Home

Changing VC's function in MyCareer

This is a discussion on Changing VC's function in MyCareer within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
Rookie

Rhouston's Arena

OVR: 3
Changing VC's function in MyCareer

As much as I (as well as many others) hate VC, I understand why 2K implements it -- they know they have a base of diehards who are going to buy it to improve/customize their player instead of grinding out games. As flawed and greedy as this logic is, unfortunately, this is the truth -- virtual currency is here to stay.

With that being said, I think the main issue with VC was HOW it was implemented. It is absolutely ridiculous that you have to spend so much VC just to change your look (haircuts, outfits, etc.) and improve your player's attributes. So instead, for 2k to "save face," as well as make the MyCareer more like an actual simulation of being a professional basketball player, I propose the following changes to be made to how VC is used:

1) 1 VC essentially has the equivalency of $1 in the real world. If your player's contract is for $2 million a year, you get 2 million VC. While you will still be able to buy VC with real money, you can also still earn it other ways, such as wagering at the Park, opening up a basketball camp (which can improve your recognition, yet having a slight negative effect on other attributes like stamina) and obtaining sponsorships.

2) You have to buy a house (with a mortgage that auto-deducts VC every month), similar to NFL 2k5's My Crib. There are different levels of houses you can buy and in different parts of the city (Downtown condo, outskirts, suburbs, secluded), with more expensive houses improving your attributes like poise, recovery, etc. quicker, and each area having pros and cons that affect your player's development.

3) You improve your other attributes by in-game performance (like in this year's version of The Show) and purchasing goods and services (such hiring a personal trainer, buying different kinds of workout equipment). Again, these all have different levels, with the more luxurious items costing more but having quicker effects, very similar to how purchasing goods in The Sims works.

4) Other goods and services have real world value. So while you would still have to buy haircuts, clothes, etc., they would not suck up nearly as much VC as they did in past editions.

Is 2K going to change from their current model to this model anytime soon, if ever? Probably not. Still, this is not re-inventing the wheel -- I don't think it isn't feasible for the team to implement this system. These are all things that have been done before in other video games that could very easily improve the very stale and linear MyCareer experience.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »