Home

Reacting to The Neighborhood and What It Means for NBA 2K18

This is a discussion on Reacting to The Neighborhood and What It Means for NBA 2K18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Reacting to The Neighborhood and What It Means for NBA 2K18

I seem to be in the minority, but as a long time 2k fan (since the original 2k on Dreamcast), I don't really see what the big deal is here. It essentially just seems like they changed how we access certain modes visually and called it a brand new robust feature. Some of the new events they discussed were on Park After Dark last year and the rest just sounds like much of the same to me. I am intrigued by the idea of improving MyPlayer in more than just the traditional MyCareer mode, but other than that it seems to be just a visual upgrade on how we access certain things that were already in the game. I almost wish they just bring back "The Crib" from 2K5 lol.

Teams
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers - 2016 NBA Champions
NFL: Cleveland Browns
MLB: Cleveland Indians
NCAA BB: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cleveland St. Vikings
NCAA FB: Ohio State Buckeyes
Old 09-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeworld
People complain about having to buy VC but to be honest..... Enough VC can be had for free by either playing games, of couse or using the free app on a daily basis. I've always reached mid to high 90's without spending real cash for VC. It can be done, sure it does take time and you have to actually earn your way to 99 but its more refreshing, to me at least, when done this way.
Glad you brought the app up. In 14, you could earn 3k vc with 3 500vc cards and getting the x2. 17 it's dropped to a max of 1500 with 3 250vc cards and the x2.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I'm not a fan of having people buy themselves a rating -- if that's what they want, they can, and let them do it. But it should only apply to a certain point. Cost for attribute upgrades should get steeper the higher your overall.

I mean, right now I have a solid 85K of VC racked up in 2K17 that I have earned strictly as a MyLeague guy. I was nearly 100K in 2K16.

(The lack of rollover is understandable, but counter-intuitive: if this is "currency" how does it not rollover? But whatever, side-tangent.)

The prohibitive costs of using my VC to get my garbage 55 overall MyPlayer up to fringe rotation level guy (70-73 rating, IMO) wasn't worth it to me. I gave up on the mode early and didn't look back.

I feel like they should make attribute upgrades up to a certain overall cheap -- say, that 70-73 range -- and then spike it hard if you want to get higher. Frankly, we shouldn't be a 55 overall player or even a 60 overall, IMO -- I'd prefer the rating, at minimum, to be 65-67.

If people want to buy themselves to 80, 85, 90, 95, okay -- do it, but make that cost really high. I'd just like not to be garbage and not to be punished by high costs of VC to make my player not be garbage. Let me upgrade easily to 70-73 and then charge me big after that, and I'll be fine.
They had to make us 55's because our true max ovr's were mid 80's when we maxed our players out to 96. Hopefully this year with true 99's back, they could start us off back at 63's as they did before.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #20
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

I forgot all about the app lol free VC.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm not so worried about VC, what concerns me the most is loading times. After last Decembers update, 2K17 loading times became the worst of any game I have played, ever. And I'm 43.

I love all the content. I love the ambition and drive. But the execution of making it work properly, has not been 2K's strength.

Waiting 25+ minutes to load the game up, finally start a game only to then get "Update available, return to the main menu to get rid of this message" is unacceptable. Even more unacceptable was the way 2K reacted to complaints, they flat-out ignored them or tried to blame the user and their internet connection. Their support after asking for my internet speeds with an image from speedtest.net went silent, because it was clear it was not my internet.

It's wonderful to see the dev team so active and engaging the community NOW. But will that continue for the next 6 or 7 months? Because for the last 10 to 15 years, unless it's a comment or question that basically heaps praise, they've ignored it post launch.

I'm excited for 2K18, I have hope. But I'm also skeptical. 2K has made a lot of money from game sales and even more from selling VC. The back-end support throughout the games life needs to reflect that.

I've been let down by NBA 2K the last few years, I truly hope 2K18 is the game that lives up to and even surpasses the hype.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #22
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

I have no problem with VC. It's what keeps 2k innovating and improving massively from year to year. It can still be played without paying a dime so no problem with me.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #23
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

IM a offline only guy, and someone who cares only for Association mode. Ive never really been intrigue with online, but this run the neighborhood, honestly sounds kind of neat. Not sure I will even try it, likley not, but you know if I was much younger, I would probably enjoy it.
So I many not even give it a 2nd thought, but kudos to the dev team for putting some thought and imagination into something like this. Now if this took away from MyLeague and My GM, then Im not going to be al too happy, but from the sound of it, they have made huge strides there as well, so only time will tell if they were being truthful, but Im thinking NBA2k18, might be a special game, and the dev team over the past couple years have been getting closer and closer to more realistic gameplay, so Im extremely excited to get this game.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »