Home

NBA 2K16: Road to the Finals Event Recap

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16: Road to the Finals Event Recap within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA 2K16: Road to the Finals Event Recap

2K Sports’ NBA 2K series has unquestionably entered the eSports arena. The company wrapped up their first high-profile event, dubbed "Road To The Finals," with a major championship event this past week. After two million games played by 100,000 teams, the Drewkerbockers HLZDB were crowned the inaugural winners of the Road To The Finals (RTTF) tournament. Along with the prestige of being crowned the winners, the champs received tickets to Game 1 of the NBA Finals, impressive championship rings (in rotating ring boxes) and a $250,000 prize.

This was a star-studded event by eSports standards. Not only were friends and family there to cheer on the teams, but also included in the crowd were a veritable who’s who of the NBA 2K development and community team. In addition, stars from the sports world also made an appearance. Paul George was unveiled as the cover athlete for this year’s game, former NBA great Rick Fox hosted the festivities, and Kobe Bryant was there to represent as the cover athlete for the Legends edition of NBA 2K17 -- and to be, well, legendary.

Read More - NBA 2K16: Road to the Finals Event Recap
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K16: Road to the Finals Event Recap

Just hoping that next year the qualifications will not be a complete joke that involved 80% luck and 20% skill.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Rookie

GradyMac's Arena

I didn't particularly like the qualify system; but saying it was 80% luck is hyperbole.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
MVP

SeaTownGamer's Arena

Qualifying system was weak. I have a feeling the developers will fix it and improve on it.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Rookie

bottledwaterfan25's Arena

OVR: 4

I think that what they did this year was a good start considering it's 2k's first attempt at E-Sports. However, that being said, the qualifying system was a complete mess. If I had time I would type out a long, detailed message describing what I think the optimal qualifying system SHOULD be.

Instead, what I will say is that for future events, winning should be everything. Winning should be the only thing. What we had this year was winning, but with strings attached. The qualifying system this year actually reminded me a lot of the BCS system that was used for years to determine the college football bowl games, which we no longer have because so many people realized how awful that system was, and hated it.
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
Banned

19LloydBanks82's Arena

Make it global next year #EuropeanLivesMatter
Old 06-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

2K Sports’ NBA 2K series has unquestionably entered the eSports arena.

No. Not really.

2K has a long way to go in order to call themselves actual esports. So many aspects of the process are rushed and just wrong.

This tourney was not a test of skill.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6_Foul_Out
No. Not really.

2K has a long way to go in order to call themselves actual esports. So many aspects of the process are rushed and just wrong.

This tourney was not a test of skill.
Make sure you visit us tomorrow...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »