Home

Archetype Progression

This is a discussion on Archetype Progression within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Archetype Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
Yay, we can water it down even further and up with all 70's ratings and have the time of our lives with an even further watered down 3 archetype system instead of 2. I started playing this game originally for career mode, and loved creating my favourite players in the game.

I don't get why people want limits on their video game players, it makes no sense to me. I want a superstar jack of all trades, and I want everyone else to have one too, and the best players will still be the best players, but those who's only skill in the game is pressing the shoot button a hundredth of a second more accurately than someone else will have to up their game. Kill HoF badges, and start making this game fun again.
I got tired of literally everyone shooting 75%. I like Archetypes. Now I don't agree with a third one, that's worthless in my opinion and everyone will having shooting in their build of some sort, which leads back to the too many shooters ****.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemthethriller
I got tired of literally everyone shooting 75%. I like Archetypes. Now I don't agree with a third one, that's worthless in my opinion and everyone will having shooting in their build of some sort, which leads back to the too many shooters ****.
Ok, so say everyone starts putting sharp in their builds. What if putting defense in your build actually mattered? If you went defense first, dunks, sharp and could play like kahwi, you wouldn't?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Ok, so say everyone starts putting sharp in their builds. What if putting defense in your build actually mattered? If you went defense first, dunks, sharp and could play like kahwi, you wouldn't?
That's not point they were making and you know it. Every build then becomes a combination of [Archetype]/Shooter/Defender. First and foremost, you shouldn't need defender in your archetype to be able to play decent defense. The idea with that archetype is that it's supposed to make you STIFLING. That being said, the idea of adding 3 archetypes means most every player is like I mentioned above because the average player puts too much emphasis on shooting, and will rely on having defense in their build as a crutch.

I see a lot of two ways complain about people scoring on them, or blowing by when they actually are playing TERRIBLE defense and relying on that archetype like Its a bailout. Same with shooters. A lot rely on that as an excuse to take terrible shots and then complain cause they have sharp in their build.

I for one like the current system. If people communicated at a level other than snide comments like: "You're trash" in games, you could switch match ups to be effective. Basketball is a game of match ups. It's why Kawhi, or Igoudala guard the other teamsmbest player from the 1-4. It's about learning how to be effective with what you have based on your defensive reads.

People will act like throwing a 3rd archetype on is creating parity and letting people be diverse. It's really a crutch to try to hide their own flaws by adding something else to cover that. Then will come the complaints when it doesn't work how they think it will because "LOL, 2k is trash. I got a defender and spam steal, How come they keep blowing by or I keep getting fouls". Let's stop giving people crutches, and let's start promoting basketball IQ. That will lead to better everything overall.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Operation Sports mobile app

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
Pro

hesko's Arena

OVR: 5

That serms cool. I could see how it could get sketchy, but it would be dope if your "archetype" was based on how YOU actually play the game rather than it being pre-determimed with limitations. If there was a way for those limitations to be determined the same way...say you're a poor defender, then maybe your om ball steal/defense rating caps at a certain point, but the kicker would be you getting better at playing defense amd upset that you can't upgrade the skill necause of the low max out. Suggestions anyone? I've been in mycarrer games where Steph playing defense like a young Gary Payton.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
Rookie

I'm more on the side of having a system that constantly fluctuates with your attributes. Even madden has a confidence overall. All I'm saying is if you have a bad game your attributes should reflect on that a little and who's to say you won't put on a great game next time and your attributes are back and better.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #14
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2win00
I'm more on the side of having a system that constantly fluctuates with your attributes. Even madden has a confidence overall. All I'm saying is if you have a bad game your attributes should reflect on that a little and who's to say you won't put on a great game next time and your attributes are back and better.
No thanks. I don't want 2k deciding that because i played a career game grinding for a specific badge and didn't shoot a shot that the next time i go online I'm 2 OVR less than i was yesterday. OR kids putting up 50 a quarter to get BOOSTED 2 OVR.

They already have hotspots that work online, this doesn't make sense to me. If i shoot better online and play more online I'd like my hotspots to reflect that. Maybe give me a boost in CAREER to help me MAINTAIN them. Because say i work on one spot then don't get shots in another I'll lose that. Plus, i can't hit a 3 ball to save my life in career VS pro am and that's WITHOUT hotspots.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
A third tier of archetypes would fix everything. You want a little bit of handles with a good shot? Sharp/sharp/pm

I like dunking and ball handling but i NEED a 70 3 ball. Slasher/pm/sharp

I don't know what people want, man.

I kinda agree with a 3rd tier arch. I want a Post/Def/Slasher
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Archetype Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
Yay, we can water it down even further and up with all 70's ratings and have the time of our lives with an even further watered down 3 archetype system instead of 2. I started playing this game originally for career mode, and loved creating my favourite players in the game.

I don't get why people want limits on their video game players, it makes no sense to me. I want a superstar jack of all trades, and I want everyone else to have one too, and the best players will still be the best players, but those who's only skill in the game is pressing the shoot button a hundredth of a second more accurately than someone else will have to up their game. Kill HoF badges, and start making this game fun again.

I think badges kill the game way worse than everyone being able to get 99 everything would. I don’t think badges should turn bad players good. It should help good players do a bit more.

Example is like HOF up and under. If you are trash at up and unders, you shouldn’t be any better at them just because you have the badge on HOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Housh123; 07-08-2018 at 11:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »