch wasn't required to change gameplay this year .

I'm basing it on this particular tweet/quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Interesting that nobody noticed Mike Wang's tweet.

" I'm making some adjustments for the gameplay patch. Should make poor defenders less OP and fix some bad hitching/sliding."
Old 10-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I'm basing it on this particular tweet/quote:
Got ya . It's probably the sliding that's causing bad defenders to be good though. As far as shot percentage etc.. That can be adjusted on the fly this year by 2k if I'm not mistaken
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Got ya . It's probably the sliding that's causing bad defenders to be good though. As far as shot percentage etc.. That can be adjusted on the fly this year by 2k if I'm not mistaken
Correct...Mike Wang can fine tune shooting percentages and penalties on the fly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1
Would it be possible: 3 separate patches? (1st:glitches) (2nd:modes) (3rd:gam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Would it be possible to have three separate patches? (1st: bugs/glitches) (2nd: association, modes) (3rd: gameplay)

First patch (bugs/glitches)
Second patch (Association, MyGM, MyLeague, MyPark, etc.)
Third patch (gameplay)

My reasoning behind this is because gameplay is probably the most subjective matter. On ball defense, cherry pickers, shooting percentages, open jumpers, any other gameplay concerns. You can't forget about the gamers that bought the existing game and is extremely thrilled with the product as is, especially with the gameplay. Certain percentage of players are calling this THE BEST NBA2k game ever. Any changes through patchwork to existing gameplay and those who are thoroughly enjoying 2K16 as is will be technically playing a different game, however small or large the changes may be, it will be a different game when the patch drops.

Because gamers have no control over what part of a patch s/he wants implemented to her/his game, I believe separate patches would be the most appropriate way to go, leaving the "gameplay patch" to be relegated to the end. A patch that addresses all three of the above component will not jive with everyone. The topic of on-ball defense is so heavily debated, I simply feel it and the gameplay patch should be relegated until the end. Please don't force gameplay changes on everyone especially for those thoroughly enjoying the product as is.

A gameplay patch at the end is how we got patch 4 last year. Major gameplay changes cannot be shelved until the end where they can't be fixed with subsequent patches if need be.

I don't think the issue of on-ball defense is actually heavily debated as to whether it can be improved or not-- but whether it should be for fear of breaking it. A patch that produces authentic on-ball and help defense could satisfy both those who desire changes that are sim minded, and those that like the overall difficulty level now if they were also as sim and authenticity minded.

Last edited by Sundown; 10-03-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
A gameplay patch at the end is how we got patch 4 last year. Major gameplay changes cannot be shelved until the end where they can't be fixed with subsequent patches if need be.

I don't think the issue of on-ball defense is actually heavily debated as to whether it can be improved or not-- but whether it should be for fear of breaking it. A patch that produces authentic on-ball and help defense could satisfy both those who desire changes that are sim minded, and those that like the overall difficulty level now if they were also as sim and authenticity minded.

So should 2k simply implement gameplay changes in the first patch along with bugs/glitches and modes? My take is bugs/glitches and whatever issues in modes should be weeded out first because gameplay is a subjective matter. Those who prefer the existing gameplay mechanics should be allowed to get the games bugs/glitches/mode cleaned up without having to worry about gameplay changes.

Saw your edit: Whatever gameplay fears there may be, what's the harm in leaving gameplay changes to a second patch. Fix bugs/glitches/modes in the first patch, then second patch focus on gameplay. It's the fear about gameplay changes going overboard. We need beta testing for patches. Plus, is there a way to unpatch a game?

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 10-03-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Pro

zrohman's Arena

OVR: 0

With every new patch, comes new glitches. . They should do at least 2 patches to deal with gamelay and any additions. Patching a few bugs in them. If any new bugs arise they should do a third patch to correct

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »