Home

Defensive Settings Enhancements for 2K17

This is a discussion on Defensive Settings Enhancements for 2K17 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Defensive Settings Enhancements for 2K17

What's up OS,

I am a huge fan of the defensive settings and all of the SIM aspects it presents. Yes, it does take a few minutes to properly plan for each team but in my opinion, well worth it.

I think there are a few settings that can be added that will add realism and reduce frustration in 2K17. Here are my ideas:

Foul intensity (Hard, Soft, Conservative):

Example, if DeAndre Jordan/Clint Capela is attacking the basket, I want to foul him as hard as possible and force him to the line. James Harden obviously is a different story and I want to be as conservative as possible but there should be some easy makes if I play conservative, especially on fast breaks.

Rim Protection(Straight up, strip, draw charge, go for the block or prevent basket):

One big I may want to defend straight up aka Mozgov but if I have Iman Shumpert I want him to go for the strip. If I have a bench big aka Kendrick Perkins maybe I want him to defend aggressively with no care about his fouls and prevent all baskets oppose to defending straight up since that's not his specialty. Kyle Lowry I want him to attempt to take a charge. Serge Ibaka is the player I want to go for the block.

Rebounding settings (Crash all hard, crash defensive board inside three point line, get back all times, run in transition, ect.):

Andre Drummond I want on the Offensive boards and defensive boards at all times. Isaih Cannon/Ish Smith needs to get back at all times. I don't care if I set my POE to crash offensive rebounds, I don't need Nate Robinson crashing the boards. For defensive rebounding settings I'd like Klay Thompson to leak out for a transition three while I bring the ball up court with Steph Curry. Rondo/Westbrook I may want to crash defensive and/or offensive boards when inside three point line

I had more last night before bed but I think those three would add a lot to the game and prevent some of those head scratching moments that make you want to break the controller. Let me know what you guys think.

PS: I still think tip-outs and tip-ins for rebounding need to be added badly via a tap of the rebounding button. Hold should initiate a grab but that's for another subject!

Last edited by Nevertheles109; 01-18-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Defensive Settings Enhancements for 2K17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
What's up OS,

I am a huge fan of the defensive settings and all of the SIM aspects it presents. Yes, it does take a few minutes to properly plan for each team but in my opinion, well worth it.

I think there are a few settings that can be added that will add realism and reduce frustration in 2K17. Here are my ideas:

Foul intensity (Hard, Soft, Conservative):

Example, if DeAndre Jordan/Clint Capela is attacking the basket, I want to foul him as hard as possible and force him to the line. James Harden obviously is a different story and I want to be as conservative as possible but there should be some easy makes if I play conservative, especially on fast breaks.

Rim Protection(Straight up, strip, draw charge, go for the block or prevent basket):

One big I may want to defend straight up aka Mozgov but if I have Iman Shumpert I want him to go for the strip. If I have a bench big aka Kendrick Perkins maybe I want him to defend aggressively with no care about his fouls and prevent all baskets oppose to defending straight up since that's not his specialty. Kyle Lowry I want him to attempt to take a charge. Serge Ibaka is the player I want to go for the block.

Rebounding settings (Crash all hard, crash defensive board inside three point line, get back all times, run in transition, ect.):

Andre Drummond I want on the Offensive boards and defensive boards at all times. Isaih Cannon/Ish Smith needs to get back at all times. I don't care if I set my POE to crash offensive rebounds, I don't need Nate Robinson crashing the boards. For defensive rebounding settings I'd like Klay Thompson to leak out for a transition three while I bring the ball up court with Steph Curry. Rondo/Westbrook I may want to crash defensive and/or offensive boards when inside three point line

I had more last night before bed but I think those three would add a lot to the game and prevent some of those head scratching moments that make you want to break the controller. Let me know what you guys think.

PS: I still think tip-outs and tip-ins for rebounding need to be added badly via a tap of the rebounding button. Hold should initiate a grab but that's for another subject!
Just wanted to say great ideas. Love all of them, especially the rebounding suggestion and would definitely prefer more control of it.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

In theory, the defensive settings are a great addition to the game when used properly. However, it's my opinion that the defensive settings are one of the most abused features of NBA2K in online play and a big contributor to why people hate playing other people in the online modes.

Because of that, I'm not a fan of the defensive settings and I'm probably one of the few people who advocate learning how to play the game never touching these settings because of their abuse.

It's a tough sell though because of the way people play offense online and the lower difficulty online doesn't make it any easier to play defense without help. Using the defensive settings will certainly help the cpu assist your team on defense. Not only that, there's some logic and psychology to setting up a defense to do what you want that makes the game more strategic and more fun especially when playing the CPU.

However, the win at all cost approach versus users using whatever tools you can find in the trick bag is a common motivator when people suit up. But it's just not realistic for teams to hug guys on the perimeter and be able to have five guys in the paint form a wall of defenders in front of the ball at all times as you'll often see playing users.

My suggestions to improve the settings game, would be first to eliminate any zones and traps in the game and only have one defense and that's man to man or alternatively to shut off the settings when zones and trapping defenses are selected. Second, I'd like to see the actual players tendencies matter the most when it comes to how they play defense more than the settings. If a guy has a poor defensive IQ, he shouldn't be able to improve it "by setting". Also, I'd like to see the settings only be effective when playing proper positional defense. Meaning that a guy shouldn't miss a shot, just because a tight setting was employed when the user didn't play the defense and wasn't even near the guy contesting the shot.

The effect settings and POE's have on the offense is evident when you play and you can often tell that certain settings are in place because of what your offensive player will and won't do when moving on the floor. For example, if the paint is locked down, often your guys will not make a cut to the paint in a play designed to go there when the paint is wide open. A guy will make a back door cut if he's being denied but not if he's played tight in the same circumstance and instead just stands there, etc. And by the nature of the setting employed overpowers what an offensive player might logically do just because he's affected by the setting he won't do it.

In addition, while I'm not sure I'm a 100 percent in favor of it because I only play on ball about 90 percent of the time adjusting guys as needed, I guess the last thing I'd like to see considered is a mandatory on ball setting forcing guys to d up manually.

Here's a video where I discuss my philosophy on the settings if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHa7bV3Nrvs

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 01-18-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
Pro

Defensive settings should be enhanced ofcourse but with different kind of imapct, as you posted.

As for online games, i blame only 2K not players because 2K dumb down gameplay to cater everyone and by everyone i mean every single rant and complain.

What 2K should do with online gameplay is make it hardcore sim, most of points should be hardly earned not given like it's been case for years now. Hardcore simulation would immediately uncover inexperienced or bad players as they should be blown out in 1st quarter..no matter what team they use. In quick example that should be something like this..

Player A (who set plays, plays smart defense) who plays with Boston should easily dominate player B (who just runs around clueless, try to dunk on every position, turbo on every posession etc..never call plays) who happens to play with team like OKC.

If 2K manages to employ hardcore simulation into online matches, player A would easily dominate player B in 1st quarter because with playstyle of player B he should get lots of charging fouls because endless sprints (trying to get to basket by any means), player B players should also tire much quicker but since he prefers to play with starting 5 his players would be more and more ineffective due to exhaustion on every possesion. On other hand player A would be much more effective due to bench usage so in the end player A bench would score around 30-40 points whereas player B bench would score maximum 15 - 20 points because player B would play Durant & Westbrook both 40 minutes.

That kind of sim would easily highlight player B basketball knowledge or better say lack of same, currently is very hard to confront noob players because style of their game is completely justified by 2K, in current state player B wins most of times because his rushing into paint will result in blocking fouls, and 1's, dunks..(IRL Westbrook more or less do that but not on every single posession) so in the end player B is rewarded with easy win and player A is not rewarded for his tactical approach.

Real problems are in many areas like dumb foul calls, transition defense being very much biggest liablity and also overall defensive AI is subpar comparing to offensive AI. I stopped playing random people online because i never know what kind of 'basketball genius' waits on other side, people constantly pick same teams over and over again so when I pick Brooklyn I feel dumb just because I know no matter how much work & focus put on single game, i already know turbo Thunder will win purely on athletic aspect of game..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

Im all for more defensive settings, but i don't want settings to infringe on tendencies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I personally want to see the help defense soldier make a return
Old 01-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton

As for online games, i blame only 2K not players because 2K dumb down gameplay to cater everyone and by everyone i mean every single rant and complain.
This isn't helpful, you don't need to assign blame to critique an aspect of the game
Old 01-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
This isn't helpful, you don't need to assign blame to critique an aspect of the game
my bad, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »