Home

September NPD Numbers Are In - 2K Sports Has 99.9927% of the Marketshare

This is a discussion on September NPD Numbers Are In - 2K Sports Has 99.9927% of the Marketshare within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #41
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: September NPD Numbers Are In - 2K Sports Has 99.9927% of the Marketshare

It was a good run EA. Live was the first basketball game I owned and it was great I'll never forget the memories of playing tournaments on my couch with all the neghborhood kids. take the development time and money being thrown at Live and give it to madden. You were bested in football so you cut out the competition time to make the NFL game we deserve.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #42
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOS1181
We also now see why EA will never let go of the NFL license. They would pay anything to keep 2K out.
So they'd rather spend more money keeping NFL games exclusive than actually investing resources into (what was) one of their most well known games.. Nice job EA.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
So they'd rather spend more money keeping NFL games exclusive than actually investing resources into (what was) one of their most well known games.. Nice job EA.
It's more profitable at this point, IMO. The costs of getting even remotely close to NBA 2Ks gameplay and features would be greater, by far, than eventual pay-off from sales. EA makes so much money on microtransactions from it's not even remotely funny. And having a monopoly on the market for NFL game increases their sales and microtransactions income exponentionally because it's the only solution for NFL gamers.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #44
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
Forget about 2k altogether and the really shocking number is that NBA live has only sold 8300 copies.

You'd think they'd have sold more than that by accident to unknowledgable parents or dumb wives/girlfriends buying a basketball game as a gift.

To me there are two specific things that have occured that pretty much sent live to the canvas...

1) That colossal failure that was NBA Elite. That just so happened to be the same development cycle that 2k dropped what some believe is the best of the series in 2k11. Who could ever forget Bynum standing midcourt in the crucifix position?

2) EA made the grave mistake of taking customization away from the gamer. How in the world could you ever think that it was a good idea to not allow gamers the freedom to edit? Even if the game is subparagraph out of the box, allowing the gamer editing freedom gives the game redeeming quality. With Live on current gen Live took it away. That was pretty much a death blow.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #45
Rookie

I really miss College Hoops 2K. I remember one year they had fantasy courts, like you could play on the Moon and stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #46
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyezombie
I really miss College Hoops 2K. I remember one year they had fantasy courts, like you could play on the Moon and stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Same here. A lot of people say College Hoops 2k8 was the best. IMO 2k4 was not too far behind. That was the first college game that would allow you to see/play as the recruit in his high school games. So you would have a 6'10 recruit playing a high school game where the next tallest player was like 6'4. It was also the first college game to have the e-mailing system. A recruit would email you and ask to be recruited or come in for an unofficial visit. You could also email a recruit and he would email you back and tell you he wasn't interested. It didn't have the coaching carousel, but what the dynasty mode did have...it was the best ever IMO.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #47
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
To me there are two specific things that have occured that pretty much sent live to the canvas...

1) That colossal failure that was NBA Elite. That just so happened to be the same development cycle that 2k dropped what some believe is the best of the series in 2k11. Who could ever forget Bynum standing midcourt in the crucifix position?

2) EA made the grave mistake of taking customization away from the gamer. How in the world could you ever think that it was a good idea to not allow gamers the freedom to edit? Even if the game is subparagraph out of the box, allowing the gamer editing freedom gives the game redeeming quality. With Live on current gen Live took it away. That was pretty much a death blow.

For those of you who haven't seen it. Starts at 3:00.

Last edited by Jhawkfootball06; 10-21-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #48
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom

3) And not releasing Live 12 and 13. They still had a window of opportunity. Personally, I thought 2K12 and 2K13 were the worse in the series.

NBA 2K11 was definitely the beginning of the end though...Plus, you had Jordan on the cover too. Who knows how many sales were generated by that alone.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »