Home

Badges (Thesis)

This is a discussion on Badges (Thesis) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Badges (Thesis)

Badges/Sig skills were fine, it's the fact that they took away the 7 badge/sig skill equip limit is what unbalances the game.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Rookie

Perkele's Arena

Ever since we had the option to edit Signature Skills back in 2K14 (last gen), I have always edited them. I like some of the badges because they add individualism that cannot be accurately respresented by ratings only, but I always removed sig. skills/badges that give simple rating boosts (ex. Pick & Roll Maestro). Why would some player be a better passer or shooter just because he dribbled past a screen previously? Badges like Deadeye, Limitless Range, Microwave are great IMO (when applied correctly).
Old 12-21-2015, 03:51 AM   #11
Rookie

theman824's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkele
Ever since we had the option to edit Signature Skills back in 2K14 (last gen), I have always edited them. I like some of the badges because they add individualism that cannot be accurately respresented by ratings only, but I always removed sig. skills/badges that give simple rating boosts (ex. Pick & Roll Maestro). Why would some player be a better passer or shooter just because he dribbled past a screen previously? Badges like Deadeye, Limitless Range, Microwave are great IMO (when applied correctly).

I see your point with the passing coming around a screen in a way, but i don't entirely agree.

The rating system and the badges for me are in place to try and most accurately reflect a player's skills. If that player is very good in P&R situations (and usually racks up a lot of assists that way in real life) and wouldn't be as dominant in another offensive system involving little P&R action, we all want to see this player do not as good and not get as many assists in the game in this other system, because it would be the case in real life. The system has to fit the skills of the players. So from that point of view i really like the idea of badges in general if it helps reflect the skill set better than ratings alone.

Of course we can talk about if another rating system without badges could do the same or if the badges thing is overdone with some players, but personally i like the idea in general. You are right, it's the same player, the passing skill is what it is for that player, but if that player excells in P&R situations it should be reflected in the game somehow. Maybe there could be a seperate rating like "Passing in P&R/P&P situations" that would do the same as long as it's in the game somehow.

I agree with what has been said about maybe the badge-system not beeing woven into all aspects of the game. For ex. it is possible that the CPU would value a OVR 70 rated player with 3 badges the same as an OVR 70 rated player with 20 badges in a trade scenario. I don't know if this is the case but it wouldn't surprise me. If so this would have to be cleaned up of course.

But again, this doesn't take away from the general idea of having badges on top of the rating system.

Last edited by theman824; 12-21-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2015, 04:10 AM   #12
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman824
I see your point with the passing coming around a screen in a way, but i don't entirely agree.

The rating system and the badges for me are in place to try and most accurately reflect a player's skills. If that player is very good in P&R situations (and usually racks up a lot of assists that way in real life) and wouldn't be as dominant in another offensive system involving little P&R action, we all want to see this player do not as good and not get as many assists in the game, because it would be the case in real life. The system has to fit the skills of the players. So from that point of view i really like the idea of badges in general if it helps reflect the skill set better than ratings alone.

Of course we can talk about if another rating system without badges could do the same or if the badges thing is overdone with some players, but personally i like the idea in general.

I agree with what has been said about maybe the badge-system not beeing woven into all aspects of the game. For ex. it is possible that the CPU would value a OVR 70 rated player with 3 badges the same as an OVR 70 rated player with 20 badges in a trade scenario. I don't know if this is the case but it wouldn't surprise me. If so this would have to be cleaned up of course.

But again, this doesn't take away from the general idea of having badges on top of the rating system.
It is the case, I found a 70 overall free agent or maybe even in the 60's with like 50 badges and a crazy 3pt shot (I think it was some make-a-wish thing 2k did) and tried moving him after signing him to a minimum contract and he had basically 0 value. So I just hung on to him for the season and used him as a role player.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 AM   #13
Rookie

theman824's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterperpetual
It is the case, I found a 70 overall free agent or maybe even in the 60's with like 50 badges and a crazy 3pt shot (I think it was some make-a-wish thing 2k did) and tried moving him after signing him to a minimum contract and he had basically 0 value. So I just hung on to him for the season and used him as a role player.
I suspected as much and this is not good of course. If we have badges in place, it has to be incorporated in it's entirety. But this applies to everything in a game, so for me this is not an argument for or against the badge-system in itself.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
Rookie

Perkele's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman824

The rating system and the badges for me are in place to try and most accurately reflect a player's skills. If that player is very good in P&R situations (and usually racks up a lot of assists that way in real life) and wouldn't be as dominant in another offensive system involving little P&R action, we all want to see this player do not as good and not get as many assists in the game in this other system, because it would be the case in real life. The system has to fit the skills of the players. So from that point of view i really like the idea of badges in general if it helps reflect the skill set better than ratings alone.

Of course we can talk about if another rating system without badges could do the same or if the badges thing is overdone with some players, but personally i like the idea in general. You are right, it's the same player, the passing skill is what it is for that player, but if that player excells in P&R situations it should be reflected in the game somehow. Maybe there could be a seperate rating like "Passing in P&R/P&P situations" that would do the same as long as it's in the game somehow.

Maybe you're right about players shooting/passing better when coming off a pick, but I think for every badge that boosts a rating, a little reduction should be made in that rating. For example, if a player has a 85 MVMED rating and GOLD P&R Maestro (which boosts passing and shooting by 5 when coming off picks, not 100% sure about this), means that he will shoot like a 90 MVMED rated player in the P&R, which then in combination with other badges inflates FG%. That's why if I would give a badge like that, I would make sure I remove a few points from the ratings that the badge increases so players would shoot a realistic % from the floor.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #15
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

As I've mentioned before why should someone get a boost for being good at something?

Doesn't that make the game unbalanced? I could see if they were on fire or heating up, but I really feel like some of these badges are just OD. (Most of them)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #16
Rookie

I think stamina drain lowers ratings a lot and badges help some.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »