Home

The failures of the current XP system.

This is a discussion on The failures of the current XP system. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: The failures of the current XP system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
Exactly, wait until you max out all your badges and you see that xp amount fall through the floor.

To have a rep system that strongly suggests you choose some in-game actions over others is incongruous with the whole archetypes strengths/weaknesses setup.

I've maxed out majority of my badges and still get a ton of XP. My difficult shots badge was maxed out weeks ago and I still get XP for hitting difficult shots. Same thing that goes for Pick & Roll Maestro, Tireless Scorer etc. Easy way to rep up.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
Rookie

I get the same XP and most of my badges are maxed out. I think the point is to discourage spamming and encourage efficiency.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
Pro

DevSwerve's Arena

after you hit 91 it only takes one bar to get to the next overall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by temo4three
I get the same XP and most of my badges are maxed out. I think the point is to discourage spamming and encourage efficiency.
It actually does the opposite; acrobatic layups and floaters are so heavily weighted in terms of XP over every other action in the game, that it's really a no-brainer to spam these. I can spam these for 12 min qtrs and get 45-60k, or I can play the game normally using the full set of my archetype strengths and end up with 25-35k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSwerve
after you hit 91 it only takes one bar to get to the next overall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahhh ok, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware this would be the case.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #13
Rookie

AshamanCarnage's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
It actually does the opposite; acrobatic layups and floaters are so heavily weighted in terms of XP over every other action in the game, that it's really a no-brainer to spam these. I can spam these for 12 min qtrs and get 45-60k, or I can play the game normally using the full set of my archetype strengths and end up with 25-35k.

Ahhh ok, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware this would be the case.
I think this statement might be a larger part of the problem when talking about this grinding situation. I want to reach 99, couple friends and I decided when we got the game on pre-order we want to try and reach the highest level possible but...I still play MyCareer games like normal basketball games. The xp will come, I'm 30% away from 90 already, and while I work toward badges, I don't just repeat the same thing over and over.

No one is dictating the way people play, so when I hear them say it's a boring game and all they do is spam one move all game trying to get a badge, well no duh it's boring. The grind is long because it is supposed to be, they want you to struggle to reach it. If you could make multiple builds and reach 99 on all of them, then it wouldn't be very special would it?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshamanCarnage
I think this statement might be a larger part of the problem when talking about this grinding situation. I want to reach 99, couple friends and I decided when we got the game on pre-order we want to try and reach the highest level possible but...I still play MyCareer games like normal basketball games. The xp will come, I'm 30% away from 90 already, and while I work toward badges, I don't just repeat the same thing over and over.

No one is dictating the way people play, so when I hear them say it's a boring game and all they do is spam one move all game trying to get a badge, well no duh it's boring. The grind is long because it is supposed to be, they want you to struggle to reach it. If you could make multiple builds and reach 99 on all of them, then it wouldn't be very special would it?
I play my career games that way too, but I will throw in extra acrobatic layups than I would normally, say for example if I was on a fast break in the clear, instead of a self alley or flashy dunk I'll throw up an acrolayup or floater instead.

We've all chosen archetypes with set strengths and weaknesses, and yet the game rewards spamming the same action repeatedly over playing basketball. Maybe higher xp should be linked to our archetype weaknesses if they were going down a sliding scale of XP?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #15
Rookie

AshamanCarnage's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
I play my career games that way too, but I will throw in extra acrobatic layups than I would normally, say for example if I was on a fast break in the clear, instead of a self alley or flashy dunk I'll throw up an acrolayup or floater instead.

We've all chosen archetypes with set strengths and weaknesses, and yet the game rewards spamming the same action repeatedly over playing basketball. Maybe higher xp should be linked to our archetype weaknesses if they were going down a sliding scale of XP?
The game allows you to choose an archetype you enjoying playing with and encourages you to play in that style. We (majority of players not all)simply look for the quickest and easiest way to level up badges and get xp. The game doesn encourage you to do one over the other, no where does 2K recommend doing nothing but euro-steps all game, that is just what the 2K community has started doing.

The game is designed for you to unlock your badges and levels over the course of your career using that archetypes strengths, the 2K community decided they wanted all their badges maxed before the all-star break which of course is going to make the game repetitive.

Last edited by AshamanCarnage; 10-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshamanCarnage
The game allows you to choose an archetype you enjoying playing with and encourages you to play in that style. We (majority of players not all)simply look for the quickest and easiest way to level up badges and get xp. The game doesn encourage you to do one over the other, no where does 2K recommend doing nothing but euro-steps all game, that is just what the 2K community has started doing.

The game is designed for you to unlock your badges and levels over the course of your career using that archetypes strengths, the 2K community decided they wanted all their badges maxed before the all-star break which of course is going to make the game repetitive.
That's fair, but when the game was promoted as the road to 99, and 2k hides previously available items behind their rep system (such as x2 vc HoF multiplier) then I think it's fair to point out the flaws in this approach and question the thinking behind it to begin with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »