Home

Thoughts on right stick defense?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on right stick defense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-12-2018, 05:50 AM   #1
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

At first I didn't like the idea of having steal on the right stick but after giving it some time it just felt natural.

Also looking at 2kU I didn't know shot contest and hands up were two different types of controls.

To shot contest you have to flick R stick up and depending how far you are he will do a lunge hands up defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Thoughts on right stick defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
At first I didn't like the idea of having steal on the right stick but after giving it some time it just felt natural.

Also looking at 2kU I didn't know shot contest and hands up were two different types of controls.

To shot contest you have to flick R stick up and depending how far you are he will do a lunge hands up defense.
nothing New There. the just Change right Stick controls every few years... Steals with the right Stick have been There before before they decided to go back to right Stick solely for contesting and cutting someone off. now they again decided to throw the control over to go back to another Thing they already had...

in my opinion i dont like it. i often Times just want to contest someone or put my hands up which could result in a Bad Steak attempt/Foul now, if i push s
the Stick slightly in the wrong direction.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Re: Thoughts on right stick defense?

Conceptually, I love it. I was mad they removed it last year because I loved it in 2K17. They really expanded on it this year, but I will say, it's a little less intuitive than I'd like it do be when playing on the wings on 2K cam. I always play on camera relative because all of the offensive controls are very intuitive no matter where you are. But I often end up flicking in the wrong direction on defense because they don't seem to correlate in the same way.

I do know that I can change it to absolute solely for defense, but I didn't much care for that either. I'm gonna chalk it up to a steep learning curve though. I feel like once I master it in a few weeks, I'll be the true Clamp God I always knew I could be. There's so much potential in the system.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Pro

I like the “idea” but dislike the implementation.
They had it right a few years ago, then removed it, and now brought it back but messed it up from what it used to be.
Additionally, I wish they would have brought back the right stick shading that they had a few years ago. It was a legit basketball option and it worked very well.
What I don’t like about this years right stick defense is that I can’t just put my hands up and not jump. If I put my hands up and the opposition pump fakes my guy will often times leave his feet. If I wanted to leave my feet, I’d press Y or triangle. Also, at random times, my guy will attempt a steal instead of putting his hands up. And also sometimes my guy will attempt a shot contest on someone 10 ft away while I’m trying to right stick defend my guy down low.
I hate any auto contesting and making my player do something that I didn’t input for him to do.
2k said that auto contest was removed by default and this is simply NOT true. It was just moved from L2 to the right stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »