Home

2k Mechanics Open Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 2k Mechanics Open Discussion Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: 2k Mechanics Open Discussion Thread

Agree with most of everything posted here....but in the interest of adding something new:

NEUTRAL OUTCOMES. NEUTRAL OUTCOMES. NEUTRAL OUTCOMES.

Instances where users can trigger a risky strategy and not succeed, but see no downside from FAILURE are crippling to gameplay. They totally negate the Risk/Reward aspect of H2H and imbalance the game horribly. Worse? It encourages SPAM because it rewards accuracy by volume. Even the rookie player understands why you should maximize attempts when there's little to no reward for failure.

Its the reason steal spam was a thing in 2K19 and why spam can be used to defend the rim--see here as Mirotic misses a block horribly but since there's little chance of a foul being called it works to his advantage by giving Giannis time to size up a block.

Or here when KD flat-out misses a steal but its still in position to stop a drive to the basket:

No good can come from Neutral Outcomes.

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-15-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
Rookie

DatGuy12x2's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
Now onto negatives just in case I seem like a 2K apologist lol. One mechanic I hope they address is how regimented the CPU is. I understand tendencies and gameplan, but certain things make them way to easy to guard. Inbound plays that are guaranteed steals if you've played the game more than twice because they seem to be hard-coded to pass it to the same guy 98% of the time regardless of the defense. Forcing a gameplan that's not working. I remember playing domination early this year and D'Angelo Russell tried to exploit my Kyrie in the post. It worked twice, maybe, but after I adjusted to stop it, there wasn't an adjustment. Even once he got the snowflake icon, he kept trying until he was subbed out.

I'd also like them to do a better job of preventing cheesy strategies from being as effective as real basketball. If it wouldn't be consistently successful IRL, make it so in the game. If you tried to full court press an NBA team for an extended period of time, or early in the game, they'd blow you off the floor. Continuously reaching or poorly timed blocks should take the defender out of the play. I hate getting blocked after I get a guy up in the air with a fake, but he's able to jump right back up, especially bigs that aren't athletic. I've already seen signs in leaked gameplay that bigs are significantly slower, so I hope that takes care of that.
I've played a lot of MLO with some friends throughout the summer and these are the things that have really stood out to me. When guys should be out of position reaching for steals, over playing passing lanes or jumping on pump fakes, it feels as if there is rarely punishment. We don't have sim rules in this league so guys tend to off-ball and take a lot of chances without much of penalty. I really hope it is something they fix, getting a guy out of position should be to your advantage more often than not.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Agree with most of everything posted here....but in the interest of adding something new:

NEUTRAL OUTCOMES. NEUTRAL OUTCOMES. NEUTRAL OUTCOMES.

Instances where users can trigger a risky strategy and not succeed, but see no downside from FAILURE are crippling to gameplay. They totally negate the Risk/Reward aspect of H2H and imbalance the game horribly. Worse? It encourages SPAM because it rewards accuracy by volume. Even the rookie player understand why you should maximize attempts when there's little to no reward for failure.

Its the reason steal spam was a thing in 2K19 and why spam can be used to defend the rim--see here as Mirotic misses a block horribly but since there's little chance of a foul being called it works to his advantage by giving Giannis time to size up a block.

Or here when KD flat-out misses a steal but its still in position to stop a drive to the basket:

No good can come from Neutral Outcomes.
What's silly is how backwards 2k got this.

On defense, reaching and jumping (i.e. gambling on defense) carries little to no penalty as opposed to taking the defender out of the play as it should.

Meanwhile, on blocked shots and tipped or otherwise loose balls where realistically the ball itself should behave in "neutral fashion" as it were, it tends to gravitate into the hands of nearest offensive player, sometimes even back to the player who lost the ball in the first place.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
Pro

Shot animations being more important than skill and ratings. There shouldnt be videos of best jumpshots and base 11 shots for myplayer or myteam modes.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt500
Shot animations being more important than skill and ratings. There shouldnt be videos of best jumpshots and base 11 shots for myplayer or myteam modes.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
This bothers me too...guys changing their jumper every month to whatever the new "Green every shot!" combination the youtubers are raving about.IMO In order for 2K to evolve, they have got to tone down and eliminate the exploiting of video game strategies in favor of players exploiting actual basketball strategies (i.e. mismatches,play actions,etc.)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #14
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

As much as I agree.... I think you guys forget. It's a video game.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

Not really, at least not in my case anyway.I'm not even exceptionally against letting people go on Park or whatever and just ball out;all I want is to also be able to just hop online and play with and against people in a more realistic NBA style without it being a chore to set up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

I doubt if anyone of us forgot that it's a video game.
We just speaking on the games mechanics and areas we would like to see improvement in.

2k has always pride itself as the #1 basketball simulation on the market so when we speak to the simulation aspect being a bit lacking in certain areas of the game, I see nothing wrong with that type of discussion because 2k is known for its authentic approach to creating a simulation of a sports in the form of a video game.

Almost all the things that I've asked to be implemented gameplay wise (for balancing proposes) has been done before (at one time or another) in a basketball game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »