Home

Do below avg guards dominate FGA over star big men FGA?

This is a discussion on Do below avg guards dominate FGA over star big men FGA? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Do below avg guards dominate FGA over star big men FGA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
I just played 2 ML games. One against the Hornets where Big Al went 11/17 on me. It was awesome as I had to start doubling and then controlling rotators. Next game Okafor went 11/21. About 5 of these came off ORebs, 4 more off cuts the rest were post moves and little jumpers.

Big men have never dominated like this in 2K. It can just be inconsistent. Massive improvements though.
Were these games with 2k Stock Rosters or did you make some tweaks?

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #26
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I had Cousins go 13\21 on me with stock rosters....
Old 12-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've noticed in Sim stats its wildly inconsistent....one game they'll go for maybe 20+ attempts. Then the next it'll be 5. not sure if that's just me, but I see that around the board, especially for prolific post players.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #28
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
Were these games with 2k Stock Rosters or did you make some tweaks?
This is my edited roster.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #29
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Just Cousins go 13/25 on me for 33 points. Only about 3 of those attempts came from O Rebs. Nice.
If your not seeing this with the latest ACE update you should be. Here is the problem. Oh and just FYI the play-types that shipped are STRAIGHT from nba.com play-types based on last year.

So if you don't like em I don't know what to tell you.

With the gameplay being more dynamic and logic branches etc the AI can branch out of the longer plays when it see's an opportunity. So if a post player has a longer drawn out play and most do because we are running their actual systems there are several opportunities for the AI to branch out.

Especially if defenders are out of position.

In addition this year the AI can actually run freelance. So that is more opportunistic rather than just run these specific plays to score. Also the system is considerate of streaking players. And as you know some guys start a game hot. It may not be the top scorer and that effects play calls as well.

Also if the AI is in Shoot at will and some teams are because they play at such a high tempo. They are going from move the ball, to score very early in the shot clock. That doesn't leave a lot of time to pound the ball into the post.

Our game is very dynamic so even with the perfect settings you are still going to see variation. So the game is not scripted which I'm sure you don't want except for the times you want cousins to shoot 30 times a game BUT you also want the AI to be smart and dynamic.

The problem as I stated here before release is when you make the AI dynamic you loose some control as it reacts to what opportunities are available.

The more transition opportunities the less chance for directed offense. The more the AI runs plays vs freelance the more directed the offense but also the more predictable the AI becomes as users lock onto different plays.

As I told you last year the playtypes influence how players play in freelance and act as freelance tendencies. If you remove Iso from the players we have it assigned to that will mean that a player who doesn't run iso plays will not being able to call a self iso in freelance. If it is his 3rd or 4th playtype he will rarely every use that anyway so giving those players iso has minimal effect on actual play-calling and allows that AI player to run iso's in freelance.

I told you the post scorers would get more touches this year and they do. I didn't say it would be perfect. This year it took a considerable step and that set's the stage for next year.

* Also reducing a players play types or plays has virtually no effect on how the offense is distributed for the AI.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 12-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #30
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
The problem as I stated here before release is when you make the AI dynamic you loose some control as it reacts to what opportunities are available.
Yep and I dont think any sim heads want it scripted where Griffin gets 18 shots, Redick 12, Paul 14 etc.

I hear that we want dynamism and stars to get touches and that is a fine balancing act. I still enjoy the game as much as I did when it cae out, largely because it feels really dynamic.

Quote:
I told you the post scorers would get more touches this year and they do. I didn't say it would be perfect. This year it took a considerable step and that set's the stage for next year.
I've wanted to keep saying that this is the best its ever been. 2K16 is the first year Ive felt CPU bigs could dominate me from the post. It's just that in about 20% of games, these star bigs seem to be ignored for no apparent reason. Nobody else is hot, they are playing slow.

And I remember you saying that the CPU doesnt exploit mismatches down low, but Ive seen them do it on multiple occasions.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
If your not seeing this with the latest ACE update you should be. Here is the problem. Oh and just FYI the play-types that shipped are STRAIGHT from nba.com play-types based on last year.

So if you don't like em I don't know what to tell you.

With the gameplay being more dynamic and logic branches etc the AI can branch out of the longer plays when it see's an opportunity. So if a post player has a longer drawn out play and most do because we are running their actual systems there are several opportunities for the AI to branch out.

Especially if defenders are out of position.

In addition this year the AI can actually run freelance. So that is more opportunistic rather than just run these specific plays to score. Also the system is considerate of streaking players. And as you know some guys start a game hot. It may not be the top scorer and that effects play calls as well.

Also if the AI is in Shoot at will and some teams are because they play at such a high tempo. They are going from move the ball, to score very early in the shot clock. That doesn't leave a lot of time to pound the ball into the post.

Our game is very dynamic so even with the perfect settings you are still going to see variation. So the game is not scripted which I'm sure you don't want except for the times you want cousins to shoot 30 times a game BUT you also want the AI to be smart and dynamic.

The more transition opportunities the less chance for directed offense. The more the AI runs plays vs freelance the more directed the offense but also the more predictable the AI becomes as users lock onto different plays.

As I told you last year the playtypes influence how players play in freelance and act as freelance tendencies. If you remove Iso from the players we have it assigned to that will mean that a player who doesn't run iso plays will not being able to call a self iso in freelance. If it is his 3rd or 4th playtype he will rarely every use that anyway so giving those players iso has minimal effect on actual play-calling and allows that AI player to run iso's in freelance.

* Also reducing a players play types or plays has virtually no effect on how the offense is distributed for the AI.
Thanks for weighing in. I agree 100% that that CPU AI is 1000% better in 2k16.

From your responses above i have to say 2 things I have to disagree with are:

#1 ISOs are not the Only Play Types that I have found that can put a Player in a 1 on 1 Scenario. So you can remove all ISO plays from the playbook and still gets plays ran where players can be put in ISO situations.

#2 I have to disagree on your (*) as I made the comment . I see it on a Daily basis how changing play types or the number of plays for a player effects things and other Roster makers will agree. I guess it varies on the Roster each User Plays with.

I love the way the CPU AI reacts as the game progresses. I guess I just go a different way to get the desired results I am looking for. Looking forward to big things in #NBA2k17(Hopefully D-League)

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #32
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Just played ML against the Pelicans then. Davis went 12/19 on an assortment of jumpers, jump hooks a couple of drives, turnarounds. It was very authentic (...except for no oops. Maybe next year ).

Then the game quickened up the 2nd half and their guards started to get downhill. This all felt very organic.

Scores were tied and they had the ball on the last possession. They went to Davis, I was forced to double kicked out to Pondexter who nails the 3 with 2 secs left. Ill post the video when xbox live is working again.

Moments like that make me realise how huge it is that bigs now have huge impacts on the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »