Home

Height seems to be more important than Skill for rebounding?

This is a discussion on Height seems to be more important than Skill for rebounding? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
Rookie

Qrashman's Arena

OVR: 4
Height seems to be more important than Skill for rebounding?

I'm the Nets. I drafted this ridiculous center 1st overall, Dwayne Phillips. His "ceiling" was Hakeem Olajuwon. He's 7 foot 1 inch and is pretty much an A+ in everything. Seriously. Everything.

After 2 seasons his averages are 19-11-5. But thats not the point.

I sim most games, play 1 game out of every 10 and then half the playoff games. Every single game I've played, Phillips has 20+ rebounds. Multiple games he's had 30. Plays around 33-34 minutes.

I have Draymond Green at PF and he's lucky to get 3 rebounds when I play a game out. Jarrett Allen is my backup center and he always get 8 or 9 rebounds in 18-20 minutes, too.

This is on Switch, not sure if it matters. Just seems to me that height is the only factor in rebounding.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
Rookie

LetBaalPlead's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Height seems to be more important than Skill for rebounding?

Yea, played as the Bulls against the Raptors for the opening game. Jonas had almost 20 rebs. 10 Min qrts. Raptors had like 18 offensive rebounds too.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Pro

Vroman's Arena

Height + Wingspan is most important for years already . And not just for rebounding, but shot blocking/contesting too.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8

Been having gripes with the rebounding system for years now. You really notice the specific issues when you play player lock modes.

Yeah height and wingspan are a little overvalued when it comes to AI rebounding, but I think it's just because the CPU doesn't put a lot of effort into rebounding. They're just not good at prioritizing getting good position so when the ball goes up, whoever is longer gets the board.

On the user rebounding side boxing out doesn't play a big enough factor in keeping the guy that is getting boxed out from jumping. Even when you are perfectly boxing out your man, if he jumps and you don't most likely he's getting the board. Over the back fouls aren't called as much as they should be.

With that being said, user rebounding is really more about wingspan and vertical. Your player has to be able to out jump your opponent to secure contested boards. Because of these requirements athletic SFs and even PGs can grab boards over bigmen in player lock modes. You can't realistically time boards because of this. If you wait to read where the ball is going after it bounces off the rim you will most likely lose the rebounding battle. That's why everyone jumps a little before the ball even hits rim. Totally takes actual rebounding technique out of the equation so it just becomes press Y and pray for a good animation.

Last year I made a 7'1 bigman and he was just getting killed on the boards. He was too slow to the ball when it was in the air and he got no lift for contested rebounds. So I thought about it and made a 6'11 C same style and he was so much better. I think it's because the latter player had a 10+ higher vertical rating.

I would love to see the boxouts matter much more in the future. Guys like Love, Drummond, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Charles Oakley, Tim Duncan, and Dennis Rodman rebound(ed) with any sized big because of boxouts and timing. Not 40 inch verticals.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Rookie

Qrashman's Arena

OVR: 4

Good to see it's not just me. I was expecting a bunch of "you're crazy" posts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrashman
I'm the Nets. I drafted this ridiculous center 1st overall, Dwayne Phillips. His "ceiling" was Hakeem Olajuwon. He's 7 foot 1 inch and is pretty much an A+ in everything. Seriously. Everything.

After 2 seasons his averages are 19-11-5. But thats not the point.

I sim most games, play 1 game out of every 10 and then half the playoff games. Every single game I've played, Phillips has 20+ rebounds. Multiple games he's had 30. Plays around 33-34 minutes.

I have Draymond Green at PF and he's lucky to get 3 rebounds when I play a game out. Jarrett Allen is my backup center and he always get 8 or 9 rebounds in 18-20 minutes, too.

This is on Switch, not sure if it matters. Just seems to me that height is the only factor in rebounding.
I get triple doubles almost every game with LeBron or Draymond. Every game I play one of my bigs gets at least 18 rebounds but I've always been good at rebounding. The AI does the same thing. High rebounding numbers.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17

This has always been the case since I first played a 2K basketball game (2K8). I've accepted that they can't figure out how to translate rebounding skills into gameplay. Height and vertical has always been the ingredients to be a rebounding god in 2K.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Rookie

33JAF's Arena

Ball/rim physics contribute to this as well. There aren't enough long rebounds.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »