Home

2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEFENSE

This is a discussion on 2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEFENSE within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: 2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEF

Yes overall i agree that driving layup are fairly easier than standing layups but; in order for standing layups to be more effective user has to have a sort of knowledge threshold on with RS layup differences and combine with that with LS and that makes you have to layup with RS as it's advanced. CPU use that advanced threshold so user has to use and be more advanced for better results on standing layups in terms of timing and with what direction is with what standing layup you'Re going to do.

But overall aside being more advanced on RS in a square only world scale it's always easier to make contact layups with square than standing with square. That's true.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: 2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataman5
Yes overall i agree that driving layup are fairly easier than standing layups but; in order for standing layups to be more effective user has to have a sort of knowledge threshold on with RS layup differences and combine with that with LS and that makes you have to layup with RS as it's advanced. CPU use that advanced threshold so user has to use and be more advanced for better results on standing layups in terms of timing and with what direction is with what standing layup you'Re going to do.

But overall aside being more advanced on RS in a square only world scale it's always easier to make contact layups with square than standing with square. That's true.
thats sounds all well and good with the current system. i still stand by the current system is broken if it were attempting to be more realistic. now again, its not actually broken because 2k did it on purpose for their own reasoning.

but lets play along for a moment. if it were more realistic. it would have to remember. you dont take players FG5's and use that as a guide alone. you have to take into the equation where the defenders were when these players were doing driving layups/standing layups/dunks.

example:
if i'm alone in real life and I"m a NBA player. how often will I miss a standing layup or dunk? I will miss occasionally but lets be realistic. how many times do you see the same guy miss a standing layup completely alone within a game? over the course of an 82 game season?

Not many. I would be its like 2% of the time. These guys are the nba for a reason. if you allow them to be wide open under the basket like that, they wont miss, almost ever. but even I a non pro wouldnt miss but about 5% of those same shots with no defenders in position to bother my shot/layups/dunk.

Once you setup your game in this manner. meaning these shots released at the perfect time will be 100% accurate all the time. and because its so close and they have a 98% make(what we suggested above) when no defense is close enough to bother them. This means the release timing on standing layups/dunks should be very forgiving. lets say you release it slightly late, you should still make a wide open standing layup with a guy rated in the 90's in standing layups 85% of the time. same if it's slightly early. The only difference between slightly late or slight early is IF you miss how it bounces off the rim/backboard. slightly early is a softer touch, slides off closer to the rim where it hit. release it late is a harder layup therefore it bounces further or higher when it hits something.

if you are more than slight early or slight late(not at very late or very early)...then this same wide open shot with the same highly rated guy, should make that shot 60 to 70% of the time. if its very early or very late. its should be 50 to 60% made.

Thats how forgiving it should be because it represents how EASY it is to make a standing layup when no defense is around to bother you when you're a highly rated nba player.

Now for those that say but but the percentages are too high. NO they are not. these dudes will not miss those shots in real life if left alone. I know this from watching games, watching these guys in practice and being lucky enough to play with and against some of them in the offseason in leagues a few years back. you realize why they are special when you see them up close and dissect their games. even the bench warmers. they dont miss. unless you make them miss.

So now. no nerfing of the standing layups when alone.
This means dont nerf the defense either when these guys are no longer alone. But also, dont help the defense either by putting a large force field around them where they could be 5 ft away but you still feel the shot contest even if they are just standing in the paint hands to the sides or hands up. be realistic. standing 5 ft away aint scaring nobody. so why is my guy spazzing out with the dumb animations or blowing layups like Prime KG has closed out on my layup? doesnt make real logical sense.
But when a guy is all up on the guy all in his personal space, and defending him well. Start making those release points super unforgiving, depending on the defenders/height/weight/strength/length, athleticism, and position next to the offensive player. now this does not mean just standing there with your hands up is enough. that aint enough to stop or slow a 90+ rated guy with a 90+ rated standing layup/dunk. you the defender are going to have to body him up and maybe even jump to block the shot or almost block it to make him miss often. But also there is no guarantee you wont be called for a foul when you body him up even when you dont jump. remember the real nba calls those fouls too.

its a chess match in real life. nothing is given to either side in real life. 2k for whatever reason likes to choose sides from year to year. one year it gives the offense everything. the next its the defense. now its certain badges/archs are OP others are nerfed to some degree.

it doesnt have to be that way if they build the game's foundation based more so on reality vs a cartoonish style. but again, they probably do the later for a monetary reason. and just say out loud that they are going sim to keep their original core audience.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
Its stuff like this that kills the true effectiveness of scoring under the basket, https://streamable.com/c9ti4 , Olajuwon clearly has the position to put the ball up and against the glass or even right to the rim, but the games contesting mechanics make it so Malone just needs to put his hands up, under the backboard, and Olajuwon puts up some off balance dumb looking shot as if Malone is shoving him.
This clip proves my point i just made. the dream would've made that shot and would not have flailed his arms and body like that. because malone isnt actually pushing him like that. its the Aura of malone pushing the dream. but lets say for arguments sake Malone did push dream at the waist with his hips(it happens). odds are that would be a foul. Notice the game yells out "Thats a FOUL!!" or "AND 1" or all sorts of stuff about being hit. if the game knows to send audio clips of Foul or AND 1, it means the game knows there is way too much contact. do i like the idea of calls being missed from time to time? YEP. thats real too. but do i like it to happen 80% of the time? NO, thats a cartoon again.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #28
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

What is this nonsense?

I was all for layup timing but this is ridiculous. I'd rather them just get rid of the meter and timing all together. No hidden meters or vibration or any of that. Just get rid of all of it and let ratings determine everything like in 16.

Last edited by Hustle Westbrook; 12-05-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #29
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
This clip proves my point i just made. the dream would've made that shot and would not have flailed his arms and body like that. because malone isnt actually pushing him like that. its the Aura of malone pushing the dream. but lets say for arguments sake Malone did push dream at the waist with his hips(it happens). odds are that would be a foul. Notice the game yells out "Thats a FOUL!!" or "AND 1" or all sorts of stuff about being hit. if the game knows to send audio clips of Foul or AND 1, it means the game knows there is way too much contact. do i like the idea of calls being missed from time to time? YEP. thats real too. but do i like it to happen 80% of the time? NO, thats a cartoon again.
I know, its like the dream was dreaming....haha, no but for real this game is broken.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »