Home

By which criteria does 2k rate the defense of players?

This is a discussion on By which criteria does 2k rate the defense of players? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2016, 05:06 AM   #1
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
By which criteria does 2k rate the defense of players?

I ask myself for a longer time now, which criteria does 2k take into account when rating the defensive side of players?

I mean, offense should be pretty easy. There are tons of distinct stats that you can correlate directly with the ratings - Open 3 Pt with uncontested 3s for example. But what about the defense?

The example from where I get the question is George Hill. In my opinion, George Hill is a pretty good defender, but in the game, he is rated as a subpar defender for years now. This year he has ratings of (when I remember them right) 70 Onball Defense,71 Pick and Roll Defense or 50 Defensive Consistency.

Am I just a lil pacers fanboy and by the objective scale 2k uses, Hill is a subpar defender? Do they use a rating which doesn't account for Hills skills? Or what is it? I ask myself for several players there, not just Hill, of which I thought they were good (or bad!) defenders, but have ratings that differ from my recognition of them.

Some stats for Hill:

Def. Winshare: 0.51 (#14 in the NBA, Paul George, the team leader last year, had 0.53, only 4 players - Curry, Kidd-Gilchrist, Dray Green and Leonard - have 0.60 or higher)
Defended FG%: 42.9% (Paul George has 40.7%)
Opponent FG%/eFG%/PPP in Isolations: 22.2%/26.4%/0.61 (Teamleader! Paul George has 39.2%/41.8%/0.80)
Opponent FG%/eFG%/PPP in PnR as Defender of the Ballhandler: 39.5%/41.7%/0.75 (Paul George has 42.3%/43.9%/0.85)

By no means I want Hill to be the best defender there ever was. Or be better than Paul George. But come on, he is pretty good! An upgrade in defensive Ratings at least to the low 80s would be necessary in my opinion. For example: Nick Young has 72 On Ball Defense and 50 Def Consistency...And we all know how good Nick Young is as a defender.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »