Home

NBA = FIFA, if goalies randomly ran away from the net to let you score

This is a discussion on NBA = FIFA, if goalies randomly ran away from the net to let you score within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
NBA = FIFA, if goalies randomly ran away from the net to let you score

Hi all,

I'm noticing a serious problem going on here at OS, and I wanted to try to do something to help fix it. There are a few fantastic threads highlighting issues with NBA 2K17. The problem is, there is FAR TOO MUCH undeserving praise and high reviews going on, and that's an issue. Like you guys, I want the best basketball game possible. 2K basketball has been the gold standard for years, and it no longer is.

Please read on, and don't judge me or just say I'm hating. That is not what this is about.

The problem is summed up simply. Imagine if you are playing FIFA, or PES, and randomly, several times a game, your goalie or the AI goalie just randomly runs away from the net when the offense gets close, allowing an easy, free goal.

Would that be fun to you? Would you keep playing it? Would you be able to, with a straight face, say the game is a 9 out of 10?

Well, that's NBA 2K17's defense in a nutshell. It is flat out broken. All the 8.5, 9, 9.5 review scores are sending a terrible message to 2K - it's OK to release a broken game, because we don't care. The developers need to know what's wrong, and they need to know it isn't OK to just let this happen and not fix it. This game was NOT ready for release, and so far, through all the threads, tweets, YouTube videos, etc., I've yet to see a single developer acknowledge the defensive problems.

I don't know if the issue is people not having basketball knowledge, or just being blind to the issues, or what. The game is fun, no doubt. It plays great in many ways, no doubt. But it has fundamental, massive, glaring problems that make it unplayable to me, and many others on this site.

Pick and roll defense doesn't work properly. Transition defense doesn't work properly. Defensive rotation doesn't work properly. Defenders randomly, literally, run AWAY from their man and stand far away from them, doing nothing, allowing easy, wide open shots.

Have you ever noticed that the AI (if you're playing the computer) seems to get a lot of WIDE OPEN shots? Have you ever taken the time to look at a replay of what happened? You should. It's eye opening and incredibly disappointing. It's not an organic thing. It's not bad defense. It's not great offense. It's BROKEN programming in the defensive AI causing many issues.

Some videos to demonstrate, courtesy of 33JAF, Smoove, and some others...

Please don't dismiss this as random occurrences or "just bad defenders." This is a problem. It's not every play... but it's a lot more often than people seem to realize. All I want is to keep attention called to this, and make sure the devs see what's going on. Because this game is great in so many ways, but it needs some big fixes to actually represent the game of basketball.

Last edited by PhantomLord; 09-24-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NBA = FIFA, if goalies randomly ran away from the net to let you score

Mike Wang and the other guys know that these are legitimate issues. Anything from anybody here that says otherwise is coddling.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Rookie

Most reviewers aren't that invested in sports titles and thus don't bother to really put forth the analysis to properly review these titles.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

Why oh, why did I open this thread? Ignorance is bliss but I can't un see this.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunN1st
Why oh, why did I open this thread? Ignorance is bliss but I can't un see this.
Ugh, I'm sorry my man. While I want people to see this, obviously, I also don't want to ruin someone's fun experience. It's a fine line, but I really want to see this stuff fixed, because this game is SO FREAKING GOOD in so many ways and I want to play it and have fun!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't doubt that the AI and Ace does a lot of stupid ****. I don't doubt that MyCareer is a mess because you have no control.

But if you turn ace off and set your team properly it's working fine.

Look at the settings I set before this game and look how the AI applys them. No one is leaving their man besides Drummond who I have on gap on Noah just so he can be in the paint.

I'am willing to upload the other quarters if need be.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I don't doubt that the AI and Ace does a lot of stupid ****. I don't doubt that MyCareer is a mess because you have no control.

But if you turn ace off and set your team properly it's working fine.

Look at the settings I set before this game and look how the AI applys them. No one is leaving their man besides Drummond who I have on gap on Noah just so he can be in the paint.

I'am willing to upload the other quarters if need be.
Thanks for this. I sometimes flio flop between Defense works and it doesn't. But I think it works but there are obvious breakdowns and those can be frustrating.

I think players who post this video should be required to post their defensive settings amd player ratings. I like to use D. Russell or Clarkson as an example. No matter what their settings are they are terrible defenders and expecting good defense from them is lunacy. Same with LOTS of other players

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
Rookie

These issues are legit, but I THINK that a lot of them can be obviated by using Defensive Settings in game from the pause menu. Now...

Why isn't that menu available in the matchup menu during loading? Sigh...

Why isn't that menu available in the MyGM hub, say the calendar, before choosing to play or sim? Sigh...

WHY ISN'T THERE AN IN-GAME EXPLANATION OF ALL OF THE DEFENSIVE SETTINGS SO PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND HOW THEY AFFECT THE GAME?

Sigh...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »