Home

Shooting - offline sim basketball

This is a discussion on Shooting - offline sim basketball within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Shooting - offline sim basketball

What's up guys?

Tomorrow is the big day and I will probably start my league for real.

I really like to play sim basketball (used to play 12 min quarters, but marriage, work and a kid reduced my minutes to 6 a quarter). But each year I dwell on manual or real fg%.

I mean, it feels nice to get a green release most of the time (especially game winning shots), but it seems kind of random. If I use real fg% sometimes I feel like I have no control. Does it matter if my player is free, or
tired or hot?

What do you guys think and use as far as sim offline basketball goes?

Cheers

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Shooting - offline sim basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by takezo1584
What's up guys?

I really like to play sim basketball (used to play 12 min quarters, but marriage, work and a kid reduced my minutes to 6 a quarter). But each year I dwell on manual or real fg%.

I mean, it feels nice to get a green release most of the time (especially game winning shots), but it seems kind of random. If I use real fg% sometimes I feel like I have no control. Does it matter if my player is free, or
tired or hot?

Cheers

I don't know if it does, but "Real FG%" should factor in many different factors into the equation. If it doesn't then that's a pretty poor implementation.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Rookie

Whats tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Rookie

The start of the season

Old 10-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
What's up guys?

tired or hot?

Cheers

There are two shooting types in the settings.

1. User timing - User controlled. Must be able to get good shots PLUS know your players release.
2. Real Player % - CPU assisted shooting. Need good shot selection but don't need to know each players release. You just choose to shoot with the button or stick. Release doesn't matter.

I've personally shot a high percentage on HOF level on either setting.

Which one of these settings you choose will depend on what kind of simulation experience you are going for. Are you looking for strictly stat based simulation? Or, one where you have to practice with players to learn how to shoot with them.

I personally prefer the latter because I have to really know my team well. I have to take them into practice mode and shoot with them. Having to practice with players is more sim to me that the stats necessarily.

Real player percentage doesn't mean realistic stats. If you can't get good shots, then the setting won't help.

User timing isn't necessarily easy with all players either. It's one thing to shoot with a player with an easy shot release vs a glitched one. As an example, in the past, I could never shoot with George Hill on user timing and would have actually improved my shooting with him on real player percentage rather than suffer through endless misses.

Keep in mind that the team you choose and the difficulty of mastering that teams releases might matter as well as what difficulty level you are playing on. Releases matter more at HOF than rookie.

If you suck at releases then use real player %. If your timing is impeccable use real player percentage.

Real player percentage is option only vs the CPU and not in user vs user games. If you play offline and online vs users stick to user timing so you are always on the same setting.

A more sim experience might be stick to user timing and just turn off the shot meter and shot feedback. That's what I do.

As a side note, I don't have any evidence but I thought that real player % was broken last year. I haven't checked this year.

Here is a video I did that talks about this setting in more detail.

https://youtu.be/_41jhftIb4E

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 10-24-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
The start of the season

Ohhh thought u meant like a patch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #7
Rookie

Coach2k

That's a really cool answer!!!!

I experimented with user timing without feedback last year... maybe I will try it again...

I guess I wanted both worlds: stats and control. Maybe I'll gê it by adjusting sliders and not switching shooting methods.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »