Home

Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists

This is a discussion on Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #25
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Makers of NBA2K sued for using players' tattoos without permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I expect the courts to knock this nonsense off eventually. The can of worms that they'd be opening letting people put copyright claims on tattoos would be insane. Like Two Four mentioned what's next, you gonna let dudes start putting in claims for hair cuts? The NBA going to have to blur out every tattoo on every player in league history to show old games on tv, release their championship DVDs for the Finals winning teams? It's a bad precedent to set allowing tattoo artist to start suing for copyrights knowing damn well that their inking guys who's jobs are to be filmed/visible in the public eye. They're getting free exposure to millions by the guys wearing their ink in the first place and are getting greedy now. Reading the story that thing said this company "acquired" the rights to the tattoos last year. They're suing over a tattoo that Kobe has had on his body and in 2K games for about a decade now. That ain't right.
Pretty sure there's a difference between being broadcast on TV and selling an actual product based around the re-creation of said authentic player.

EA got sued over this and took it on the chin, I'm more surprised it took this long than anything as it never made sense why one company was then super careful about this for a football game yet nobody else was trying to avoid the issue.

That being said, Live has lots of tatts now too though doesn't it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #26
Rookie

headzapp's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists

Imagine having a tattoo and not actually owning it. There should be a law made that when you get work done on your body, you then own it and the rights.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #27
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Re: Makers of NBA2K sued for using players' tattoos without permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Really? So tell me who did the ink on Andre Iguodala? This should be easy to answer as these guys are getting all this exposure.
It's free exposure and advertising. It's on the individuals who sees it to decide to go "Hmmmm...that's a sweet tattoo. I wonder who did that? Let me find out". Tattoos are basically walking ads on human bodies.

However, how do we know they're NOT getting increased celebrity traffic as a result of NBA/NFL/etc players wearing their tattoos?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #28
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadzier
All I'm hoping is this somehow gets resolved without having to straight-up remove the tattoos.

Seeing Colin Kaepernick with bare arms in madden was the most jarring thing ever.
That actually happened??? Wow...that's crazy. I didn't know. That would trip me out if I fired up NBA 2K17, and they removed all the tattoos from Paul George. It would be worse for NBA games, because so much of their body is exposed due to their uniforms.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #29
Rookie

Old School Fool's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
That actually happened??? Wow...that's crazy. I didn't know. That would trip me out if I fired up NBA 2K17, and they removed all the tattoos from Paul George. It would be worse for NBA games, because so much of their body is exposed due to their uniforms.
Only like 3 players in Madden have tattoos. It's a joke.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #30
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7
Greedy tattoo artists. Once you put it on someone's body, it's their decision to do with it. You don't own that work, the person who paid for it does. If lebron doesn't care, then you don't deserve anything. You got paid for them once.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 8
Ridiculous. You'd think tattoo artists would be happy for the exposure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #32
Rookie

Dawg Pound's Arena

Thats a lame money grab.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »