Home

2K18: Too much Placebo among Core Fixes...

This is a discussion on 2K18: Too much Placebo among Core Fixes... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
2K18: Too much Placebo among Core Fixes...

Obviously i'll never be the guy that'll claim the game hasn't improved and insist 2K18 is 2K17 version 2 or anything close to that....the devs did a great job this year in delivering us a classic title and 99% of what the motion system and many of the other additions do is GREAT. They redesigned the shot meter to be as intuitive as possible and from an eyeball test its beautiful. I mean....

THE. GAME. JUST. FLOWS. LIKE. BASKETBALL.

Still, there's simply too much placebo among the core issues that've plagued gameplay for too long. We heard claims that steal spam was addressed, people with low block ratings would be punished and phrases like “defenders would be able to help what they can see.” yet its another year that the ball flies downcourt right at defenders because savvy users know they never have to worry about them reacting....and when they do? Missed steals are routine. The word incompetent comes to mind.

It's another year where claims are made about ratings mattering only to see Dion Waters, McCollum, Evan Turner and Solomon Hill (all 51 block rating) block bigs with zero consequences. As evidenced by the horrible timing on Nurkic's attempted block, the invisible force field that prevents bad block timing from resulting in contact, but that disappears when block timing is good--is still in 2K18.

Another year where that infamous force field prevents guys from crashing into shooters too.

Another year where promises are made about steals and guys can still spam steal and swipe the rock when we're in protect ball stance AND actually using our offense makes us a sitting duck. Don't create playbooks and tell us to call plays and then allow mechanics that make us vulnerable to cheese. Its past time for a heavier hand here, PERIOD.

Another year where block timing doesn't matter...and the invisible force field prevents defenders who leave their feet from contact fouls. And when they do come crashing down on dribblers its not a big deal....it is a turnover tho.

What SHOULD happen when block timing is bad:

And while I commend the anti-cheese work done re: Inbounds. We continue to see bigs (and players in general) hang around after scores/rebounds and poke at the ball, ride guards in the backcourt and make blatant contact trying for steals....and never a foul is called. Could there be a better time for blocking fouls? I doubt it. Its jarring because this very thing results in a quick whistle in the NBA--but in 2K there's actually a higher chance for a steal. I'm just spit-balling here, but it MIGHT be time for a heavier hand......

Another year where non-shooters are wet from distance...only this time they're aided because our defenders play off..giving them a better chance to hit. #whodrewupthatplay

In closing here's a game I had against one of the cheesiest players i've ever seen. He does everything from spam the long pass to zig/zag to turboing into your players to create turnovers. He's rarely punished by gameplay--and bad things certainly don't happen enough for him to alter his behavior. See for yourself:

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-25-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: 2K18: Too much Placebo among Core Improvments...

I honestly feel like this game is a step back from 2K17. A heartless money grab if you ask me.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

Great video evidence. Every year we are promised stealing nerfs. The amount of "falling into clean blocks" is infuriating. Then theres the lead passing literally through my body or a off ball steal animation moving me all the way out the play when I am already perfectly in line with the ball. Beware though, the excuse brigade is coming...
Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldzy
I honestly feel like this game is a step back from 2K17. A heartless money grab if you ask me.
Yikes. Can't agree with you there...its leaps and bounds better than 2K17. LIGHT YEARS BETTER. But it can be better than it is....especially if they deal with the nonsense with a HEAVY HAND once and for all. IMO they've been subtle and hinted at changes long enough.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-25-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: 2K18: Too much Placebo among Core Fixes...

No excuse brigade necessary...there never is in a Kush thread.

He's not on the forums to hunt for issues to cosign.

He plays to enjoy the game, and when he does have an issue, he speaks on it in a constructive manner without hyperbole...and usually with evidence.

Good post Kush.

I like that they made it more dangerous to go for those chase downs and late blocks from behind in general, but there definitely needs to be a harsher penalty for unwise blocks attempts....especially in the post.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 09-25-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
No excuse brigade necessary...there never is in a Kush thread.

He's not on the forums to hunt for issues to cosign.

He plays to enjoy the game, and when he does have an issue, he speaks on it in a constructive manner without hyperbole...and usually with evidence.

Good post Kush.

I like that they made it more dangerous to go for those chase downs and late blocks from behind in general, but there definitely needs to be a harsher penalty for unwise blocks attempts....especially in the post.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
"You know why i'm here..." 😂😂😂
Old 09-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Jeez, Kush, Could you be bothered to write an article on how to write a "complaint" thread? It sucks that they used a lot of cover ups to hide some legacy issues. Here's hoping they can improve for next year and we can start eliminating the legacy problems.

This new motion system is excellent, but lead to a lot of new issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 09-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
Jeez, Kush, Could you be bothered to write an article on how to write a "complaint" thread? It sucks that they used a lot of cover ups to hide some legacy issues. Here's hoping they can improve for next year and we can start eliminating the legacy problems.

This new motion system is excellent, but lead to a lot of new issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
IMO instead highlight the issues you think are worthy of addressing. Really important to consider the game as a whole rather than your specific experiences tho. I'm not a big fan of the shot-stick...but tons of people are. It brings an element of skill to shooting so it could be better for the game as whole.

I also think its important to take things out of the game that are the opposite of what happen in the NBA....authenticity is important. To me that isn't complaining...its being an asset to the community.

And for sure, they'll improve. Its our job to push them in the right direction sometimes tho.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »