Home

A 2k game for MY Career/Pro Am game for Sim/Elite Pro Am players/Professional Players

This is a discussion on A 2k game for MY Career/Pro Am game for Sim/Elite Pro Am players/Professional Players within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
A 2k game for MY Career/Pro Am game for Sim/Elite Pro Am players/Professional Players

How to get a 2k game for MY Career/Pro Am game for Sim/Elite Pro Am players/Professional Players?

There's always the same idea/thoughts brought to the table when these threads are started. good, bad, and some where in between. What we end up hearing is "it's a business". Which it is. And we always end with their are more casual gamers than their are Sim/Pro level players. Therefore, from a business standpoint it makes no business/financial sense to create a game for the super elite few and alienate the casuals which could easily turn into lost sales/revenue.

That is 100% accurate. But we also know their are people within 2k that would love to create a true sim game or something very close to it for Pro level players. or at minimum above casual level comp. So you have these people trying to make things more sim like on the back end vs on the front end.

The one thing I have noticed with 2ks is that from the ground up its built toward the casual gamer. Then tweaked toward the sim player. In that order.

I'll give you an example of why I dont believe this method works best for both parties. It does work well for one party being the casuals:

You create a game with force field around the court to keep you from running out of bounds all the time. But this also promotes casual gamer or any gamers to do unrealistic things, like force it baseline when their is clearly no room to run along the baseline. But due to the force field, they are not actually counted as Out of bounds. So they keep doing it. and you watch their feet run in place like an old cartoon while they tight rope the line aka force field.

A casual player needs that force field. The game would be too difficult without it. so I agree there.

A sim/pro/elite level player does not need this. That type of player will practice and do what it takes to learn how to stay within the boundaries(laying off the sprint button in time, really being smart with their driving angles, etc.)

But remember the game was originally at its foundation was built with a force field.

Sure you can slightly take it off and see what happens. but that would've been done without any testing. Which could result into all sorts of weird behavior. we could run into the stands and get stuck. Thats the problem with having one mode for casuals and one for sim where it would be shut off.
They never tested for these weird occurrences since the original game at its foundation was created for the casual with a force field. it was only tested with said force field.

What should happen is the game should be created without any force field. tested as such. THEN, allow the force field to be turned on. What we know is this. The force field will keep guys from going out of bounds all the time. so there's no need for extra testing. its been tested for decades.

This is a simple straight forward example of changing the way you build the game from it's foundation based on Sim/reality vs casual.

To make the game for casuals all you need to do is change the sliders to make it easier for a casual to hit 3's, make more layups, make more dunks, more fun blocks, more steals without getting into serious foul trouble, not loose a lot of stamina even when laying on the sprint button, etc.

You turn down the realism with ease. because you've created the game for realism to begin with.

The game has animations in it that never belong there due to those animations only being for casual gamers. You can add those in after and have those linked to a casual game play mode or casual sliders. once the sliders hit a certain low point, the cartoon like animations will be unlocked.

vs trying to start from cartoon animations and trying to tone them down via sliders.

proof of this being an issue with that 2k combine. I've said this before. they had to completely denounce the pure playmaker. Why? because that archetype is completely Overpowered when it comes to ball handling. thats because it allows you to dribble thru your defender's body often. This is something 2k knew about when the game was released. this was not something missed in testing. They left that archetype like that because of the casual gamers. they like to dribble a lot and do fancy dribbles but not lose the ball in the process. So what happened when it was time to put that archetype into the more realistic/more sim like game mode called the combine? They had to kill the archetype completely. Thats because there was no sliders they could use to bring that archetype back down to a realistic point.

This proves my point. You first start from a realism standpoint then allow the sliders and on/off switches to later make it Easier for the casuals to play the game. You make that pure Playmaker have elite handle animations. You give this playmaker the ability to be quicker with the ball. But if a good defender is standing right where you're trying to cross over. you will lose the ball. i didnt say have it stolen necessarily, i said lose it. Now you can turn down the sliders to make it so the ball can now clip thru the defender for casuals if thats what you want for the casuals to have fun.

this method of sim/realism first THEN casuals is the only way they could ever satisfy both audiences. still reaching their profit targets while also leaving both sides happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
Pro

Re: A 2k game for MY Career/Pro Am game for Sim/Elite Pro Am players/Professional Pla

In addition. I think then you could take the 2k Elite players, put them on teams of 10. 5 v 5. where each has their own player to control aka TEAM UP. and pay these elite guys to play like the real life versions of the guy they are assigned to.

See its one thing to have 2k hire guys to come in and mimic real nba player moves. They already do this to capture animations. since they can't afford or get every ...single...nba guy into 2k studios to mocap everything.

They should take this same approach on the sticks like i said above. This way, when guys that love playing Play Now 5 v 5 at a sim /high level. They will get cpu defenders/offensive players playing like their true to life counterparts utilizing both tendencies/attributes programmed into 2k but also utilizing tendencies recorded from actual stick movements based on scenarios from real life users.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
MVP

Re: A 2k game for MY Career/Pro Am game for Sim/Elite Pro Am players/Professional Pla

it's funny that you associate elite level pro am players with sim basketball lol u ever watch a game before?

Last edited by Foldzy; 03-19-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldzy
it's funny that you associate elite level pro am players with sim basketball lol u ever watch a game before?
lol good point good point. yes. i've played against some and yes its a cheese fest. or exploit fest. thats all due to the fact the game from its foundation is built for casuals and then tweaked for Sim. The casual part is what gets exposed or Exploited aka cheese. And I'm not saying the current crop of pro am top guys are pros. I'm talking about would be pros if the game was very realistic. and people out their that would love to play such a game thats currently playing 2k right now dealing with the exploit fest or running thru casuals with ease.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »