Home

Will we ever get remotely accurate fouls?

This is a discussion on Will we ever get remotely accurate fouls? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
Will we ever get remotely accurate fouls?

How many versions of this game and they still can't get fouls right?

I know a lot of people ignore it, but it touches every aspect of the game.

Fouls for the bonus needs to be adjusted by time played, as well as foul out (I know you can set the latter for offline). If I'm playing 6 minute quarters, it shouldn't take 5 team fouls to get to the bonus, more like 3. Because of the lack of fouls, and the high bonus threshold, it combines to make even fewer free throws (fewer fouls means fewer FT, and fewer bonus FT as well!)

In addition, the lack of bonus means that in online play, players are free to spam 'steal' at will, because 1) they likely won't get called for a foul 2) even if they do, they'll never get enough to put you in the bonus and 3) with foul out frozen at 6 even for 6 minute quarters, they'll never foul out.

The lack of fouls also helps contribute to the turnover problem (there aren't enough of them, unless you count the super-steals that AI gets at high difficulty). Charges and other offensive fouls are turnovers! I have seen maybe 3 charges in over 50+ games this year, and illegal screens basically only happen if you deliberately drive the defender into an un-set screener. So again, it has multiple effects. Not enough fouls, not enough foul trouble, and not enough turnovers.

Also, where are the off the ball fouls? How often do you see players get called for holding or grabbing or whatever on defense in real life? This literally doesn't exist in 2K!

Finally, the only kind of foul the game does seem to call enough are shooting fouls. Especially on moves to the hoop. If anything it calls too many of these, to make up for ALL the other scenarios where it doesn't call them enough. The result is that the best strategy is to go to the hole on every play, because you'll get a bail out over and over. Especially irritating is when you take control of the big and get in position to clog the lane, and your guard who has been beaten bails the driver out with a phantom foul from behind, or your big goes off his feet for a pump fake from a 6' point guard instead of just holding his position.

How hard is it to tweak this? Just call a few charges when the attacker drives? Call more reach ins on stupid steal attempts. Have beaten defenders stop reaching when help is in position. Some of this is collision detection but a lot of it is just tweaking simple probabilities. It has so much more impact than just total free throws. It's skewing every part of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Will we ever get remotely accurate fouls?

You can adjust the number of fouls to bonus in MyLeague in the Gameplay Settings. As well as normalize both mins and STATS to Sim minutes played.

Haven't seen much about these on here. These options exist, the world must know.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam31yearsold
You can adjust the number of fouls to bonus in MyLeague in the Gameplay Settings. As well as normalize both mins and STATS to Sim minutes played.

Haven't seen much about these on here. These options exist, the world must know.

I'd seen fouls to foul out, but not foul to bonus, will take a look.

I'd like to see them applied automatically online. Some of this stuff we can sort of fix with sliders, but online we are at the mercy of the game, and seeing idiots spamming steal all the time with no consequence drives me nuts.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Oh man...you're right. I mistook the two.

I'm wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »