Home

CPU AI defensive settings

This is a discussion on CPU AI defensive settings within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
Rookie

33JAF's Arena

OVR: 0
CPU AI defensive settings

Whatever numbers the CPU uses to determine specific defensive settings needs some tuning.

For example, the CPU determines it's off ball pressure setting according to 3 point rating. Higher 3 pt rating means deny ball or play tight, lower 3pt rating would mean gap or leave him. There may be other factors involved, too.

The problem with this is that the minimum rating for a player to be played tight or deny ball is too high.

I noticed every game I played vs the CPU, Jabari Parker was always left wide open in the corner. Jabari has 83 open shot three. Even after hitting 3 or 4 corner 3s, his defender would still sag all the way into the paint. This was on Hall of Fame vs GS, so Draymond was defending him, ace at max.

Just for the sake of testing and trying to figure some things out, I changed all of Jabaris 3 pt ratings to 99 and started a game. Sure enough, Draymond was denying him the ball no matter where he went. So it's definitely tied to 3pt ratings.

I think it could be a really easy fix. Let's just say for example, the CPU will play tight off ball for anyone with a 3pt rating over 90. That's too high. Too many decent 3 pt shooters are being left open. I would say anyone over 70 should never just be left all alone.

Tuning this could solve a lot of the defensive issues, or better yet, let us edit the CPU defensive settings each game to fix it ourselves.

I am absolutely loving the game so far. Major props to the gameplay devs. This is honestly my only major concern and it seems like it could easily be tuned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #2
Rookie

33JAF's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CPU AI defensive settings

After testing this out some more I think it's only happening with Jabari or similar players to him. I've only used the Bucks so I thought it was a bigger problem than it is. Other 4s with decent 3 point shots are being guarded just fine in the corner. I'm thinking it's factoring in his ability to get to the rim.

Mods you can delete this. Not as big of an issue as I originally thought.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by 33JAF; 09-26-2017 at 12:59 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »