Home

Hyperbole in ratings...

This is a discussion on Hyperbole in ratings... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Hyperbole in ratings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi
Ratings are too high, they don't use the lower end of the scale enough..... Diminishes the superstar impact.

I've seen teams win championships with just by being deep and having a bunch of low 80's which are too abundant.

Thats my thoughts exactly, but as I said in a earlier thread I do wonder if because of the egos these players have now days dont play a role in the inflation of overalls as a whole. The whole rating scale really needs to be used, not saying we need guys rated in the 20's or 30's overall necessarily, but there definitely not a wide enough gap between elite/good/ average/benchwarmers in the league.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #26
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Can you guys give an example of tendencies being way off? I did my own roster edit and didnt find a whole lot that was wrong.
I don't mean to come off as sarcastic or anything man, but I'm not sure you looked very closely.

Any big man who started shooting more 3's this year such as Humphries or Cousins has a 1 or 2 for 3 point shot

Almost all drive tendencies for perimeter players are too high. Actually using NBA.com's player tracking to scale these would be helpful for making players such as Steph Curry play like Steph Curry. He should be at about 40.

Shot under basket is too low across the board which leads to low points in paint stats in the sim engine

Steal tendencies and block tendencies havent been touched in about a year. (Jerami Grant has a 38 block shot tendency and Whiteside has a 64!)

Pass to open man tendencies are not updated to match updates to passing ratings (this is true for every tendency that goes hand in hand with a rating)

Putback tendencies are too low across the board, raising them will produce more tip in layup and dunk animations.

Random players have very high dribble or post tendencies. Metta World Peace for example is apparently Hakeem Olajuwon.

Shot tendencies havent been touched at all. Ever wonder why CJ McCollum doesnt score like he should and Lillard averages 30 in MyLeague? Check CJ's tendencies.

These are just a handful of examples as you can literally go through each tendency and find a multitude of inconsistencies, inaccuracies and potential fixes to gameplay or sim engine issues. It would take me about 24-30 hours to fix the entire league which I plan to do once all jerseys are released and team colors are fixed as each jersey is worn.
However I'm holding out small hope that there will be a mid season league wide tendency update since Beds has confirmed there will be a badge update around that time. Although it could be wishful thinking, badges are alot more popular than tendencies :/

PSN: MiiikeMarsh

Last edited by Mikelopedia; 12-20-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #27
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0

Derozan really isn't that good outside 15-16 feet. His mid range rating is good. You used to be able to rain jumpers with him which is unrealistic. Dirk should have a higher mid range though
Old 12-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #28
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
I don't mean to come off as sarcastic or anything man, but I'm not sure you looked very closely.
No offense taken.

The ones you mentioned I was aware of. Were you using an old roster? Because Im sure a lot of the shot tendencies were fixed up.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger Jack
They said that ratings were going to be on an "all-time" scale this year? So you give Kristaps Porzingis a 92 mid-range while Dirk has an 89?

I mean at some point you need to start rating the guys like they actually play instead of bumping random ratings just to boost a guys OVR rating....no chance in hell Porzingis is better mid range jump shooter than Dirk,
Mid-Range
Porzingis (92/91): 27-51 (53%) - Ast'd 74%
Dirk (89/86): 45-102 (44%) - Ast'd 82%

That is the lowest shooting percentage Dirk has had in over 10 years.
It is likewise clear he isn't doing a ton off the dribble.

Close-Range
Dirk (95/94): 58-112 (52%) - Ast'd 33%
Porzingis (80/80): 40-113 (35%) - Ast'd 53%

One of these is not the same as the other.

Quote:
You got Okafor who has been dominating as of late
Okafor
15.9 PER
49.8 TS% on 27.9 USG% (Only player w/ worse ratio is Kobe)
7.8 ORB% (Average shot distance: 6.0 feet, which makes this a poor rate)
19.4 DRB% (Poor for a center)
8.0 AST%
0.4 STL% (Awful)
3.2 BLK%

"Dominating". You do understand what the word "hyperbole" means, right?

Quote:
he bodied Towns in their head to head matchup and he bodied Porzingis last night yet He actually went DOWN a few points while Porzingis is an 81 OVR...?

Towns
22.2 PER
58.8 TS% on 24.0 USG%
10.0 ORB% (Average Shot Distance: 9.5 Feet)
26.2 DRB%
6.2 AST%
1.2 STL%
6.0 BLK%

Porzingis
18.1 PER
51.9 TS% on 23.6 USG%
8.8 ORB% (Average Shot Distance: 12.5 feet)
22.9 DRB%
6.8 AST%
1.4 STL%
5.5 BLK%

Swap out either player with Okafor and the Sixers would have a better record than 1-27.

Quote:
Derrick Rose I mean we all know his shooting isn't his forte, but he has a 66 moving mid-range? He can hit that pull up jumper and he does it quite frequently...in terms of MOVING mid-range he should have probably a 76-79...

Rose (65/66): 16-55 (29%) - Ast'd 19%
DeRozan (68/70): 37-112 (33%) - Ast'd 30%
Rondo (72/72): 26-75 (35%) - Ast'd 27%

Dominating
Frequently
Bread and butter

Hyperbolic statements in a topic meant to criticize such practices

Quote:
Same for Demar Derozan...Yes the dude has taken the second most FT's in the league behind Harden, we know he can get to the rim with ease, but his mid-range game is his bread and butter yet for some reason he has a SIXTY EIGHT in both categories...what?

Does this look like someone with a 68 OVR mid-range?
*Proceeds to post a video where the player takes one shot from mid-range.*
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 12-20-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #30
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
No offense taken.

The ones you mentioned I was aware of. Were you using an old roster? Because Im sure a lot of the shot tendencies were fixed up.
Yes I use the official roster everyday, but unfortunately no, tendencies have not been updated this year. The only updates have been like I said, changing players like Cousins and Humphries 3 point tendency from 0 to 1 or 2

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Old 12-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #31
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia

Any big man who started shooting more 3's this year such as Humphries or Cousins has a 1 or 2 for 3 point shot

Almost all drive tendencies for perimeter players are too high. Actually using NBA.com's player tracking to scale these would be helpful for making players such as Steph Curry play like Steph Curry. He should be at about 40.

Shot under basket is too low across the board which leads to low points in paint stats in the sim engine

Steal tendencies and block tendencies havent been touched in about a year. (Jerami Grant has a 38 block shot tendency and Whiteside has a 64!)

Pass to open man tendencies are not updated to match updates to passing ratings (this is true for every tendency that goes hand in hand with a rating)

Putback tendencies are too low across the board, raising them will produce more tip in layup and dunk animations.

Random players have very high dribble or post tendencies. Metta World Peace for example is apparently Hakeem Olajuwon.

Shot tendencies havent been touched at all. Ever wonder why CJ McCollum doesnt score like he should and Lillard averages 30 in MyLeague? Check CJ's tendencies.

These are just a handful of examples as you can literally go through each tendency and find a multitude of inconsistencies, inaccuracies and potential fixes to gameplay or sim engine issues. It would take me about 24-30 hours to fix the entire league which I plan to do once all jerseys are released and team colors are fixed as each jersey is worn.
However I'm holding out small hope that there will be a mid season league wide tendency update since Beds has confirmed there will be a badge update around that time. Although it could be wishful thinking, badges are alot more popular than tendencies :/
Agreed with everything you've said here. I'd also like to add that it's not just Under Basket Tendency but also the Layup and Dunk tendencies that need to be raised to see good PITP stats.

Basically all tendencies in general have league wide issues. Touches was the only one I've seen so far done correctly at launch based on last year's stats, and then they haven't been updated properly since. You might want to take a peek at what I've done over in my Sportscrunch Ratings thread in the Rosters subforum, I think you'll get a kick out of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
Mid-Range
Porzingis (92/91): 27-51 (53%) - Ast'd 74%
Dirk (89/86): 45-102 (44%) - Ast'd 82%

That is the lowest shooting percentage Dirk has had in over 10 years.
It is likewise clear he isn't doing a ton off the dribble.

Close-Range
Dirk (95/94): 58-112 (52%) - Ast'd 33%
Porzingis (80/80): 40-113 (35%) - Ast'd 53%

One of these is not the same as the other.

Okafor
15.9 PER
49.8 TS% on 27.9 USG% (Only player w/ worse ratio is Kobe)
7.8 ORB% (Average shot distance: 6.0 feet, which makes this a poor rate)
19.4 DRB% (Poor for a center)
8.0 AST%
0.4 STL% (Awful)
3.2 BLK%

"Dominating". You do understand what the word "hyperbole" means, right?

Towns
22.2 PER
58.8 TS% on 24.0 USG%
10.0 ORB% (Average Shot Distance: 9.5 Feet)
26.2 DRB%
6.2 AST%
1.2 STL%
6.0 BLK%

Porzingis
18.1 PER
51.9 TS% on 23.6 USG%
8.8 ORB% (Average Shot Distance: 12.5 feet)
22.9 DRB%
6.8 AST%
1.4 STL%
5.5 BLK%

Swap out either player with Okafor and the Sixers would have a better record than 1-27.

Rose (65/66): 16-55 (29%) - Ast'd 19%
DeRozan (68/70): 37-112 (33%) - Ast'd 30%
Rondo (72/72): 26-75 (35%) - Ast'd 27%

Dominating
Frequently
Bread and butter

Hyperbolic statements in a topic meant to criticize such practices

*Proceeds to post a video where the player takes one shot from mid-range.*
Man, I was in the cut waiting for you to chime in. The truth like sojourner strikes again

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »