Home

I hope 2k goes in a different direction with defense for 17

This is a discussion on I hope 2k goes in a different direction with defense for 17 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #41
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I hope 2k goes in a different direction with defense for 17

I really do wish man defense was less physical but I don't want the game to heavily favor the offense. I also don't want it to where the offensive player can get to the rim every time. I want it less physical in the sense that I don't think the defense should be able to stonewall or greatly impede the ballhandler with physical contact since that isn't NBA basketball (at least not anymore). However, to counter a less physical defense I would love to see a real threat of push off fouls and charges for ballhandlers forcing the drive. This would make the user more hesitant (read: smarter) when attacking.

When it comes to My Park, however, I think there should be more physical defense. I know it seems like I'm contradicting myself but since My Park is supposed to have park rules I think a more physical defense should be allowed. Maybe even give this exception to classic teams pre handchecking.

The NBA emphasizes freedom of movement now so 2k should do the same. The main problem I see with that right now, as ksuttonjr76 said, is that help defense and defensive rotations still need a ton of work. They should open up perimeter defense but only when those are fixed. That post by Czar 24th posted alluded to this. That was almost 6 years ago and these problems still persist. With that said I'm really interested to see what they've done in regards to defense for 17.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #42
Pro

sactown_13's Arena

OVR: 10

I can see where you are coming from. However, I am not a fan of all the bumping on the perimeter. I would love to see team defense be more of a priority. I agree that guards shouldnt beat a defender with 1-3 moves every time but it is common place in the nba. Team defense is what separates good players and glory chasers.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #43
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Live did implement ragdoll physics with success in certain areas, but its also a testament to just how difficult it is to implement because by the time Live 16 came, they were back to a lot of the bumping, and even carrying the offensive player (Like NG 2K14) they sought to get rid of because defense was nonexistent otherwise. A lot of people just throw out 'physics should determine everything' as a easy fix but its not that simple. I agree with you though Mark, its probably the best route to take, we just have to figure out how to balance things out...and thats no simple task.

Herea a post from Czar regarding why 'bumping' even came along in 2K11 and a hood read overall on the task of putting this stuff in place

Spoiler
Precisely. And to ask the devs to strip back a formula that's only an issue for some and re-work from bare bones with these short dev cycles whilst ALSO addressing other things, adding things, scanning and mo-capping things..... impossible.

2K does have a knack for doing seemingly the impossible and blowing us fans away yearly.....

It's nice to think about though......
Old 07-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #44
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Maybe they could limit those bump animations to good perimeter defenders, and either call fouls when poor defenders do it or give poor defenders the blow by animations.

As long as there is a difference between Love and Allen on the wing i am good.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 07-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #45
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Maybe they could limit those bump animations to good perimeter defenders, and either call fouls when poor defenders do it or give poor defenders the blow by animations.

As long as there is a difference between Love and Allen on the wing i am good.
That's a good idea. 2K Sports took a step in the right direction in trying to separate good, descent, and poor defenders with the new additional ratings. When I play the game offline (started a season mode with the expected 2016-2017 roster), the defense feels perfect for me. It's the user vs. user situations that's hurting the game. As a side note, I'm using the word "hurting" loosely.

I do want to clarify my point though. I just want to play defense in manner where if I decide to use Paul George and focus exclusively on defensive, I want to feel his defensive impact on the game/player. However, I know that I shouldn't be able to play lock down defense with Aarron Brooks.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 07-21-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »