Home

Redefining The 2K Shooting & Dribbling Systems

This is a discussion on Redefining The 2K Shooting & Dribbling Systems within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Dribbling:

For around a decade, the dribbling system has never revolved around user skill, instead the dribbling ability of a player has been defined by the animations he has. Instead of having every animation go at the same speed regardless of attributes, the speed of the animation should be determined by how fast the user does the dribble move with his analog stick. Obviously there would be a different limit to everyone which would be determined by their ball handling. If you tried dribbling too fast with a certain player, you could risk losing the ball. It would revamp the dribble system, requiring users to do more than just Youtube the best animations for their players.

Shooting:

The same can be said for shooting. Simply holding X and looking at the bar barely requires any real skill, a more precise system might be having the right analog pressed straight up, determining the precise placement of the ball. The margin of error you would have would be determined by the shooting attribute from the range your shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #2
Pro

KwiLL23's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Redefining The 2K Shooting & Dribbling Systems

I second this. Revamping the shooting system to ball placement would add realism. I wonder with the technology that they have, is it possible for them to look into it down the line.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Speed does play a small part in dribbling because certain animations require faster inputs like the double between the legs and double behind the back. Your right though, you can only dribble so fast or slow.

My problem with dribbling is that there is no flow due to how the individual animations are cut. The only dribbles that seem to flow well is the package that Mike Conley has. Check this video at 20 seconds. His animations branch well. That video is actually from 2K15 but he has that same package in 2K16.https://youtu.be/Y4OXk0xldeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 06-07-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
Rookie

twebb5896's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Redefining The 2K Shooting & Dribbling Systems

I have to disagree on the shooting guys, I absolutely hate having my dribbling and shooting input on the same button.

Online I don't have enough time to go from flicking in one direction to holding in another by the time I do that my defender will be in my face again.

I agree that they both need to be revamped but I advise against using the same stick you use to dribble to shoot. What if you have someone who has "slow" dribble moves and you moved the stick a split second too long and all of a sudden you're rising up for a terrible shot?

I just wish like you said dribbling was more fluid, but don't have shooting exclusively on the stick...... EVER

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »