Home

User Bonuses: Yay or Nay?

This is a discussion on User Bonuses: Yay or Nay? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are user bonuses ok in sports games?
Sure, user bonuses are fine. 7 35.00%
Nope, users bonuses hurt simulation gameplay. 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2016, 12:19 AM   #17
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: User Bonuses: Yay or Nay?

All good questions: for the record 1) I only shoot threes with my wings as Ish Smith doesn't have that kind of range. 2) I only shoot open threes vs zone and I mix it up sometimes by kicking it out and then quickly feeding the post again--I dont like people thinking they can force me to play a perimeter game...plus we lack shot-makers overall...my highest rated player is a 78.

He actually jumped to block everything (like most people do) and why not? there's really no downside to spamming block. He only got three because I pump fake in the post pretty often, all of his blocks were on the perimeter. I dont think he really had a defensive plan. He clicked on the closest defender to whoever was shooting and tried to block the shot, simple.

My wings are starters Hollis Thompson (83/81) Robert Covington (80/78) and reserves Isiah Canaan (80/80) and Nik Stauskas (78/75) the first number is standing 3pt rating, the second is their moving 3pt rating. As you can see all four are good from behind the arc. I have a pretty good penetration and post game and again I only shoot open threes (which isn't hard when people are in zone if you swing the ball) I wish I would have posted the whole game on youtube but I did save a play that stuck out to me...its him contesting late and me missing...and yes, pretty much all of my threes were open like this. Due to being in zone some he couldn't contest of course--his defenders were too far out of the play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOhHveO-X7c

Last edited by Kushmir; 04-23-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0
User Bonuses: Yay or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
2K player since 2K2 and on-ball since then....pick another card, please. *waves hand dismissively*

And you're arguing that off ball is okay this year? It's not hard to beat but why would I not want to play another human being as someone who has "off (oops I'm sure I meant on ) balled since 2k2"?

The reason terrible people use it is because it's easier and unrealistic.... Sorry you feel otherwise. Stick to superstar simulation offline of you want to play off ball and against a computer.

It's the best year for on ball by far besides 2k11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Philbin; 04-23-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
My wings are starters Hollis Thompson (83/81) Robert Covington (80/78) and reserves Isiah Canaan (80/80) and Nik Stauskas (78/75) the first number is standing 3pt rating, the second is their moving 3pt rating. As you can see all four are good from behind the arc.
No, not really...In 2k16 a rating around 80 is not really good enough to hit shots with high percentage. It's just around the average. I don't even talk about ratings in the 70s with which is pretty hard to hit over 30%. In my opinion at least around 85 or more is needed to to that.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
No, not really...In 2k16 a rating around 80 is not really good enough to hit shots with high percentage. It's just around the average. I don't even talk about ratings in the 70s with which is pretty hard to hit over 30%. In my opinion at least around 85 or more is needed to to that.

Without late close outs and the person is naked open and depending on rhythm I'll shoot with someone who's even got 76+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #21
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
When you're gathering evidence for your piece, you're going to have to turn the Shot Grade Feedback on. You're going to need a way of illustrating that the game considers these bad shots due to the user defense. First, show what a guy's rating is on a stationary shot in practice mode, with no other defense around. Second, get that same player the same shot in game with the computer closing out late. And then finally, show that player taking the same shot against a late user-controlled close out. Your probably going to need another user to help you out and maintain a controlled environment and get multiple examples.

With examples like the one posted above, people are going to point out that your guy caught the ball on the move and you were pretty early on the shot release (you might want to switch shooting from "shot timing" to "real FG" to eliminate this variable). There's nothing in that clip that demonstrates that late user contests are overpowered. That very well could be the reason you missed, but people are going to point to a lot of other factors (caught it on the move, early release, NBA guys miss shots, etc) and you're going to go around that carousel endlessly. Now, if you can show:

"When Player A shoots a stationary 3 from the right wing ..."
Practice (Open) Grade = A
CPU late-contest Grade = B+
User late-contest Grade = D+

If you can do that, with video examples, then you can start to build a case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #22
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbin
And you're arguing that off ball is okay this year? It's not hard to beat but why would I not want to play another human being as someone who has "off (oops I'm sure I meant on ) balled since 2k2"?

The reason terrible people use it is because it's easier and unrealistic.... Sorry you feel otherwise. Stick to superstar simulation offline of you want to play off ball and against a computer.
READING. IS. FUNDAMENTAL.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #23
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
When you're gathering evidence for your piece, you're going to have to turn the Shot Grade Feedback on. You're going to need a way of illustrating that the game considers these bad shots due to the user defense. First, show what a guy's rating is on a stationary shot in practice mode, with no other defense around. Second, get that same player the same shot in game with the computer closing out late. And then finally, show that player taking the same shot against a late user-controlled close out. Your probably going to need another user to help you out and maintain a controlled environment and get multiple examples.

With examples like the one posted above, people are going to point out that your guy caught the ball on the move and you were pretty early on the shot release (you might want to switch shooting from "shot timing" to "real FG" to eliminate this variable). There's nothing in that clip that demonstrates that late user contests are overpowered. That very well could be the reason you missed, but people are going to point to a lot of other factors (caught it on the move, early release, NBA guys miss shots, etc) and you're going to go around that carousel endlessly. Now, if you can show:

"When Player A shoots a stationary 3 from the right wing ..."
Practice (Open) Grade = A
CPU late-contest Grade = B+
User late-contest Grade = D+

If you can do that, with video examples, then you can start to build a case.
Not a bad idea....although creating those situations would take some time. Virtually this entire year for me has been research on the game and on AI tendencies and imbalances. I started out looking at user-blocks vs AI blocks and then it kind of morphed into user-contests after seeing how effective they were.

But yes, there's no question NBA players miss shots. I'm actually just fine with shooting percentages overall (in truth to me they're almost perfect) And I recognize that lower-level teams like Philly/Phoenix are going to miss alot of even "open" shots. And i'm actually a big advocate of it....this is the first year they've really made the talent disparity a real factor and i'm a big fan. I hated seeing bad QBs in Madden resemble Brady because the user was good. The issues I have are simple and singular 1) that user-bonuses are unnecessary 2) they break the basic pvp agreement.

Last edited by Kushmir; 04-23-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #24
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Almost forgot....meant to address the "Sixers shot 33% from three" thing...it'd be nice if those stats translated, but right now the authenticity part of the game is still......evolving. The Sixers were also 3rd in the league in blocks (and 4th last year--so they're easily a shot-blocking team) I tested that part of the game for months and unless I initiated blocks my best shot blockers wouldn't even challenge shots much less block them. It wasn't odd to watch them go 8-10 games without a single block. As a matter of fact, they'd jump at every pump fake and foul more than anything else.

So in regards to team 3pt shooting %, its more of an individual thing than anything else. Is the player a good 3pt shooter/is he open? No they wont hit every one thanks to real shooting percentages (and thank God, Curry would be illegal) but open shooters will convert a good percentage over the course of a game. lol I can't even respond to the guy above who mentioned 80 3pt ratings not being 'good'...that's the silliest thing i've heard in some time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »