Home

VC in NBA 2K18: Have We Crossed a Line of Acceptability?

This is a discussion on VC in NBA 2K18: Have We Crossed a Line of Acceptability? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: VC in NBA 2K18: Have We Crossed a Line of Acceptability?

Hey people want to keep buying VC then let them. They're only increasing the prices of our shares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #58
Rookie

I actually don't mind 2K charging VC for everything. What pisses me are the items that are locked behind ratings caps. I mean, it makes sense that you can't buy certain animations until you reach a certain level (like advanced dribble moves for example). But locking shoes and clothes behind ratings is just evil.

2K is telling us that before you can pay us 4,000 VC for a Jordan shoe, you have to pay us more VC first to level up your player. That's the greedy part.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #59
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfrehley
It's really sad and shamefull that they managed out to launch an awesome game, with a lot of improvements over last years one, but this whole VC greedy crap is tooking the all the headlines.

People should stop buying stuff like this. As long as people are buying they have a reason to keep tunning it up year after year. This hurts our whole community simply because we can't enjoy the game the way is was supposed to be.

I'll just stick with playing MyLeague and hoping that this disrespectfull bs stops soon.
The thing is you aren't going to get people to stop buying. As long as it is offered people will buy for various reasons (easier to pay for VC than grind, they don't have the time to grind, paying money isn't an issue, etc).

In this situation the best option might be to voice our displeasure with the system. They'll never get rid of VC because it is far too profitable but they can certainly make adjustments if they feel their customers are upset about the feature. Maybe they can remove having to pay for some cosmetic things like haircuts and beards, or at least make them cheaper. Same goes for accessories. I can't imagine there are any NBA players that need to manage their money in order to pay for such things (do they even need to pay for accessories?).

2k could also adjust how VC is rewarded. With a modes like this there should be a grind. It wouldn't be much fun if it was quick and easy to upgrade your character to a high level or, in my team, if it was too easy to earn enough VC for packs. However there could be changes made for rewarding more VC for certain accomplishments and achievements that way there is more incentive to grind vs paying for upgrades.

2k might also make changes if they see a drop in the number of users playing such modes. With the new features added to this mode, namely the neighborhood, this should be the most popular the mode has ever been. But if 2k notices the number of players hasn't increased since last year, or even decreases, 2k might realize they took the VC too far and drove players away as a result.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 2

I believe of all the games I play 2k with VC crossed the line previously but major players (youtubers and Operation sports itself) convinced many it was a justified and acceptable practise.
It isn't and wasn't.

They have continued to push the boundaries and again we are contanstly told by "impartial" parties it's to keep the cost down and for those that don't want to grind.

its never been about either.

Its greed and exploiting the young.

The gaming industry is only damaging itself by doing this.

The backlash is coming.

Shame that major modes I want to play in several games I have to avo
Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #61
Rookie

yeah this game has been scamming people out of VC so hard. They got rid of difficulty multiplier, you get less for each game you play now, some people have said VC has been taken away from them, and the game is unplayable without it. You get like 800 VC per game and that's pretty much how much it costs to buy a headband. Imagine your whole salary being spent on a headband or shoes. So stupid. And the endorsement contracts give you like 25 VC. There's not one thing I can buy for 25 vc. It cost me 80000 VC to get my guy to even a 75 overall

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4thQ
the last 2 releases of NBA 2K have sold over 8 and 8.5 million copies they get their money back in dev costs. look at Rise of the Tomb Raider that sold 800,000 copies on the XBox One when it had that year long exclusivity money hat deal and that had a 2-3 year dev cycle.
2K has to pay the NBA a ton of money and a % of the proceeds, plus the players association and retired players association, the player partners, cover athlete etc. On top of that the first party (microsoft/etc) make a ton of it. And the team is huge as are the yearly dev costs.

They're making profits but not outrageous profits.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingzero
I actually don't mind 2K charging VC for everything. What pisses me are the items that are locked behind ratings caps
How is that any different than any other RPG?
Old 09-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #64
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
VC is actually beneficial because it keeps the cost of a game at $60"

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »