Home

Storyline of NBA 2k18

This is a discussion on Storyline of NBA 2k18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Storyline of NBA 2k18

There is no reason not to make it optional or at least let us skip the scenes we want to skip.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #26
MVP

DatIsraeliGuy's Arena

OVR: 0

To this day, 2k14 is my favorite MyCAREER ever. Jackson Ellis was a right c***, I actively hate him still today.

But I guess having terrible voice acting and NOT EVEN TELLING ME WHO'S THIS DAMN WOMAN IN MY HOUSE and a joke of a way to enter the NBA is fine.

At least ATM was fun for the 2 seconds he was there.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #27
Rookie

YannisLB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatIsraeliGuy
To this day, 2k14 is my favorite MyCAREER ever. Jackson Ellis was a right c***, I actively hate him still today.

But I guess having terrible voice acting and NOT EVEN TELLING ME WHO'S THIS DAMN WOMAN IN MY HOUSE and a joke of a way to enter the NBA is fine.

At least ATM was fun for the 2 seconds he was there.
Was about to say that.

I saw recently some videos about MC in 2K14 and even the 15. It was really good, with draft interview, kind of a draft combine game, then choices that will influe the rest of your career, possibility to recruit player on your team or even receive player from others teams to recruit you.
The immersion was so good

This is where 2K should take note for the next MC, we want this interaction back
Old 09-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #28
Rookie

BlackMambaTheDream's Arena

I'm so tired of these unskippable cut scenes...i don't like
being forced to sit through them. I don't like having a
preset story/background for MY career and i don't like
being called freq, prez or DJ.

I would trade all this stuff for expanded menu options like
for example training/development (long term, milestones,
something like that), customization, adjusting sliders and
difficulties (personally would like something like hardcore
mode where its crazy difficult to be effective, getting punished
for almost every small mistakes etc) instead of teammates
just starting to suck everytime you turn the difficulty up while
you consistently can perform well because the actual difficulty
doesn't change.

2K18 feels very good so far gameplay wise. It has so much
potential. Because of the Story/Cutscenes + VC to buy everything
now (In addition to the lack of gameplay customization),
this mode is pretty much ruined for me.

Last edited by BlackMambaTheDream; 09-09-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #29
Rookie

I can't believe the developers wrote this story and thought it was good.

The start is stupid. A failed DJ plays 3 street games and he has an nba try out? Are you jerking me? Give us back high school and college. At least that **** was semi realistic.

The voice acting is cheesy and lame. "First name D last name J". "ATM". All the dumb nick names.

The ugly orange is the new black looking random chick living with you. Like what the hell 2k.

NBA 2k15 was great. No **** nick name. No stupid back story. This is ****ing garbage. I'd rather read a twilight fan fiction.

The gameplay is unbelievably good. The story is hot steaming trash.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
It's a story in a basketball game. I don't and never will expect it to be anything other than a cliche to introduce you to the online game modes.

I remember being able to play basketball in GTA: San Andreas. It wasnt anything close to Live or 2K. GTA isn't a basketball game. It's the same thing to me.

Plus, theyve kinda hit every possible angle from a story perspective. They've done undrafted, rival, "hood story," and the next big thing with a partner. Outside of the European route I don't see where else they could go.

I don't see some Mass Effect level of branching points ever. That's not the purpose of MC. Which does sound odd considering its your "career". Not streetball.

Some people (like me) may enjoy the story but most of these guys (like my little brother) just want to jump online, cross people up like Iverson, shoot like Steph and dunk like Jordan. I remember him telling me once that he's literally seen your MC character put down and pick up that bag a million times in 2K17.
For me it's not about the story or the quality of the story.

It's about options.

-I want to pick my own nickname. If that means no voice acting that's really fine by me personally because yeah, I'm playing a basketball game and don't care to have a great story with it.

- I miss high-school and college, these were things that made my character feel real, that he actually had a journey to the NBA.

What would be cool is if they extended the high-school part of the game so that it lasted longer and made it more difficult (or reward you for playing on higher difficulty) and added more colleges (and extended that by a few games too) so that maybe if you play bad in HS you go to a lower tier college and then maybe if you don't perform well in college you get drafted in the 2nd round or not at all (or vice versa, you crush it, go to UNC, get picked top 3, etc etc)

Honestly I just want more options, I know that more options means less voice overs and scenes but honestly I'm fine with that personally.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #31
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco West
For me it's not about the story or the quality of the story.

It's about options.

-I want to pick my own nickname. If that means no voice acting that's really fine by me personally because yeah, I'm playing a basketball game and don't care to have a great story with it.

- I miss high-school and college, these were things that made my character feel real, that he actually had a journey to the NBA.

What would be cool is if they extended the high-school part of the game so that it lasted longer and made it more difficult (or reward you for playing on higher difficulty) and added more colleges (and extended that by a few games too) so that maybe if you play bad in HS you go to a lower tier college and then maybe if you don't perform well in college you get drafted in the 2nd round or not at all (or vice versa, you crush it, go to UNC, get picked top 3, etc etc)

Honestly I just want more options, I know that more options means less voice overs and scenes but honestly I'm fine with that personally.
I get that. There are people who want MyCareer to be their actual career and how they want it to play out. They want it to be as realistic as possible, I'm thinking like 2K10 (I think) that had the draft combine and stuff. 2K should probably just separate it and call the story mode whatever it may be like "Living Da Dream" or "Return of DJ" or whatever. And then have MyCareer and have it actually be your career with no story or VC. I too miss the college portion of MC. I played through the college portion with every team in 2K17. Like you said, more options is better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #32
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

OP, just because you like it, doesn’t mean everyone else has too.

If the majority feels the story is corny, not well put together and just downright whack, that is their opinion.

If you must know what I watch on Netflix that is infinitely better than ANY story 2K has ever put together, well, here’s a list..

Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
House Of Cards
Wentworth
Etc..

Just a few examples. We think the story sucks, you don’t. So what?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »