Home

Double Teams are essentially useless

This is a discussion on Double Teams are essentially useless within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Double Teams are essentially useless

I love trapping on defense, but (yet again) double teams are basically useless. For awhile, I thought I was pushing the wrong button or something. But no, they basically just stand there and the offensive player still does what he wants. On top of that, the helpside defenders do not rotate at all.

Is this a possible patch fix? I assume no because they've never really been all that effective for the last few years. Kind of sad imo. I don't think they can do anything about the helpside defenders (they need help in that area anyways, not just during double teams..) but surely they can do something to affect the offensive player being trapped right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Double Teams are essentially useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
I love trapping on defense, but (yet again) double teams are basically useless. For awhile, I thought I was pushing the wrong button or something. But no, they basically just stand there and the offensive player still does what he wants. On top of that, the helpside defenders do not rotate at all.

Is this a possible patch fix? I assume no because they've never really been all that effective for the last few years. Kind of sad imo. I don't think they can do anything about the helpside defenders (they need help in that area anyways, not just during double teams..) but surely they can do something to affect the offensive player being trapped right?
People thought double teams were OP last year so 2K toned down their effectiveness. The best places to do it or the corners (they dribble out of bounds a lot if they don't pass it). If you are doing one right at the top of the key, they'll easily dribble out of it or pass it.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Rookie

ray52ray27's Arena

Please don't complain about this or they will make it so the offensive player just throws it out of bounds or else it's a jump ball. When you manually double team hold L2 with your defender and after a couple seconds (not immediately) they will start to squirm. This is what I've seen in my time playing.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray52ray27
Please don't complain about this or they will make it so the offensive player just throws it out of bounds or else it's a jump ball. When you manually double team hold L2 with your defender and after a couple seconds (not immediately) they will start to squirm. This is what I've seen in my time playing.
Or they could make handling double teams actually based off of IQ. Make it easy to retreat dribble or to pass backwards (Realistic) but more difficult to pass through the double team.

You know.. like it used to be. Lol
Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 3

I think they are perfectly tuned as they are. You have to use them when you have a player cornered, not just spamming it anywhere you wish. If you saw the beginning to my last myteam online match, you wouldn't be saying they are underpowered.

The moment I crossed into his half, he would call a double team. I tried passing to another player of mine and the pass would get tossed into row Z. This happened 3 or 4 possessions in a row until I started anticipating it and he stopped abusing it. Double teaming magically causes your player's pass rating to become zero and you can't dribble out of it once the animation starts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 4

I have no issues with double teaming. On average and below I cause bad decisions. On superstars its 50/50.

Majority of ratings actually matter now.

Who are you trying to double team?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I've got some good double teams on me and vs others. You have to be quick to see them.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWuan
I have no issues with double teaming. On average and below I cause bad decisions. On superstars its 50/50.

Majority of ratings actually matter now.

Who are you trying to double team?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sometimes just on the fly. I tried doubling a post player on the block two or three straight possessions and he just went right through us. It's like a double team wasn't triggered into the game's mind.

Either way, even if the double teams are effective on the ball handler, the help does not rotate in. Obviously you can't cover everyone, you help from the inside out. But the AI literally just stands there on their original man.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »