Home

NBA 2K17 The Post Game Offense/Defense Needs work & other things

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 The Post Game Offense/Defense Needs work & other things within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NBA 2K17 The Post Game Offense/Defense Needs work & other things

Hey guys, I'm an avid reader and conributor here on OS and i wanted to shed some light on a topic that's near and dear to me when it comes to playing 2k.
I don't know about you guys, but when i was growing up, watching the NBA on tv, i came up during the Era where Big men dominated the league. I know the league has changed its attention to the guards and very much so because the guards are responsible for creating and carrying a great load of the scoring nowadays. What i fail to see in the 2k franchise though is the attention to the post game.
More specifically the fluidity of the post game, and the respect for those guards, or big men who have high post ratings.

I've Played 2k since the first 2k, so i've seen the progression of the franchise in every area. The post game and the post defense have more moves than ever before, but to implement them or have the proper spacing, and counter moves to what the offense shows you doesnt seem to translate well in 2k15 or 2k16.

One of my guys Rusdids29 who is pretty good in the post put up a video of him showcasing himself putting in work in the post and it only made realize even more that this game needs work.

If you look at the defenders that are guarding him, there's literally no way they can counter anything that he's doing from a defensive standpoint. They just magically slide out of the way, or get caught with their hands up and doing that awful double jump animation in attempts to block his moves.

If anyone who cares about playing in the post can tell you, once you figure out(i mean that literally because there arent alot of post move tutorials in game) playing the pivot can be a pain because the moves don't come out as smooth and if the spacing isn't right, you're bound to get harassed by other people trying to strip the ball from you or you might just find yourself in one of those canimations where you get stopped dead in your tracks.

The post defense is another story, how many times are you guarding an opposing big man and you have the right stick/hands up defense, only to get sucked into some auto jump foul and you didnt even press jump? If you have Post Lockdown Defender as a badge on your myplayer or nba player, nonetheless even if you dont, playing def in the post should be a lot less clumsier than it is as of now. Post Lockdown defender badge should negate any big man from jumping into an unnecessary foul that a person with lower defesive IQ would and should get called for.

Why in 2k11 did we have more fluidity to the moves from crossovers, to Post game than we do now in this current generation of xbox one and ps4?

check out the move at 3:17

here it is again at 2:20 courtesy of ipodkingcarter

Look at how smooth movement looks when ball handling on 2k11 as compared to how stiff and nerfed the dribbling feels on 2k16.

What happened to controls feeling smoth and responsive? Everyone gives this franchise alot of praise, and deservedly so, but as a true fan of the series, can you honestly say 2k hasnt taken some steps back in tight controls, responsiveness, and overall execution of the moves in the game?

Chime in your thoughts...

Last edited by Breakstarter; 06-11-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NBA 2K17 The Post Game Offense/Defense Needs work & other things

I actually think they balanced the post game perfectly this year. This is the first year were the defenders are free to move and shade a particular side in the post. The post fade is not OP, and there are no unstoppable post moves or animations. Good job 2k. Just make more signature post animations and the post game of 17 will be fine.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 06-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Great post. Control responsiveness and more realistic acceleration and "first step" should be a top priority for 2K17. The animations are phenomenal in 2K16, but it's time to bring it all together and make thw game feel more organic.

My biggest pet peeve in 2k16 is the "suction" defense from the CPU and all the nerfing they've done to the dribble drive/ ball handlers.

If they want to apply all of these nerf elements to online play (to reduce cheesing) that is fine. However, this should not be an issue in offline modes.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I think this is the most balanced I've seen the post game in 2k.

the post hook and up/ under are really nice. Haven't mastered the drop step yet. I love the post drive this year . The post fade has been horrible for me this year . Just doesn't fall. Haven't tried the step back this year .

On defense I can defend all of those moves minus the weird bumping lack of collision .
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
Rookie

adamspag's Arena

OVR: 0

I will just copy and paste what I wrote on the wishlist thread and I agree with you that fluidity of movement in the post is an issue I hope they look at

- Change the mechanics of the hook shot
Change the hook shot to a separate button, I don’t know maybe clicking down on the right stick will initiate a hook shot (you could even give it a shot meter).
The only reliable way to initiate a hook shot is with your back to the basket, when you face up you have to hope the computer gives you a hook shot animation, most of the time it will give a driving layup animation or a silly 2 handed layup animation.
This could create interesting chain moves. Imagine being able to post up in triple threat, pivot to face up, jab step and hook shot, something as simple as that is basically impossible in 2k16 or just being able to drop step base line and hook shot like Dwight does 80 % of the time in the video bellow (starting from 20sec).

- Bring back the running hook shot

The above change to the hook shot mechanic could help this. (Drive inside, press right trigger while running to do a running hook shot)

- Let hook shots take advantage of the bank is open badge
Hold left stick towards the basket, press right trigger to do a hook shot, hook shot banks off glass.

- Give us a power dribble animation from the post

- Nerf post lock-down defender badge
Most shots in the post don't use a shot meter so shot success is largely dependent on badges. Make it so a gold lock down defender badge only drops offensive badges down by two levels instead of totally negating them

- Make it harder to get into good post position
Much too easy to get into prime post position in 2k16

- Offensive fouls on people who abuse aggressive back-down in the post

- Fix timing of rebounds
This could be done by refining over the back and goal tending fouls. If you get box out and jump at all it should be an over the back foul 100% of the time. If you jump too early it should be goal tending 100% of the time.

- Standing pump fake up and unders

- Seperate animations
This is something I would like to see with the post hook. You can currently do three post hook animations with each package, an inside, baseline and triple threat hook shot. I would love to see these separated, post hook 7 has an amazing inside fading hook-shot but its baseline hook shot in absolute dog **** and clunks off the backboard.

finally something that really bugs me in this game is that on HOF/SIM you have a higher chance of hitting an uncontested three than you do hitting an uncontested post hook. I did a little test a while ago with a created 99 overall player, with all relevant badges equipped. I shot 1000s three pointers all from the same spot and 1000s post hook shots all from the same spot triggering the same animations each time. here is the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
basically I had a 57% chance of hitting a three and a 53% chance of hitting a post hook. I guess the big variable is the shot meter

Last edited by adamspag; 06-11-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »