Home

Is there any offensive scheme/freelance that simulates Denver Nuggets?

This is a discussion on Is there any offensive scheme/freelance that simulates Denver Nuggets? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Is there any offensive scheme/freelance that simulates Denver Nuggets?

I'm having trouble initiating my offense through Nikola Jokic. Specifically dribble handoffs and cuts - they just don't happen the way I want them to. The only way I've been able to kind of do it is by running Handoff plays over and over but even then my players rarely ever dive the paint hard enough. If I call a handoff for Jamal Murray he will just sit at the 3 point line if I don't hand it off to him.. instead of cutting like he would normally do in real life. The other problem is if they are designed for somebody other than the 5 to do initiate the handoff then Jokic won't even be a part of the play, which many of them are like that.

Here's a good example of how I'd like to see players on my team cut:
https://youtu.be/7ap2cffD9bo?t=21

And here's just a standard offensive set for Denver. Jamal passes ball to top of key, Jokic fakes a hand off and Jamal dives hard. Nothing is available, Jokic initiates a dribble handoff with Gary forcing defense to collapse and Faried smartly rotates under the basket for an easy layup. In 2k I'll often see somebody like Faried just camp outside the paint with no off-ball movement at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pts7kDQZCIk

Denver is arguably the best offensive team in the NBA and they don't have a dedicated freelance system. The game defaults to running 3 out 2 in or pace. What gives?

I'm far from a 2k guru so if you know of a way to get Denver to play like Denver please tell me, but I haven't been able to do it =(
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Is there any offensive scheme/freelance that simulates Denver Nuggets?

Wouldn't it be 4 out 1 in?....
Old 10-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
MVP

cam21224's Arena

OVR: 12

If you play offline I highly suggest Van' s Playbooks.

If you play online, possibly 4-1 like jeebs stated above.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

I haven't really dove into freelance yet so can't help you there, but as far as plays or plays that work go for a Jokic type look at these plays below for Elbow's or DHO's... I am actually redoing the Nuggets as we speak with a few minor adjustments, but I do have their rough draft playbook up and Jokic is a legit passing threat with the CPU...

Passing Bigs / Elbow Plays
Spoiler
Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam21224
If you play offline I highly suggest Van' s Playbooks.

If you play online, possibly 4-1 like jeebs stated above.
I play offline only. I'll try out 4-1 in a bit but doesn't that focus more on a low post threat? Which jokic can do but a lot of the times he's at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDCetUuSzSs

Strictly speaking this is more or less what Denver is running, with some tweaks to it to make use of Jokic's passing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I haven't really dove into freelance yet so can't help you there, but as far as plays or plays that work go for a Jokic type look at these plays below for Elbow's or DHO's... I am actually redoing the Nuggets as we speak with a few minor adjustments, but I do have their rough draft playbook up and Jokic is a legit passing threat with the CPU...

Passing Bigs / Elbow Plays
Spoiler
Thanks!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
MVP

cam21224's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamAgain
I play offline only. I'll try out 4-1 in a bit but doesn't that focus more on a low post threat? Which jokic can do but a lot of the times he's at the top.

Strictly speaking this is more or less what Denver is running, with some tweaks to it to make use of Jokic's passing.
Yeah you'll definitely want to use Vans books it opens up the game a lot and you'll get to make use of Jokic's passing
Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamAgain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDCetUuSzSs

I have that DVD and we ran that with our college team last year as a base... I would like to see this as a freelance if not in though (again have not messed with freelance)... I have not seen them run this action though.

Here is some early notes I have on them (small sample size) and things I saw from early pre season games and 1 regular season game was some T-series stuff, tons of DHO's with Jokic up at the top of key, Flex action, 4 out 1 in, some High/Low looks, Jokic in straight iso punch plays with no Laker Cuts or off ball interchanges majority of time, Punch Strong 15, Elbow PNPops (4 Out Spread -PNR Mid), Horns Elbow action with pin downs & flex action options on weak side, basic spread PNR's, 15 Out PNFade 3pt play, Weave into PNR, 43 Double - Mid Range Play, etc...

They also run a lot of early offense and DHO's in their secondary break which I don't think we can replicate in 2k, but they also run a lot of trail ball screens early which you can... 2k I believe has their run play slider at 50 so bumping that up and adding a lot of the actions through plays you can get it as close as your going to get but it has to be manipulated through plays...

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 10-19-2017 at 04:22 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »