Home

Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in?

This is a discussion on Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
It's not a matter of volume, but efficiency. Shooting a high AMOUNT of 3s is fine; hitting 80+% of them is not.

Especially when they're worth an extra point and the whole purpose of them existing in the NBA is their added difficulty vs. 2 point shots.
This...so is it a roster ratings issue? Tendencies? Mike tried to tune it and that didn't go too well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
This...so is it a roster ratings issue? Tendencies? Mike tried to tune it and that didn't go too well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Correction. Mike attempted to tune it then changed his mind and reverted everything back to Day 1 sliders.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Correction. Mike attempted to tune it then changed his mind and reverted everything back to Day 1 sliders.

I thought he changed it slightly, if I recall correctly he did one tuning, then a second one a day later, which he thought was too tough (I loved it). Then he rolled it back to that first tuning. Which was slightly tougher than out of the box.

Then came the patch which was supposed to help with shot contests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
I thought he changed it slightly, if I recall correctly he did one tuning, then a second one a day later, which he thought was too tough (I loved it). Then he rolled it back to that first tuning. Which was slightly tougher than out of the box.

Then came the patch which was supposed to help with shot contests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure we're on Day 1 sliders. However, his original tweet said "2 days ago". I guess it doesn't matter, because the percentages are still sightly too high coming off screens and when contested. I only say sightly, because I play PNO and people let the AI play their defense. If they nerf it too much, then it will become difficult to score in general.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
MVP

ph33's Arena

Thumbs up Re: Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in?

Sharpshooters that leak out in transition and have a free run to the rim often stop at the wings or run to the corners to take a 3 instead of a freebie layup when they have no defense in front of them.

The only time this should ever happen is if you're on fire and it's a heat check. But there's no incentive to do that because of how easily the 3 will go in.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #14
Rookie

I think there are multiple points to argue about within the shooting system.

1st problem(Tendencies and Rating divide) Passive Shooters

Take Rubio for example he torched OKC in the playoffs. He still is a passive shooter though as a player. How do you even convey this in a video game?

So what rating should Rubio have(bad ratings cause he doesn't have the tendency to shoot or good ratings cause he torched OKC).

You can do that for every bad shooter down the line(Wall, Westbrook, Roberson).

When do you control when is a good shot for these players because the user will approach the situation like it is not real life.

2nd problem(Global Ratings) My theory of MyCareer

My general understanding is that ratings are global

So take MyCareer for example
There are people who want to be viable players for many archetypes in MyCareer which means you need shooting for those archetypes and that affects other modes.

There are builds that have little to no shooting but 2K made them viable with OK ratings.

It makes having a 60 rating weird because some guys say you should be able to shoot(max cap for MyCareer non-shooting build) so the game is tuned so you can earn that bronze shooting badge at 60 but a NBA roster player with that same rating cashes consistently like he's gunning for an imaginary badge he shouldn't be getting.

That is a conflict.

3rd problem(New Mechanic: Green Window)
The Green Window breaks the game. By adding such a mechanic you added a reward for skill in shooting which is why I am not against the mechanic. But at the same time this overly rewards average players because now you get people who are greening everything(finding only 1-2 good releases that get a good green window).

This destroys the need for a "custom" or even a realistic jumpshot(no one is using slower older era players jumpshots) when only 1-2 get the "however many millsecond" green window. By not addressing adding a higher skill gap of getting open for shooters with a reward like the Green Window mechanic. It makes shooting too beneficial and gamebreaking for the meta of basketball in the 2K community.

My thoughts are

Just give passive shooters bad ratings. *Insert Bad shooter here* going 1-9 more times than not would give defenders a more realistic sense then letting offensive users know he can sometimes shoot with 7-11 games(though letting them earn shooting rhythm through Takeover/rhythm system sounds like a good compromise).

Seperate the ratings of MyCareer and normal modes(bad NBA shooters should stay bad)

Attack the movement of shooters in the next game(or if easier remove the Green Window entirely)

Make Slower Jumpshots more viable(this will eliminate users going to 1-2 jumpshots )

Address the success of Corner 3's

https://www.twitch.tv/orlandotill

Protesting PNO
MTU

PSN: OrlandoTill

Last edited by OrlandoTill; 10-24-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 1

He has his hands tied.

There’s a crowd out there who believes there is some skill in shooting despite 90% of players using a shot meter as a crutch with the same 4 jump shot animations.

So yea people attribute the word skill to areas of the game like shooting and rage if they shoot less than 80% wide open. To them ratings don’t really matter only the timing should be a function and they outnumber you guys.

At this point 2k uses the nba license to sell their cash cow that is the park. 2k17 was the last time mike looked out for the offline crowd I believe he he even gave us a offline slider set here that produced realistic shooting %’s.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I'm pretty sure we're on Day 1 sliders. However, his original tweet said "2 days ago". I guess it doesn't matter, because the percentages are still sightly too high coming off screens and when contested. I only say sightly, because I play PNO and people let the AI play their defense. If they nerf it too much, then it will become difficult to score in general.
I think there was another tuning. I’ve read dimez and a few others say every contests now is a light contest despite being open,

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »