Home

Three Things NBA 2K18 Can Do to Close Out the Season Strong

This is a discussion on Three Things NBA 2K18 Can Do to Close Out the Season Strong within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Three Things NBA 2K18 Can Do to Close Out the Season Strong

Now in the month of December, NBA 2K18 has had time to try and figure out...

Written By: Joel Smith

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Three Things NBA 2K18 Can Do to Close Out the Season Strong

I think 2Ks competitive online play will always be an issue until they standardise players. As it says in the article, you simply can't win if you are up against higher rated players and that is strictly a measure of time/money spent and not basketball skill/knowledge. Heck, its not even a measure of game skill.

Let players pick an archetype, and give them a appropriately rated player. Pretty much every online game does this nowadays and other than MMOs (like WoW) I can't really think of a case where this isn't true.

Imagine being able to survive more bullets in a game like Overwatch or CSGO just because you dropped some money on in-game currency or just played 10 hours a day.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
I think 2Ks competitive online play will always be an issue until they standardise players. As it says in the article, you simply can't win if you are up against higher rated players and that is strictly a measure of time/money spent and not basketball skill/knowledge. Heck, its not even a measure of game skill.

Let players pick an archetype, and give them a appropriately rated player. Pretty much every online game does this nowadays and other than MMOs (like WoW) I can't really think of a case where this isn't true.

Imagine being able to survive more bullets in a game like Overwatch or CSGO just because you dropped some money on in-game currency or just played 10 hours a day.
I agree with everything. Not to be overly picky with this statement, but you CAN win against higher rated players---it's just that you simply aren't on an even field (According to the game), and if you're playing against others who are of a similar IQ level to yourself, then yes, their chances of winning are a bit higher just because they maybe spent more money and/or time. And in a true competitive mode, that shouldn't happen. But your larger point is spot on and I agree.

In regards to what was written here though...

-Matchmaking is so necessary. The park's idea is ok in regards to meeting new people and being able to see who's on the court...but I think you can pull this off in matchmaking as well. It also maybe lets people decide what tier of teammates they're willing to play with so that some poor 70 rated guy who might actually be really good, gets shafted because some people don't want to deal with him/her when they see that player approaching a spot.

-I don't really have a big issue with getting to 99 being an insane grind. My only issue is how much VC it takes to get to an 85. With the way things are this year, each character having its individual grind, it would have made sense to start people at an 85 and then continue the grind from there. That's quite enough for just ONE player. But we know why that's not happening.

Last edited by ph33; 12-19-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
Rookie

ToughJuice's Arena

" ....or giving up on the mode entirely." <--- This.
Theyre not going to fix anything about Mycareer. Its selling great and 2k is making money.*
Thw whole situation has soured me 2k and itll be years before I buy again.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Rookie

Bringbackourgame's Arena

I respectfully disagree with the online play. I just yesterday went 11-2 with one guy that was a 75 another who was an 83 and I was the high overall as an 89. That game is all about unselfishness and sadly there are just too many players out there who don't know real basketball and just want to play hero ball. I do think that 2K puts a little too much emphasis on the player types but even then if you just tailor your game too your skill set you can be highly competitive**
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Banned

I remember in 2k16 when they made it free in the PSN store around Christmas time, they definitely balanced out the park then. Those brownshirts with no game experience were just charging at the rim and making contested everything at unrealistic levels.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Pro

blk5tar5's Arena

I would have to disagree with Yesh2K about NBA2K16 being free at Christmas time because it was free in June 2016.*

please click the link below to see what was free on psn 2016
https://youtu.be/3pgXucRuXIE

Regarding the article above yes some changes need to be made but the real question is will 2K the company is willing to improve on it's product or give the time necessary for 2K devs to truly fix the issues so the game is not RUSH before release date! Only TIME will tell when 2K19 comes out?
Old 12-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
Rookie

Regarding the "Balance out the Park" part of the article...

I agree with what's been said on here many many times in that the quality of players online is not the best. Whether it be IQ, general skill, or whatever...playing with randoms is not the best route online. It's a beautiful thing when it's going great - clicking with 2 random people and playing like a team. However, that happens very rarely for me. Playing with friends is the best way to go if you care about the W that much. Personally, I'll play with anybody - I just want to get as many games in as I can.

I doubt they can implement it this year but maybe they could do rated courts where only 60-79 OVR can get on, 80-89 and 90+. They could also do a few open courts that are open to all overalls. I find that higher rated don't want to play with lower rated players and lower rated players are intimidated by higher overalls. It's a lot of musical chairs in the got next spot which isn't fair - we're all just trying to play and have fun. Having the rated courts would even out the competition a bit.

Just a thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »