Home

GM OR MY LEAGUE (can players who are not stars develop into stars?)

This is a discussion on GM OR MY LEAGUE (can players who are not stars develop into stars?) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
GM OR MY LEAGUE (can players who are not stars develop into stars?)

During the Spurs Thunder game tonight, they mentioned James Harden and it made me think about this...

In NBA 2k, do role players have the ability to develop into stars??? (On CPU teams...) like a player that you've never really heard of or just a normal role guy over some season develop into a STUD (like harden did)

Have you guys seen this happen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

Re: GM OR MY LEAGUE (can players who are not stars develop into stars?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapex
During the Spurs Thunder game tonight, they mentioned James Harden and it made me think about this...

In NBA 2k, do role players have the ability to develop into stars??? (On CPU teams...) like a player that you've never really heard of or just a normal role guy over some season develop into a STUD (like harden did)

Have you guys seen this happen?
Well in all fairness when Harden was in OKC I wouldn't think of him as just a normal role player. But very occasionally they do. Sometimes players on bad teams with bad chemistry that go to a new team that is good and has good chemistry play much better in 2k.

You can also adjust potential in MyLeague
Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterperpetual
Well in all fairness when Harden was in OKC I wouldn't think of him as just a normal role player. But very occasionally they do. Sometimes players on bad teams with bad chemistry that go to a new team that is good and has good chemistry play much better in 2k.

You can also adjust potential in MyLeague
Thanks for the insight. How does the potential rating actually affect the game? Have you tinkered with it at all?

And yeah you are right about Harden.... But he def wouldn't have the same overall rating that he does as the starter that we see in Houston....

I just wondered if there was a way to quantify things like that happening via the "game logic" where random people would emerge as stars of their teams.... Overalls shooting up, roles changing etc....

Another example.... Curry from a rookie to what he is now. Huge difference is say.... Wouldn't you?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapex
Thanks for the insight. How does the potential rating actually affect the game? Have you tinkered with it at all?

And yeah you are right about Harden.... But he def wouldn't have the same overall rating that he does as the starter that we see in Houston....

I just wondered if there was a way to quantify things like that happening via the "game logic" where random people would emerge as stars of their teams.... Overalls shooting up, roles changing etc....

Another example.... Curry from a rookie to what he is now. Huge difference is say.... Wouldn't you?
Yes for sure. I think the problem is is, and the reason why 6th Man of the Year in 2k is usually nobody worth mentioning is they automatically start highest overall unless there is an A potential rookie then they will start them.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Pro

2K needs rating for Current Ability and Potential Ability, league just don't produce 'scripted' stars based on their collegiate or early NBA success.

Curry was pretty much only good player until last year, Hassan Whiteside although great potential ended up in China/Lebanon before being recognized as useful bigman in NBA. Michael Beasley melted from star status to role player in just few years, Danny Green played in Slovenia before being called by Spurs. Gerald Green bounced in China/Russian/D-League before making his return to Nets.

2K needs serious overhaul of potential and career paths especially in modes like MyCareer & MyLeague, not every lottery pick will be star/useful player just like not every 2nd rounder will end up waived. Isaiah Thomas ??? ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Rookie

👆🏾👆🏾👆🏾👆🏾agreed
Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
2K needs rating for Current Ability and Potential Ability, league just don't produce 'scripted' stars based on their collegiate or early NBA success.

Curry was pretty much only good player until last year, Hassan Whiteside although great potential ended up in China/Lebanon before being recognized as useful bigman in NBA. Michael Beasley melted from star status to role player in just few years, Danny Green played in Slovenia before being called by Spurs. Gerald Green bounced in China/Russian/D-League before making his return to Nets.

2K needs serious overhaul of potential and career paths especially in modes like MyCareer & MyLeague, not every lottery pick will be star/useful player just like not every 2nd rounder will end up waived. Isaiah Thomas ??? ^^
It's the single biggest thing that would reinvigorate my love for franchise mode. A rebuild would actually be...challenging. You'd have serious questions about buying low or selling high on players. Assets would take on a different meaning. 2nd round picks (and late 1sts) would actually have value. The list goes on.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22

My players develop way too quickly. Don't know why.

I have 6 guys on my team 80+ rated 3 years in. Granted I'm playing with the Wolves, but still that's quick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »