Home

2Ks "I know better than the person on the sticks" programming

This is a discussion on 2Ks "I know better than the person on the sticks" programming within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: 2Ks "I know better than the person on the sticks" programming

I've barely played the game much this year, i'm about to trade it in since its just collecting dust on my shelf. First time this has happened since 2k12.

The lack of control by the user and poor defense are the #1 things I just can't tolerate about 2k17. I feel like im just watching a bunch of animations play out that supersede what im actually inputing into my controller. Your either being held back by animations and not being able to move like you want to. Being pulled or slid on the court for no reason. Reaching, jumping, and posting up all happening by itself with zero input by me, even with assistance turned off.

2k17 is just no fun when all your doing is watching a bunch of pre-programmed animations play out that you have no control over.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #34
Banned

HUSTLER_79's Arena

OVR: 0

True dat ruffrider ! I have the same issue although i still play 2 mygm games a day but after those 2 i feel animation sick

They dont let us play defense and its all scripted
The thing that bothers me the most is defense !
Especially trying to contest shots and layups , feels like they implemented some force field that dictates you user defense

If 2k18 is going to be this way defensively i wont buy it .period. sick of 23 seconds of killer defense and 1 crucial cpu inflicted animation that ruins my efforts.

Good luck with pro am and my career and all those VC snatching modes .i wont buy it !
Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #35
Rookie

I agree with so many of the posts on here. There's just too many automated and poorly implemented animations in the game that I see occur over and over again, that takes the user completely out of the equation of what your trying to do and forces you to do things that you don't want to happen.

From a user control stand point i can easily say that this is by far the most frustrating 2k basketball game I have ever played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #36
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

Those random reach in fouls by CPU defenders are sooooooo annoying.

I do have defensive assist on though, but thought that was to help with my positioning.. not that CPU teammates randomly try and steal it with 3 seconds left on the shot clock.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #37
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

They'd have to re-create the engine to fix it... which won't happen until Playstation 5 and even then it probably won't change.

There are no physics in this game, it really is just a card game with a dice. It works in some ways, but it creates a lot of BS beyond your control.

Maybe they could just have a "cancel animation" button?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #38
Pro

OVR: 12

For the last few iterations of NBA 2k i've felt like, codingwise, this game is a mess of archaic code held together by thin strands of modern day coding. Basicly a late game jenga tower which is probably going to fall on the next turn.

Patching must be a development minefield if things that should be added come with more risk of breaking something else in the games code without a reward of equal measure. Last year, VC forgot to add multi-direction size-up animations to edit modes and CAP but fixed this issue without breaking anything else... This year, i still cant edit a players rhythym dribble animations or edit any of the named signature dunk packages reserved for the (imo) played out, grindy, challengeless, and boring my career mode/park mode.

And now we have 2K putting out videoss excusing themselves of this wonky coding and saying its hard... But wow, every time theres a VC sale or the like that works perfectly!! Everytime a roster update comes out Im required to wait upwards of 17 minutes b4 i can interact with the menus, get into my league, sit through an extended pre-game loading screen(at least i got shaq kenny and ernie stuff i havent seen yet) and receive an indismissable message practically punishing me if i dont return to the main menu, almost in spite of the fact that I have literally 0 used for these updates. Im not even given a choice, its like being forcefed anchovies on my plain cheese pizza, cause i end up really salty at the end of the day.

What am I supposed to think in the face of this? Is simnation dying because we cant breathe VCo2? I've bought every single NBA 2K since DC on day 1 except for '05 or 06, and 2k17 is the only one i regret buying and its because 2K just doesnt have me in its target demographic anymore. There will probably not be an NBA 2K christmas for me this fall... First time in 11 or 12 years.

Last edited by 2k10Fonzarelli; 04-05-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #39
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k10Fonzarelli
I've bought every single NBA 2K since DC on day 1 except for '05 or 06, and 2k17 is the only one i regret buying and its because 2K just doesnt have me in its target demographic anymore. There will probably not be an NBA 2K christmas for me this fall... First time in 11 or 12 years.
I've sadly also come to this conclusion over the last few weeks and it sucks as someone who has owned every single 2K since day 1 for almost 20 years now. 2K is clearly more concerned with getting 8 year olds to throw their moms credit card at the screen during every 50% off VC sale so they can rip more packs in MyTeam or get their MyPlayer stats up to higher points that don't even effect gameplay in the end.

I've tried to stay away from online modes and play MyLeague, but the actual basketball gameplay this year is terrible as well, even on HOF difficulty, and it continues to get worse every patch.

Every year expectations of increased realism and sim get higher, but the actual gameplay gets worse.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #40
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k10Fonzarelli
For the last few iterations of NBA 2k i've felt like, codingwise, this game is a mess of archaic code held together by thin strands of modern day coding. Basicly a late game jenga tower which is probably going to fall on the next turn.
When you copy/paste the game every year and just write code on top of it, this is what happens.

A lot of stuff in 2k is super old game design and it shows. This game plays like a rushed product because it IS a rushed product.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »