Home

Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed

This is a discussion on Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #65
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx313xx
This is a bs lawsuit. Plain and simple. You can't claim ownership for something you put on someones body. Looks like a stupid cash grab in my opinion. If you can sue somebody for the appearance of a tattoo you created then why not go after the NBA for royalties. The made more money off the Finals alone then 2k did off of one years worth of sales on a game. Hell half the Cavaliers have a billion tattoos. Why not sue the league? Making plenty of money displaying your art. NBA likely has much more monstrous lawyers too. Garbage *** lawsuit. Further more whats stopping 2k from putting a sketch tool in the games and letting people add the tattoos that way? Not a damn thing......
I love when people have no actual knowledge of the law but claim a lawsuit is BS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #66
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I doubt this lawsuit will affect 2k17 at all. I dont even think it will lead to tattoos not being in the game. Two reasons for that:

- People keep comparing this to the Madden situation but I think Tattoos are more important in basketball than in football from a realism perspective. One reason is because of the jerseys which show the entire arm. Even if 2k lost this suit, I think they would find a way to keep them in.

- I believe the NBAPA has agreed to indemnify 2k against claims of this type so its possible that 2k isnt that concerned about this suit.
Thank you for the explanation, I love it when two people have a valid back & forth exchange (us) and I come out learning something on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx313xx
This is a bs lawsuit. Plain and simple. You can't claim ownership for something you put on someones body. Looks like a stupid cash grab in my opinion. If you can sue somebody for the appearance of a tattoo you created then why not go after the NBA for royalties. The made more money off the Finals alone then 2k did off of one years worth of sales on a game. Hell half the Cavaliers have a billion tattoos. Why not sue the league? Making plenty of money displaying your art. NBA likely has much more monstrous lawyers too. Garbage *** lawsuit. Further more whats stopping 2k from putting a sketch tool in the games and letting people add the tattoos that way? Not a damn thing......
Umm.

Ignorance is bliss?

Quote:
I love when people have no actual knowledge of the law but claim a lawsuit is BS.
Yea these are the type of responses I expect from someone extremely uninformed on the subject matter. It's a bit silly, similar to a kid ranting.

I prefer the knowledgeable exchanges to learn more about it. Rather than the rants.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Ok then, enlighten me. Why not sue the league who constantly does the same thing once the season starts for all intent and purposes. Don't insult, educate. How is this not a bs witch hunt or cash grab? Would love to know. Plenty of other sports have ways of athletes covering up their bodies as to not display tattoos. Not that is generally the reason. By all means though explain why you wouldn't sue the league but would sue a game developer?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #68
Rookie

It's not BS but very petty to me anyway. I get both sides, because it's like it's their work but then again if 2K wasn't so popular would this even be a topic? They should do like Live and just partner up with a few of those players tattoo artists and have them design original ones for say MyPlayer & etc. That way the more popular athletes keep their ink, they get $$ for their original art for MyCareer etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #69
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman
Thank you for the explanation, I love it when two people have a valid back & forth exchange (us) and I come out learning something on the subject.

Umm.

Ignorance is bliss?

Yea these are the type of responses I expect from someone extremely uninformed on the subject matter. It's a bit silly, similar to a kid ranting.

I prefer the knowledgeable exchanges to learn more about it. Rather than the rants.
Again if you have a law degree or some formal knowledge educate me on why I should not think this way. Don't be a snob. Explain why the average person should not think this way.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #70
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sane478
It's not BS but very petty to me anyway. I get both sides, because it's like it's their work but then again if 2K wasn't so popular would this even be a topic? They should do like Live and just partner up with a few of those players tattoo artists and have them design original ones for say MyPlayer & etc. That way the more popular athletes keep their ink, they get $$ for their original art for MyCareer etc..

That brings up an interesting question. If this series wasn't so big would this be happening?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #71
Rookie

Look guys I have a degree in Computer Science not Law so if you know something, I'm willing to hear you out. Insulting is not going to get us anywhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #72
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
CI didnt eradicate college sports games. Likeness rights did. Those are completely different things.

The people who ultimately suffer are also a tattoo artist who makes 30-40k a year and has to watch a billion dollar corporation copy his artwork without compensation.

Likeness is a form of copyright infringement...

Artist who are great enough to tattoo a professional artist, athlete, actor etc. make far more than the median salary as well.

The most highly sought after tattoo artist can make upwards of $1000 bucks per hour.

They are able to charge that much because they are highly sought after... Top tattoo artist are making a great living.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/...attoo-artists/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »