Home

How 2K is like Street Fighter V

This is a discussion on How 2K is like Street Fighter V within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: How 2K is like Street Fighter V

Vid is very relevant to the downside of the today's gaming culture. 2k is a business, and will continue to please the larger/more profitable audience of casuals. Because of this, it is questionable to me that a game for casuals, is being turned into an eSport.

The problem with 2k is it's lack of variety and its immature audience out number the mature. The casuals outnumber the diehards.

It doesnt make sense to me, as a former competitive H2H player old gen to now more than decent Park/Proam Record(above 70%/Win since 2k15) how 2k has followed the same flawed system the last few years which is this cycle.

1. Game is released. There is an existing learning curve which leads to casuals crying, upset, impatient to learn the game.

2. THEN after outcry from casuals 2k gives and caters to them.

3. THEN the diehard/above average players complain about the change as they have wasted money on MyPlayers.

4. Steps 2 & 3 get repeated back and forth during December-March.

5. Then when the competitive, above average players stop playing, they patch the game for the casuals. (i.e making shooter easier)

This is a bad system because the 2k18 is easy now and casuals get big heads/confidence and attempt the same in 2k19 only to find out how far their skill gap is. Then the cycle repeats. New builds are made to adjust to the change = more money in 2k pockets.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:26 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

The biggest difference is this:

The characters in SF5 are vastly different from eachother, but they’re fixed. That means that the developpers can account for everything and balance things out.

You step on with a character and wether or not you can use it to its full potential is totally up to you.

In 2k it’s different.
Trusting to good fortune (cuz at release they simply dont give all the info) you build a character on release.
Now, if you want to compete right away, you better pump money into it.
Then you better start grinding like a asocial Hermite to grind Some badges.
So it takes you hours and hours to be at a level where your character is well rounded enough to have a fightingchance with silver badges.

After a few weeks, the game has to balance out the die(try)hards with insane stacking badges, regulars with either good badges and low overals or Vice versa, and casuals

And y’all are wondering why they cant balance things out?

Disconnect myplayer from online play, have people play park/pro am where they can choose from 10-15 premade builds for each position with maxed out silver badges.
Have a screen where people can pick the lineup so lineups are atleast somewhat balanced.

You will quickly see a skill gap developing.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinevos
The biggest difference is this:

The characters in SF5 are vastly different from eachother, but they’re fixed. That means that the developpers can account for everything and balance things out.

You step on with a character and wether or not you can use it to its full potential is totally up to you.

In 2k it’s different.
Trusting to good fortune (cuz at release they simply dont give all the info) you build a character on release.
Now, if you want to compete right away, you better pump money into it.
Then you better start grinding like a asocial Hermite to grind Some badges.
So it takes you hours and hours to be at a level where your character is well rounded enough to have a fightingchance with silver badges.

After a few weeks, the game has to balance out the die(try)hards with insane stacking badges, regulars with either good badges and low overals or Vice versa, and casuals

And y’all are wondering why they cant balance things out?

Disconnect myplayer from online play, have people play park/pro am where they can choose from 10-15 premade builds for each position with maxed out silver badges.
Have a screen where people can pick the lineup so lineups are atleast somewhat balanced.

You will quickly see a skill gap developing.

Only problem with this is no one would play 2k if there were only 15 builds and Live was around

It’s not practical to turn my career into the 2k league

Then it’s not practical to have a 2k league mode because what would the rewards be? Would they transfer over into your myplayer? We all know they wouldn’t. 2k would make you pay VC to get your rewards in the 2kleague mode and nothing would cross over to my career so it’d be a waste of time

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
Only problem with this is no one would play 2k if there were only 15 builds and Live was around

It’s not practical to turn my career into the 2k league

Then it’s not practical to have a 2k league mode because what would the rewards be? Would they transfer over into your myplayer? We all know they wouldn’t. 2k would make you pay VC to get your rewards in the 2kleague mode and nothing would cross over to my career so it’d be a waste of time

Mycareer becomes a pure offline game mode. You can still create any build you like and grind your nuts out.

You just wouldnt be able to take him to pro-am/park and compete.
These game modes get a matchmaking queue and a picking phase where players compose lineups.
15-20 pre-made builds PER POSITION, with max silver badges.
You’d get vc for games that can be used in any game mode, a full blown ranking system that gets cosmetic perks (a shiny rank badge like current overall badges, nicer parks to play in, bigger crowds...) and the only progress to make is also cosmetic: clothes, shoes, accessoiries etc Skins, if you please.

Buy the game and compete online, out of the box. Plug and play.

Its the only way they will ever be remotely succesful as an esports.
You’ll never create a succesful competitive scene if players have to pump in money and spend weeks of grinding just to start competing. Facts.

And you cant properly balance online games either the current way.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Its just complete apples and oranges.

People aren't saying "How can a little girl like Sakura lift up a guy like Zangief"...because realistic fighting simulation isnt what the game is attempting to be. When you have a game that is attempting to be competitive while replicating a sport at the same time, it adds an entire different list of checks and balances to account for. Even now, you guys are talking about "OP builds" and what not...theres just no comparable aspect to that in Street Fighter or any other fighting game.

Side note: Vega and Ken just so happened to be my first two mains before Balrog dropped, lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Ken was always my main, and I thought SF4 did a great job with his skill set. I don’t think making a game more accessible is necessarily to its detriment. For example, MvC is a ****ing hard game because coordinating combos for super teams pretty much allowed you to dominate in nearly a cheesy way (Magneto, Storm, Psylock/Cable) were a killer ****ing squad. It was like choosing the Warriors. Whereas a game like SF4 made it “easier” to get in but, in my opinion, much harder to master because it was a lot more balanced.

Last edited by de_jesus; 08-07-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:35 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
. Whereas a game like SF4 made it “easier” to get in but, in my opinion, much harder to master because it was a lot more balanced.

This is exactly my point above.
You should be able to buy the game and compete. No grind for badges, no pay2win.
The only differentiator will be actual skill

Limiting park and pro-am to particular premade builds would make the online game easier to balance.

And without it they’ll never make it as an esports and the 2k league will die in less than 3 seasons

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »