Home

NBA 2K17 All-Star Tournament Announced, NBA 2K Pro-Am Winner Receives $250,000 & More

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 All-Star Tournament Announced, NBA 2K Pro-Am Winner Receives $250,000 & More within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Rookie

bhzmfia14's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K17 All-Star Tournament Announced, NBA 2K Pro-Am Winner Receives $250,000 &

Please don't tell me they have a similar scoring system as last season....

Are we really going to see teams accumulating 1,500 point games?

What's wrong with a simple win/loss double elimination tournament
Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
This is cool and all but when some players have an advantage (ability to pay to make an amazing player). It would make sense if players actually had to play the game mode to become better and earn upgrades instead of VC.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
Rookie

bhzmfia14's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K17 All-Star Tournament Announced, NBA 2K Pro-Am Winner Receives $250,000 &

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queannn
This is cool and all but when some players have an advantage (ability to pay to make an amazing player). It would make sense if players actually had to play the game mode to become better and earn upgrades instead of VC.

I'm less concerned about players with 98 ratings than people abusing the point system again this year (unless I'm not reading it correctly).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #12
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12
It's ain't easy being cheesy!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
MVP

ph33's Arena

I tried to read thoroughly to see what gets you qualified and is it just like last year?

That system........eh..........
Old 12-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhzmfia14
I'm less concerned about players with 98 ratings than people abusing the point system again this year (unless I'm not reading it correctly).

This here. People figured out the point system and it showed heavily the last 3-4 qualification rounds in RTTF last year. Not to mention the boosting that was going on to get in by any means necessary. It's going to be interesting this year. Top 16 teams should've made the tournament on each console IMO. This points system is super suspect.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
Rookie

Here's my question. Last year, I'm assuming that cash prize was split between all 5 players. However, this year with a 10 man roster, how exactly does it work?

Do all 10 get flown out from each side to face each other and 5 are chosen to play? Does this mean that all 10 split the cash prize or only the 5 that are selected to go? Cause that's kind of a crappy deal if players who helped contribute to those wins including qualifying ended up being left out in the cold due to not being chosen to head the team. I know the ones with the most wins end up at the team of the team leaderboards and all but it's not like it doesn't mean other players aren't as important.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhzmfia14
Please don't tell me they have a similar scoring system as last season....

What's wrong with a simple win/loss double elimination tournament
Quote:
I tried to read thoroughly to see what gets you qualified and is it just like last year?

That system........eh..........
Quote:
People figured out the point system and it showed heavily the last 3-4 qualification rounds in RTTF last year. Not to mention the boosting that was going on to get in by any means necessary. Top 16 teams should've made the tournament on each console IMO. This points system is super suspect.
I don't know a single person in the Pro Am community who liked the points-based system from 2K16, and I cannot understand why 2K is using it again this year after all of the negative feedback it received last year.

This is the only gaming tournament I have ever seen where stat padding and blowing out bad teams is rewarded over beating good teams in close, competitive contests. Plus any team that likes to play basketball at a slow, methodical pace instantly has no chance of qualifying in a system that favors high scores and high margins of victory. That same issue hurts teams who like to take 2 point shots over 3 point shots; you are inherently at a disadvantage in this system if you're not fastbreaking as much as possible and hunting for a three pointer every single possession.

The thing that disappoints me the most about this tournament structure is how 2K used to have a much better qualifying system on the Xbox 360 with games like College Hoops 2K8 and All Pro Football 2K8, where your advancement was only based on winning, with no weight being put on margin of victory.

Collusion also wasn't possible in the old College Hoops/All Pro Football tournaments, because players were put into a March Madness style bracket instead of the blind matchmaking system that was used for 2K16 and is returning for 2K17, which can easily be abused if two team captains with similar rankings and a similar geographic location get into the same party chat and press the search button at the exact same time.

The fact that 2K still hasn't done anything to penalize all of the 98 overall glitchers who have 15 extra attribute upgrades compared to people who've played the game fairly just makes this tournament even less legitimate than last year's debacle.

Last edited by jyoung; 12-14-2016 at 03:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »